- Volume 16 Issue 14
DOI QR Code
Incidence, Risk Factors, and Outcomes of Febrile Neutropenia in Thai Hematologic Malignancy Patients Receiving Chemotherapy: A 6-year Retrospective Cohort Study
- Limvorapitak, Wasithep (Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Thammasat University) ;
- Khawcharoenporn, Thana (Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Thammasat University)
- Published : 2015.09.02
A 6-year retrospective cohort study was conducted among Thai hematologic malignancy (HM) patients receiving intensive chemotherapy. Of the 145 eligible patients receiving 893 chemotherapy sessions, 46.9% were female, median age was 52 years, and the most common HM diagnosis was diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (46.2%). Febrile neutropenia (FN) occurred in 14.9% of chemotherapy sessions with an incidence of 24.8 per 1,000 chemotherapy cycles per year. Independent factors associated with FN were receiving the first chemotherapy cycle [adjusted hazard ratio (aHR) 4.1], having hemoglobin
- Chan A, Chen C, Chiang J, et al (2012). Incidence of febrile neutropenia among early-stage breast cancer patients receiving anthracycline-based chemotherapy. Support Care Cancer, 1525-32.
- Chayakulkeeree M, Thamlikitkul V (2003). Risk index for predicting complications and prognosis in Thai patients with neutropenia and fever. J Med Assoc Thai, 86, 212-23.
- Chindaprasirt J, Wanitpongpun C, Limpawattana P, et al (2013). Mortality, length of stay, and cost associated with hospitalized adult cancer patients with febrile neutropenia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1115-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.1115
- Choi YW, Jeong SH, Ahn MS, et al (2014). Patterns of neutropenia and risk factors for febrile neutropenia of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma patients treated with rituximab- CHOP. J Korean Med Sci, 1493-500.
- Crawford J, Armitage J, Balducci L, et al (2013). Myeloid growth factors. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 11, 1266-90.
- Crawford J, Dale DC, Kuderer NM, et al (2008). Risk and timing of neutropenic events in adult cancer patients receiving chemotherapy: the results of a prospective nationwide study of oncology practice. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 6, 109-18.
- Freifeld AG, Bow EJ, Sepkowitz KA, et al (2011). Clinical practice guideline for the use of antimicrobial agents in neutropenic patients with cancer: 2010 update by the infectious diseases society of america. Clin Infect Dis, 52, 56-93. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cir073
- Hassan BAR, Yusoff ZBM, Ohtman SB (2009). Neutropenia onset, severity, and their association with demographic data. Asian J Pharm Clin Res, 2, 51-3.
- Intragumtornchai T, Sutheesophon J, Sutcharitchan P, et al (2000). A predictive model for life-threatening neutropenia and febrile neutropenia after the first course of CHOP chemotherapy in patients with aggressive non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma, 37, 351-60.
- Klastersky J (2004). Management of fever in neutropenic patients with different risks of complications. Clin Infect Dis, 39, 32-7. https://doi.org/10.1086/383050
- Klastersky J, Paesmans M, Rubenstein EB, et al (2000). The Multinational Association for Supportive Care in Cancer risk index: A multinational scoring system for identifying low-risk febrile neutropenic cancer patients. J Clin Oncol, 18, 3038-51.
- Kuderer NM, Dale DC, Crawford J, et al (2007). Impact of primary prophylaxis with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor on febrile neutropenia and mortality in adult cancer patients receiving chemotherapy: a systematic review. J Clin Oncol, 25, 3158-67. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.08.8823
- Lal A, Bhurgri Y, Rizvi N, et al (2008). Factors influencing in-hospital length of stay and mortality in cancer patients suffering from febrile neutropenia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 303-8.
- Leelayuthachai T, Kanitsap N (2010). Febrile neutropenia in post-chemotherapeutic patients in medicine department, thammasat university hospital. J Hematol Transfus Med, 20, 197-203.
- Lyman GH, Kuderer NM, Crawford J, et al (2011). Predicting individual risk of neutropenic complications in patients receiving cancer chemotherapy. Cancer, 117, 1917-27. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.25691
- Lyman GH, Michels SL, Reynolds MW, et al (2010). Risk of mortality in patients with cancer who experience febrile neutropenia. Cancer, 116, 5555-63. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.25332
- Osmani AH, Ansari TZ, Masood N, et al (2012). Outcome of febrile neutropenic patients on granulocyte colony stimulating factor in a tertiary care hospital. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2523-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2523
- Pettengell R, Bosly A, Szucs TD, et al (2009). Multivariate analysis of febrile neutropenia occurrence in patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma: data from the INC-EU Prospective Observational European Neutropenia Study. Br J Haematol, 144, 677-85. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2141.2008.07514.x
- Roongpoovapatr P, Suankratay C (2010). Causative pathogens of fever in neutropenic patients at King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital. J Med Assoc Thai, 93, 776-83.
- Salar A, Haioun C, Rossi FG, et al (2012). The need for improved neutropenia risk assessment in DLBCL patients receiving R-CHOP-21: findings from clinical practice. Leuk Res, 36, 548-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leukres.2012.02.002
- Wolff D, Culakova E, Poniewierski MS, et al (2005). Predictors of chemotherapy-induced neutropenia and its complications: results from a prospective nationwide registry. J Support Oncol, 3, 24-5.