- Volume 16 Issue 14
DOI QR Code
Preparation of Immunotoxin Herceptin-Botulinum and Killing Effects on Two Breast Cancer Cell Lines
- Hajighasemlou, Saieh (Iran Food and Drug Administration) ;
- Alebouyeh, Mahmoud (Iran Food and Drug Administration) ;
- Rastegar, Hossein (Iran Food and Drug Administration) ;
- Manzari, Mojgan Taghizadeh (Iran Food and Drug Administration) ;
- Mirmoghtadaei, Milad (Tehran University of Medical Sciences, International Campus (TUMS-IC)) ;
- Moayedi, Behjat (Isfahan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Ahmadzadeh, Maryam (Department of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Pharmacy, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Parvizpour, Farzad (Department of Applied Cell Sciences, School of Advanced Technologies in Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Johari, Behrooz (Department of Biotechnology, Pasteur Institute of Iran) ;
- Naeini, Maria Moslemi (Cellular & Molecular Research Centre, Iran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Farajollahi, Mohammad M (Cellular & Molecular Research Centre, Iran University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.09.02
Background: Worldwide, breast cancer is the most common cancer diagnosed among women and a leading cause of cancer deaths. The age of onset in Iran has become reduced by a decade for unknown reasons. Herceptin, a humanized monoclonal antibody, is a target therapy for breast cancer cells with over expression of HER2-neu receptors, but it is an expensive drug with only 20% beneficial rate of survival. This study introduces a novel approach to enhance the efficacy of this drug through immunoconjugation of the antibody to botulinum toxin. Decreasing the cost and adverse effects of the antibody were secondary goals of this study. Materials and Methods: Botulinum toxin was conjugated with Herceptin using heterobifunctional cross linkers, succinimidyl acetylthiopropionate (SATP) and sulfo-succinimidyl-4-(N-maleimidomethyl) cyclohexane-1-carboxylate (SMCC) according to the supplier's guidelines and tested on two breast cancer cell lines: SK-BR-3 and BT-474. Toxin and Herceptin were also used separately as controls. The cytotoxicity assay was also performed using the new bioconjugate on cultured cells with Alamar blue and a fluorescence plate reader. Results: Herceptin-Toxin bioconjugation significantly improved Herceptin efficacy on both breast cancer cell lines when compared to the control group. Conclusions: Toxin-Herceptin bioconjugation can be a potential candidate with increased efficiency for treating breast cancer patients with over expression of the HER2 receptor.
- Adachi S, Yoshimura T, Matsuoka T, et al (2011). [Appearance of skin and nail toxicity in patients with breast cancer who underwent trastuzumab-containing chemotherapy]. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho, 38, 1453-6.
- Afsharfard A, Mozaffar M, Orang E, et al (2013). Trends in epidemiology, clinical and histopathological characteristics of breast cancer in Iran: results of a 17 year study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6905-11. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6905
- Ahmad S, Gupta S, Kumar R, et al (2014). Herceptin resistance database for understanding mechanism of resistance in breast cancer patients. Sci Rep, 4, 4483.
- Albanell J, Baselga J (1999). Trastuzumab, a humanized anti-HER2 monoclonal antibody, for the treatment of breast cancer. Drugs Today (Barc), 35, 931-46.
- Albanell J, Codony J, Rovira A, et al (2003). Mechanism of action of anti-HER2 monoclonal antibodies: scientific update on trastuzumab and 2C4. Adv Exp Med Biol, 532, 253-68. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4615-0081-0_21
- Alshenawy HA (2012). Prevalence of androgen receptors in invasive breast carcinoma and its relation with estrogen receptor, progesterone receptor and Her2/neu expression. J Egypt Natl Canc Inst, 24, 77-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnci.2012.04.001
- Althuis MD, Dozier JM, Anderson WF, et al (2005). Global trends in breast cancer incidence and mortality 1973-1997. Int J Epidemiol, 34, 405-12. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyh414
- Avila AD, Calderon CF, Perez RM, et al (2007). Construction of an immunotoxin by linking a monoclonal antibody against the human epidermal growth factor receptor and a hemolytic toxin. Biol Res, 40, 173-83.
- Bandala C, Perez-Santos JL, Lara-Padilla E, et al (2013). Effect of botulinum toxin A on proliferation and apoptosis in the T47D breast cancer cell line. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 891-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.891
- Barok M, Tanner M, Koninki K, et al (2011). Trastuzumab-DM1 is highly effective in preclinical models of HER2-positive gastric cancer. Cancer Lett, 306, 171-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2011.03.002
- Beuzeboc P, Scholl S, Garau XS, et al (1999). [Herceptin, a monoclonal humanized antibody anti-HER2: a major therapeutic progress in breast cancers overexpressing this oncogene?]. Bull Cancer, 86, 544-9.
- Chan YL, Correll CC, Wool IG (2004). The location and the significance of a cross-link between the sarcin/ricin domain of ribosomal RNA and the elongation factor-G. J Mol Biol, 337, 263-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmb.2004.01.020
- Corradino B, Di Lorenzo S, Moschella F (2012). Botulinum toxin A for oral cavity cancer patients: in microsurgical patients BTX injections in major salivary glands temporarily reduce salivary production and the risk of local complications related to saliva stagnation. Toxins (Basel), 4, 956-61. https://doi.org/10.3390/toxins4110956
- d'Agnano I, Bucci B, Mottolese M, et al (1996). DNA ploidy, cell kinetics, and epidermal growth factor receptor and HER2/neu oncoprotein expression in primary operable breast cancer. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 784, 472-81. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1996.tb16266.x
- Dang C, Lin N, Moy B, et al (2010). Dose-dense doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by weekly paclitaxel with trastuzumab and lapatinib in HER2/neu-overexpressed/ amplified breast cancer is not feasible because of excessive diarrhea. J Clin Oncol, 28, 2982-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.26.5900
- Dao KL, Sawant RR, Hendricks JA, et al (2012). Design, synthesis, and initial biological evaluation of a steroidal anti-estrogen-doxorubicin bioconjugate for targeting estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer cells. Bioconjug Chem, 23, 785-95. https://doi.org/10.1021/bc200645n
- DeSantis C, Ma J, Bryan L, et al (2014). Breast cancer statistics, 2013. CA Cancer J Clin, 64, 52-62. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21203
- Hosseini MS, Arab M, Nemati Honar B, et al (2013). Age - specific incidence rate change at breast Cancer and its different histopathologic subtypes in Iran and Western countries. Pak J Med Sci, 29, 1354-7.
- Houchins JP (2000). Immunotoxin-induced apoptosis. Stem Cells, 18, 384-5. https://doi.org/10.1634/stemcells.18-5-384
- Kaufmann R, Muller P, Hildenbrand G, et al (2011). Analysis of Her2/neu membrane protein clusters in different types of breast cancer cells using localization microscopy. J Microsc, 242, 46-54. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2818.2010.03436.x
- Lattova E, Tomanek B, Bartusik D, et al (2010). N-glycomic changes in human breast carcinoma MCF-7 and T-lymphoblastoid cells after treatment with herceptin and herceptin/Lipoplex. J Proteome Res, 9, 1533-40. https://doi.org/10.1021/pr9010266
- Layeeque R, Hochberg J, Siegel E, et al (2004). Botulinum toxin infiltration for pain control after mastectomy and expander reconstruction. Ann Surg, 240, 608-13.
- Li LX, Tang YM, Zhang HZ, et al (2008). [Preparation of the immunotoxin 2E8-norcantharidin and its targeting killing effect in vitro]. Zhonghua Er Ke Za Zhi, 46, 493-7.
- Meyer S, Leusen JH, Boross P (2014). Regulation of complement and modulation of its activity in monoclonal antibody therapy of cancer. MAbs, 6.
- Mohanraj D, Ramakrishnan S (1995). Cytotoxic effects of ricin without an interchain disulfide bond: genetic modification and chemical crosslinking studies. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1243, 399-406. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4165(94)00166-U
- Naumann MK, Hamm H, Lowe NJ (2002). Effect of botulinum toxin type A on quality of life measures in patients with excessive axillary sweating: a randomized controlled trial. Br J Dermatol, 147, 1218-26. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2133.2002.05059.x
- Nezu A, Iwasaki N (2013). [Botulinum toxin in the treatment of cerebral palsy in childhood: the domesteic expert opinions and the role of pediatric neurologists in the management for severely handicapped children]. No To Hattatsu, 45, 147-9.
- Olver IN (2008). Trastuzumab as the lead monoclonal antibody in advanced breast cancer: choosing which patient and when. Future Oncol, 4, 125-31. https://doi.org/10.2217/147966188.8.131.52
- Perez EA (2001). The role of adjuvant monoclonal antibody therapy for breast cancer: rationale and new studies. Curr Oncol Rep, 3, 516-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11912-001-0073-9
- Ravindra P, Jackson BL, Parkinson RJ (2013). Botulinum toxin type A for the treatment of non-neurogenic overactive bladder: does using onabotulinumtoxinA (Botox((R)) ) or abobotulinumtoxinA (Dysport((R)) ) make a difference? BJU Int, 112, 94-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/bju.12028
- Ray P (1993). Botulinum toxin A inhibits acetylcholine release from cultured neurons in vitro. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim, 29, 456-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02639379
- Singh R, Samant U, Hyland S, et al (2007). Target-specific cytotoxic activity of recombinant immunotoxin scFv(MUC1)- ETA on breast carcinoma cells and primary breast tumors. Mol Cancer Ther, 6, 562-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-06-0604
- Sparano JA (2001). Cardiac toxicity of trastuzumab (Herceptin): implications for the design of adjuvant trials. Semin Oncol, 28, 20-7. https://doi.org/10.1053/sonc.2001.22813
- Taghavi A, Fazeli Z, Vahedi M, et al (2012). Increased trend of breast cancer mortality in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 367-70. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.367
- Tsai HT, Isaacs C, Fu AZ, et al (2014). Risk of cardiovascular adverse events from trastuzumab (Herceptin((R))) in elderly persons with breast cancer: a population-based study. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 144, 163-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-014-2836-7
- Untch M, Ditsch N, Hermelink K (2003). Immunotherapy: new options in breast cancer treatment. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther, 3, 403-8. https://doi.org/10.1586/14737184.108.40.2063
- Wei X, Juan ZX, Min FX, et al (2011). Recombinant immunotoxin anti-c-Met/PE38KDEL inhibits proliferation and promotes apoptosis of gastric cancer cells. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 30, 67. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-9966-30-67
- Yoneyama T, Miyata K, Chikai T, et al (2008). Clostridium botulinum serotype D neurotoxin and toxin complex bind to bovine aortic endothelial cells via sialic acid. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol, 54, 290-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-695X.2008.00475.x
- Simultaneous targeted inhibition of Sox2-Oct4 transcription factors using decoy oligodeoxynucleotides to repress stemness properties in mouse embryonic stem cells vol.41, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/cbin.10847