- Volume 16 Issue 14
Background: This analysis was conducted to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a combination of gemcitabine and nedaplatin in treating patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Methods: Clinical studies evaluating the efficacy and safety of a combination of gemcitabine and nedaplatin with attention to response and safety for patients with non-small cell lung cancer were identified using a predefined search strategy. Pooled response rates for gemcitabine and nedaplatin were calculated. Results: In gemcitabine and nedaplatin based regimens, 4 clinical studies including 112 patients with non-small cell lung cancer were considered eligible for inclusion. The pooled analysis suggested that the pooled reponse rate was 40.2% (45/112). Main side effects included grade 3-4 neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, and anemia. Grade 3-4 nonhematological toxicity included nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, and hepatic dysfunction. There were no treatment-related deaths. Conclusion: This evidence based analysis suggests that the combination of gemcitabine and nedaplatin is associated with good response rate and accepted toxicity for treating patients with non-small cell lung cancer.
- Cardenal F, Lopez-Cabrerizo MP, Anton A, et al (1999). Randomized phase III study of gemcitabine-cisplatin versus etoposide-cisplatin in the treatment of locally advanced or metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 17, 12-8.
- Crino L, Scagliotti GV, Ricci S, et al (1999). Gemcitabine and cisplatin versus mitomycin, ifosfamide, and cisplatin in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: A randomized phase III study of the Italian Lung Cancer Project. J Clin Oncol, 17, 3522-30.
- Ellis PM, Blais N, Soulieres D, et al (2011). A systematic review and Canadian consensus recommendations on the use of biomarkers in the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol, 6, 1379-91. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e318220cb8e
- Feld R, Sridhar SS, Shepherd FA, et al (2006). Use of the epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitors gefitinib and erlotinib in the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer: a systematic review. J Thorac Oncol, 1, 367-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1556-0864(15)31597-5
- Fossella FV, DeVore R, Kerr RN, et al (2000). Randomized phase iii trial of docetaxel versus vinorelbine or ifosfamide in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with platinum-containing chemotherapy regimens. The tax 320 Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Study Group. J Clin Oncol, 18, 2354-62.
- Hanna N, Shepherd FA, Fossella FV, et al (2004). Randomized phase III trial of pemetrexed versus docetaxel in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol, 22, 1589-97. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.08.163
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011) Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Kameyama Y, Okazaki N, Nakagawa M, et al (1990). Nephrotoxicity of a new platinum compaound, 254S, evaluated with rat kidney cortical slices. Toxicol Lett, 52, 15-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-4274(90)90161-E
- Kanzawa F, Koizumi F, Koh Y, et al (2001). In vitro synergistic interactions between the cisplatin analogue nedaplatin and the DNA topoisomerase I inhibitor irinotecan and the mechanism of this interaction. Clin Cancer Res, 7, 202-9.
- Kelly K, Crowley J, Bunn PA, Jr, et al (2001). Randomized phase III trial of paclitaxel plus carboplatin versus vinorelbine plus cisplatin in the treatment of patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a Southwest Oncology Group trial. J Clin Oncol, 19, 3210-3218.
- Le Chevalier T, Scagliotti G, Natale R, et al (2005). Efficacy of gemcitabine plus platinum chemotherapy compared with other platinum containing regimens in advanced non-smallcell lung cancer: a meta-analysis of survival outcomes. Lung Cancer, 47, 69-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2004.10.014
- Leighl NB (2012). Treatment paradigms for patients with metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer: first-, second-, and third-line. Curr Oncol, 19, S52-8.
- Masago K, Fujita S, Kim YH, et al (2011). Phase I study of the combination of nedaplatin and gemcitabine in previously untreated advanced squamous cell lung cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 67, 325-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00280-010-1321-1
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Non Small Cell Lung Cancer. 2013, cited 2013-10-30. Available from: http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/nscl.pdf.
- Oshita F, Yamada K, Kato Y, et al (2003). Phase I/II study of an escalating dose of nedaplatin in combination with irinotecan for advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 52, 73-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00280-003-0615-y
- Oshita F, Yamada K, Saito H, et al (2004). Phase II study of nedaplatin and irinotecan for elderly patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. J Exp Ther Oncol, 4, 343-348.
- Ramalingam SS, Dahlberg SE, Langer CJ, et al. (2008) Outcomes for elderly, advanced-stage non-small-cell lung cancer patients treated with bevacizumab in combination with carboplatin and paclitaxel: Analysis of Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Trial 4599. J Clin Oncol, 26, 60-5. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.13.1144
- Sandler AB, Nemunaitis J, Denham C, et al (2000). Phase III trial of gemcitabine plus cisplatin versus cisplatin alone in patients with locally advanced or metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 18, 122-30.
- Scagliotti GV, De Marinis F, Rinaldi M, et al (2002). Phase III randomized trial comparing three platinum-based doublets in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 20, 4285-91. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2002.02.068
- Scagliotti GV, Parikh P, von Pawel J, et al (2008). Phase iii study comparing cisplatin plus gemcitabine with cisplatin plus pemetrexed in chemotherapy-naive patients with advancedstage non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 26, 3543-51. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.15.0375
- Schiller JH, Harrington D, Belani CP, et al (2002). on behalf of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Comparison of four chemotherapy regimens for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 346, 92-8. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa011954
- Shepherd FA, Dancey J, Ramlau R, et al (2000). Prospective randomized trial of docetaxel versus best supportive care in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with platinum-based chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol, 18, 2095-2103.
- Shepherd FA, Rodrigues PJ, Ciuleanu T, et al (2005). Erlotinib in previously treated non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 353, 123-132. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa050753
- Shirai T, Hirose T, Noda M, et al (2006). Phase II study of the combination of gemcitabine and nedaplatin for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 52, 181-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2006.01.004
- Smit EF, van Meerbeeck JP, Lianes P, et al (2003). European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Lung Cancer Group Three-arm randomized study of two cisplatinbased regimens and paclitaxel plus gemcitabine in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a phase III trial of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Lung Cancer Group - EORTC 08975. J Clin Oncol, 21, 3909-17. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.03.195
- Sugiyama T, Hirose T, Nakashima M, et al (2011). Evaluation of the efficacy and safety of the combination of gemcitabine and nedaplatin for elderly patients with advanced non-smallcell lung cancer. Oncology, 81, 273-80. https://doi.org/10.1159/000334430
- Yang JJ, Zhou Q, Liao RQ, et al (2012). Nedaplatin/Gemcitabine Versus Carboplatin/Gemcitabine in Treatment of Advanced Non-small Cell Lung Cancer: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Chin J Cancer Res, 24, 97-102. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11670-012-0097-8
- Potential Combinational Anti-Cancer Therapy in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer with Traditional Chinese Medicine Sun-Bai-Pi Extract and Cisplatin vol.11, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0155469