- Volume 16 Issue 14
DOI QR Code
Ochratoxin A Contamination of Red Chili Peppers from Chile, Bolivia and Peru, Countries with a High Incidence of Gallbladder Cancer
- Ikoma, Toshikazu ;
- Tsuchiya, Yasuo ;
- Asai, Takao ;
- Okano, Kiyoshi ;
- Ito, Naoko ;
- Endoh, Kazuo ;
- Yamamoto, Masaharu ;
- Nakamura, Kazutoshi
- Published : 2015.09.02
Our previous study detected aflatoxins in red chili peppers from Chile, Bolivia, and Peru, each of which have a high incidence of gallbladder cancer (GBC). Since the aflatoxin B1 concentration was not so high in these peppers, it is important to clarify the presence of other mycotoxins. Here we attempted to determine any associations between the concentrations of aflatoxins and ochratoxin A (OTA) in red chili peppers, and the corresponding GBC incidences. We collected red chili peppers from three areas in Peru: Trujillo (a high GBC incidence area), Cusco (an intermediate GBC incidence area), and Lima (a low GBC incidence rate), and from Chile and Bolivia. Aflatoxins and OTA were extracted with organic solvents. The concentrations of aflatoxins B1, B2, G1, and G2, and OTA were measured by high-performance liquid chromatography. The values obtained were compared with the incidence of GBC in each area or country. All of the red chili peppers from the three areas showed contamination with aflatoxins below the Commission of the European Communities (EC) recommended limits (
Gallbladder cancer;ochratoxin A;aflatoxin;incidence rate;HPLC;ecologic study
- Andia ME, Hsing AW, Andreotti G, et al (2008). Geographic variation of gallbladder cancer mortality and risk factors in Chile: a population-based ecologic study. Int J Cancer, 123, 1411-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.23662
- Asai T, Tsuchiya Y, Okano K, et al (2012). Aflatoxin contamination of red chili pepper from Bolivia and Peru, countries with high gallbladder cancer incidence rates. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 13, 5167-70. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.5167
- Ayed-Boussema I, Pascussi JM, Zaied C, et al (2012). Ochratoxin A induces CYP3A4, 2B6, 3A5, 2C9, 1A1, and CYP1A2 gene expression in primary cultured human hepatocytes: a possible activation of nuclear receptors. Drug Chem Toxicol, 35, 71-80. https://doi.org/10.3109/01480545.2011.589438
- Baez S, Tsuchiya Y, Calvo A, et al (2010). Genetic variants involved in gallstone formation and capsaicin metabolism, and the risk of gallbladder cancer in Chilean women. World J Gastroenterol, 16, 372-8. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v16.i3.372
- Bircan C (2009). Incidence of ochratoxin A in dried fruits and co-occurrence with aflatoxins in dried figs. Food Chem Toxicol, 47, 1996-2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2009.05.008
- CODEX (1995). CODEX general standard for contaminants and toxins in food and feed (CODEX STAN 193-1995). 1-44.
- Copetti MV, Pereira JL, Iamanaka BT, et al (2010). Ochratoxigenic fungi and ochratoxin A in cocoa during farm processing. Int J Food Microbiol, 143, 67-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2010.07.031
- Hariharan D, Saied A, Kocher HM (2008). Analysis of mortality rates for gallbladder cancer across the world. HPB, 10, 327-31. https://doi.org/10.1080/13651820802007464
- Huff JE (1991). Carcinogenicity of ochratoxin A in experimental. animals. IARC Sci Publ, 115, 229-44.
- IARC (1993). Agents classified by the IARC monographs, Volumes 1-112. http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/ Classification/ClassificationsGroupOrder.pdf.
- Kew MC (2003). Synergistic interaction between aflatoxin B1 and hepatitis B virus in hepatocarcinogenesis. Liver Int, 23, 405-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1478-3231.2003.00869.x
- Lazcano-Ponce EC, Miquel JF, Munoz N, et al (2001). Epidemiology and molecular pathology of gallbladder cancer. CA Cancer J Clin, 51, 349-64. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.51.6.349
- Mateo R, Medina A, Mateo EM, et al (2007). An overview of ochratoxin A in beer and wine. Int J Food Microbiol, 119, 79-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2007.07.029
- Mechoud MA, Juarez GE, de Valdez GF, et al (2012). Lactobacillus reuteri CRL 1098 and Lactobacillus acidophilus CRL 1014 differently reduce in vitro immunotoxic effect induced by Ochratoxin A. Food Chem Toxicol, 50, 4310-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2012.07.070
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (2008). Handling of foods containing mycotoxins (aflatoxins), Shoku-An No. 0728004, Tokyo.
- Olsen JH, Dragsted L, Autrup H (1988). Cancer risk and occupational. exposure to aflatoxins in Denmark. Br J Cancer, 58, 392-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1988.226
- Olsen M, Jonsson N, Magan N, et al (2006). Prevention of ochratoxin A in cereals in Europe. Adv Exp Med Biol, 571, 317-42. https://doi.org/10.1007/0-387-28391-9_21
- Organization of American States in cooperation with the Mayan Reserve Foundation. Chillies and the aflatoxin contamination. 1-4, http://www.tsdfbelize.org/OAS%20 website/pics%20z_oasfactsheet/0201Aflatoxin.pdf.
- Ringot D, Chango A, Schneider YJ, et al (2006). Toxicokinetics and toxicodynamics of ochratoxin A, an update. Chem Biol Interact, 159, 18-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2005.10.106
- Sauvant C, Holzinger H, Mildenberger S, et al (2005). Exposure to nephrotoxic ochratoxin A enhances collagen secretion in human renal proximal tubular cells. Mol Nutr Food Res, 49, 31-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.200400020
- Scheuer R, Gareis M (2002). Occurrence of ochratoxin A and B in spices. Mycotoxin Res, 18, 62-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02946698
- Serra I, Yamamoto M, Calvo A, et al (2002). Association of chili pepper consumption, low socio-economic status and longstanding gallstones with gallbladder cancer in a Chilean population. Int J Cancer, 102, 407-11. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10716
- Sieber SM, Correa P, Dalgard DW, et al (1979). Induction of osteogenic sarcomas and tumors of the hepatobiliary system in nonhuman primates with aflatoxin B1. Cancer Res, 39, 4545-54.
- Strom BL, Soloway RD, Rios-Dalenz JL, et al (1995). Risk factors for gallbladder cancer. An international. collaborative case-control study. Cancer, 76, 1747-56. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19951115)76:10<1747::AID-CNCR2820761011>3.0.CO;2-L
- Suarez-Quiroz M, Gonzalez-Rios O, Barel M, et al (2005). Effect of the post-harvest processing procedure on OTA occurrence in artificially contaminated coffee. Int J Food Microbiol, 103, 339-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2004.11.044
- Sugita-Konishi Y, Tanaka T, Nakajima M, et al (2006). The comparison of two clean-up procedures, multifunctional column and immunoaffinity column, for HPLC determination of ochratoxin A in cereals, raisins and green coffee beans. Talanta, 69, 650-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2005.10.036
- The Commission of the European Communities. Commission regulation (EC) (2006). 1881. 1-35.
- Tsuchiya Y, Terao M, Okano K, et al (2011). Mutagenicity and mutagens of the red chili pepper as gallbladder cancer risk factor in Chilean women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 471-6.
- Wangikar PB, Dwivedi P, Sinha N, et al (2005). Teratogenic effects in rabbits of simultaneous exposure to ochratoxin A and aflatoxin B1 with special. reference to microscopic effects. Toxicology, 215, 37-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tox.2005.06.022
- Wistuba II, Gazdar AF (2004). Gallbladder cancer: lessons from a rare tumour. Nat Rev Cancer, 4, 695-706. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1429
- World Health Organization (2002). IARC monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans. Aflatoxins, 82, 1771-300.
- Wu Q, Dohnal V, Huang L, et al (2011). Metabolic pathways of ochratoxin A. Curr Drug Metab, 12, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.2174/138920011794520026
- Zaied C, Abid S, Bouaziz C, et al (2010). Ochratoxin A levels in spices and dried nuts consumed in Tunisia. Food Addit Contam Part B Surveill, 3, 52-7. https://doi.org/10.1080/19440041003587302
- Zimmerli B, Dick R (1996). Ochratoxin A in table wine and grape-juice: Occurrence and risk assessment. Food Addit Contam, 13, 655-68. https://doi.org/10.1080/02652039609374451
- Occurrence of ochratoxin A in typical salami produced in different regions of Italy pp.1867-1632, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12550-018-0338-x
- Frequency and characteristics of gallbladder cancer at a referral hospital in southern Peru, 2009-2014: a descriptive study vol.18, pp.02, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5867/medwave.2018.02.7184