- Volume 16 Issue 14
DOI QR Code
Frequency of Unnecessarily Biopsies among Patients with Suspicion of Prostate Cancer in Syrian Men
- Bachour, Dala-Maria (Department of Clinical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Damascus University) ;
- Chahin, Emil (Department of Clinical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Damascus University) ;
- Al-Fahoum, Sahar (Department of Clinical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Damascus University)
- Published : 2015.09.02
Background: The prevalence of prostate cancer is considered high in many countries, and screening tests are very important in order to detect prostate cancer in its early stages; however false positivity with these screening tests means that a lot of patients undergo unnecessary biopsy, which is an invasive procedure, for the confirmatory test. The purpose of this study was to estimate the frequency of unnecessary biopsy cases in patients referred for prostate biopsy in one of the most important and overload cancer centers in Syria. Materials and Methods: Retrospective data for a period of four years between January 2009 and December 2012 were collected in Al-Bayrouni University Medical hospital in Damascus, Syria. The patients from whom data were collected were referred to our histopathological department because of elevated prostate specific antigen (PSA) serum or an abnormal digital rectal examination (DRE). All patients underwent prostatic TRUS-guided biopsies. Diagnosis of prostate cancer (PCa) or benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) was based on histopathological examination and prostate cancers cases were graded and scored according to the Gleason score system. Results: For the 406 patients referred to biopsy, the
- Akman RY, Koseoglu H, Oguzulgen AI, et al (2014). Prostate Biopsy in the Elderly: Histologic Findings and Treatment Necessity. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8937-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.20.8937
- Albasri A, El-Siddig A, Hussainy A, et al (2014). Histopathologic characterization of prostate diseases in Madinah, Saudi Arabia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4175-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4175
- Anderson-Jackson L, McGrowder DA, Alexander-Lindo R (2012). Prostate specific antigen and gleason score in men with prostate cancer at a private diagnostic radiology centre in Western Jamaica. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1453-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1453
- Arafa MA, Rabah DM, Wahdan IH (2012). Awareness of general public towards cancer prostate and screening practice in arabic communities: a comparative multi-center study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4321-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4321
- Boyle P, Severi G, Giles GG (2003). The epidemiology of prostate cancer. Urol Clin North Am, 30, 209-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0094-0143(02)00181-7
- Burford DC, Kirby M, Austoker A (2010). Prostate cancer risk management programme information for primary care; PSA testing in asymptomatic men. evidence document. NHS Cancer Screening Programmes, 143-213.
- Cihan YB, Arslan A, Ergul MA (2013). Subtypes of white blood cells in patients with prostate cancer or benign prostatic hyperplasia and healthy individuals. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4779-83. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4779
- Dwivedi S, Goel A, Natu SM, et al (2011). Diagnostic and prognostic significance of prostate specific antigen and serum interleukin 18 and 10 in patients with locally advanced prostate cancer: a prospective study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1843-8.
- Felgueiras J, Silva JV, Fardilha M (2014). Prostate cancer: the need for biomarkers and new therapeutic targets. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B, 15, 16-42. https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.B1300106
- Ferlay J, Parkin DM, Steliarova-Foucher E (2010). Estimates of cancer incidence and mortality in Europe in 2008. Eur J Cancer, 46, 765-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2009.12.014
- Grivas N, Hastazeris K, Kafarakis V, et al (2012). Prostate cancer epidemiology in a rural area of north Western Greece. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 999-1002. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.999
- Heidenreich A, Bastian PJ, Bellmunt J, et al (2014). EAU guidelines on prostate cancer. part 1: screening, diagnosis, and local treatment with curative intent-update 2013. Eur Urol, 65, 124-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2013.09.046
- Humphrey (2004). Gleason grading and prognostic factors in carcinoma of the prostate. Modern Pathology, 17, 292-306. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.3800054
- Ismail SI, Soubani M, Nimri JM, Al-Zeer AH (2013). Cancer incidence in Jordan from 1996 to 2009-A comprehensive study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3527-34. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3527
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Xu J, et al (2010). Cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 60, 277-300. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20073
- Kash DP, Lal M, Hashmi AH, et al (2014). Utility of digital rectal examination, serum prostate specific antigen, and transrectal ultrasound in the detection of prostate cancer: a developing country perspective. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3087-91. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3087
- Madu CO, Lu Y (2010). Novel diagnostic biomarkers for prostate cancer. J Cancer, 6, 150-77.
- Mosli HA, Abdel-Meguid TA, Al-Maghrabi JA, et al (2009). The clinicopathologic patterns of prostatic diseases and prostate cancer in Saudi patients. Saudi Med J, 30, 1439-43.
- Nasseri K, Mills PK, Allan M (2007). Cancer incidence in the middle Eastern population of California, 1988-2004. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 405-11.
- Nelson WG, De Marzo AM, Isaacs WB (2003). Mechanisms of disease prostate cancer. N Engl J Med, 349, 366-81. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra021562
- Rashid R, Mubarak M, Kazi J (2013). Frequency of adenocarcinoma in transrectal ultrasound-guided prostate needle biopsies in men with clinical suspicion of prostate cancer and raised serum prostate specific antigen. Middle East J Cancer, 4, 73-8.
- Salim EI, Moore MA, Al-Lawati JA, et al (2009). Cancer epidemiology and control in the arab world-past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 3-16.
- Shamseddine A, Saleh A, Charafeddine M, et al (2014). Cancer trends in Lebanon: a review of incidence rates for the period of 2003-2008 and projections until 2018. Popul Health Metr, 12, 4. https://doi.org/10.1186/1478-7954-12-4
- Shariat SF, Roehrborn CG (2008). Using biopsy to detect prostate cancer. Rev Urol, 10, 262-80.
- Verim L, Yildirim A, Basok EK, et al (2013). Impact of PSA and DRE on histologic findings at prostate biopsy in Turkish Men over 75 years of age. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6085-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.6085
- Yang B, Chen WH, Wen XF, et al (2013). Role of DNA repairrelated gene polymorphisms in susceptibility to risk of prostate cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5839-42. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5839
- Zheng X-Y, Zhang P, Xie L-P, et al (2012). Prostate specific antigen velocity (PSAV) and PSAV per initial volume (PSAVD) for early detection of prostate cancer in Chinese men. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5529-33. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5529
- Zorlu F, Zorlu R, Divrik RT, et al (2014). Prostate cancer incidence in Turkey: an epidemiological study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9125-30. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9125