- Volume 16 Issue 14
DOI QR Code
Prognostic Value of Baseline Neutrophil-Lymphocyte and Platelet-Lymphocyte Ratios in Local and Advanced Gastric Cancer Patients
- Aldemir, Mehmet Naci (Department of Medical Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Ataturk University) ;
- Turkeli, Mehmet (Department of Medical Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Ataturk University) ;
- Simsek, Melih (Department of Medical Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Ataturk University) ;
- Yildirim, Nilgun (Department of Medical Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Ataturk University) ;
- Bilen, Yusuf (Department of Hematology, Faculty of Medicine, Ataturk University) ;
- Yetimoglu, Harun (Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Ataturk University) ;
- Bilici, Mehmet (Department of Medical Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Ataturk University) ;
- Tekin, Salim Basol (Department of Medical Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Ataturk University)
- Published : 2015.09.02
Background: We aimed to investigate the prognostic value of baseline neutrophil, lymphocyte, and platelet counts along with the neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio (NLR) and platelet-lymphocyte ratio (PLR) in local and advanced gastric cancer patients. Materials and Methods: In this retrospective cross-sectional study, a total of 103 patients with gastric cancer were included. For all, patient characteristics and overall survival (OS) times were evaluated. Data from a complete blood count test including neutrophil, lymphocyte, monocyte, white blood cell (WBC) and platelet (Plt) count, hemoglobin level (Hb) were recorded, and the NLR and PLR were obtained for every patient prior to pathological diagnosis before any treatment was applied. Results: Of the patients, 53 had local disease, underwent surgery and were administered adjuvant chemoradiotherapy where indicated. The remaining 50 had advanced disease and only received chemotherapy. OS time was
- Aliustaoglu M, Bilici A, Ustaalioglu BB, et al (2010). The effect of peripheral blood values on prognosis of patients with locally advanced gastric cancer before treatment. Med Oncol, 27, 1060-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-009-9335-4
- An X, Ding PR, Li YH, et al (2010). Elevated neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio predict ssurvival in advanced pancreatic cancer. Biomarkers, 15, 516-22. https://doi.org/10.3109/1354750X.2010.491557
- Balkwill F, Mantovani A (2001). Inflammation and cancer: BacktoVirchow? Lancet, 357, 539-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(00)04046-0
- Bao GQ, Qiao Q, Zhao HD, et al (2010). Prognostic value of HMGB1 overexpression in resectable gastric adenocarcinomas. World J Surg Oncol, 8, 52. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-8-52
- Brown KM, Domin C, Aranha GV, et al (2005). Increased preoperative platelet count is associated with decreased survival after resection for adenocarcinoma of the pancreas. Am J Surg, 189, 278-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2004.11.014
- Colotta F, Allavena P, Sica A, et al (2009). Cancer-related inflammation, the seventh hallmark of cancer: links to genetic instability. Carcinogenesis, 30, 1073-81. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgp127
- Coussens LM, Werb Z (2002). Inflammation and cancer. Nature, 420, 860-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature01322
- Ding PR, An X, Zhang RX, et al (2010). Elevated preoperative neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio predicts risk of recurrence following curative resection for stage IIA colon cancer. Int J Colorectal Dis, 25, 1427-33. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-010-1052-0
- Gomez D, Farid S, Malik HZ, et al (2008a). Preoperative neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio as a prognostic predictor after curative resection for hepatocellular carcinoma. World J Surg, 32, 1757-62. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-008-9552-6
- Gomez D, Morris-Stiff G, Toogood GJ, et al (2008b). Impact of systemic inflammation on outcome following resection for intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. J Surg Oncol, 97, 513-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.21001
- Herszenyi L, Tulassay Z (2010). Epidemiology of gastrointestinal and liver tumors. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci, 14, 249-58.
- Hirashima M, Higuchi S, Sakamoto K, et al (1998). The ratio of neutrophils to lymphocytes and the phenotypes of neutrophils in patients with early gastric cancer. J Canc Res Clin Oncol, 124, 329-34. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004320050178
- Jackson JR, Seed MP, Kircher CH, et al (1997). The codependence of angiogenesis and chronic inflammation. FASEB J, 11, 457-65.
- Jaiswal M, LaRusso NF, Burgart LJ, et al (2000). Inflammatory cytokines induce DNA damage and inhibit DNA repair in cholangiocarcinoma cells by a nitric oxide-dependent mechanism. Cancer Res, 60, 184-90.
- Jung MR, Park YK, Jeong O, et al (2011). Elevated preoperative neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio predicts poor survival following resection in late stage gastric cancer. J Surg Oncol, 104, 504-10. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.21986
- Kassim SK, El-Salahy EM, Fayed ST, et al (2004). Vascular endothelial growth factor and interleukin-8 are associated with poor prognosis in epithelial ovarian cancer patients. Clin Biochem, 37, 363-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2004.01.014
- Kawata A, Une Y, Hosokawa M, et al (1992). Tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes and prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 22, 256-63.
- Kim KH, Kwon HC, Oh SY, et al (2011). Clinicopathological significance of ERCC1, thymidylate synthase and glutathione S-transferase P1 expression for advanced gastric cancer patients receiving adjuvant 5-Fu and cisplatin chemotherapy. Biomarkers, 16, 74-82. https://doi.org/10.3109/1354750X.2010.533284
- Kusumanto YH, Dam WA, Hospers GA, et al (2003). Platelets and granulocytes, in particular the neutrophils, form important compartments for circulating vascular endothelial growth factor. Angiogenesis, 6, 283-7. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:AGEN.0000029415.62384.ba
- Li QQ, Lu ZH, Yang L, et al (2014). Neutrophil count and the inflammation-based glasgow prognostic score predict survival in patients with advanced gastric cancer receiving first-line chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 945-50. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.945
- Liu H, Liu G, Bao Q, et al (2010). The baseline ratio of neutrophil to lymphocytes is associated with patient prognosis in rectal carcinoma. J Gastrointest Cancer, 41, 116-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12029-009-9125-4
- Maconi G, Manes G, Porro GB (2008). Role of symptoms in diagnosis and outcome of gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol, 14, 1149-55. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.14.1149
- Mohri Y, Tanaka K, Ohi M, et al (2010). Prognostic significance of host-and tumor-related factors in patients with gastric cancer. World J Surg, 34, 285-90. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-009-0302-1
- Monreal M, Fernandez-Llamazares J, Pinol M, et al (1998). Platelet count and survival in colorectal cancer-a preliminary study. Thromb Haemost, 79, 916-8.
- Nakajima K, Ochiai T, Suzuki T, et al (1998). Impact of preoperative serum carcino embryonic antigen, CA 19-9 and alpha feto protein levels in gastric cancer patients. Tumour Biol, 19, 464-9. https://doi.org/10.1159/000030038
- Oba K, Paoletti X, Bang YJ, et al (2013). Role of chemotherapy for advanced /recurrent gastric cancer: an individual-patientdata meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer, 49, 1565-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2012.12.016
- Proctor M, Morrison D, Talwar D, et al (2011). A comparison of inflammation-based prognostic scores in patients with cancer. A Glasgow inflammation outcome study. Eur J Cancer, 47, 2633-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2011.03.028
- Satomi A, Murakami S, Ishida K, et al (1995). Significance of increased neutrophils in patients with advanced colorectal cancer. Acta Oncol, 34, 69-73. https://doi.org/10.3109/02841869509093641
- Schwarz RE, Keny H (2001). Preoperative platelet count predicts survival after resection of periampullary adenocarcinoma. Hepatogastroenterology, 48, 1493-8.
- Shimada H, Tajiguchi N, Kainuma O, et al (2010). High preoperative neutrophil lymphocyte ratio predicts poor survival in patients with gastric cancer. Gastric Canc, 13, 170-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10120-010-0554-3
- Shirai O, Ohmiya N, Taguchi A, et al (2010). P53, P21 and P73 gene polymorphisms in gastriccarcinoma. Hepatogastroenterology, 57, 1595-601.
- Suzuki K, Aiura K, Kitagou M, et al (2004). Platelet counts closely correlate with the disease-free survival interval of pancreatic cancer patients. Hepatogastroenterology, 51, 847-53.
- Templeton AJ, Ace O, McNamara MG, et al (2014). Prognostic role of platelet to lymphocyte ratio in solid tumors: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 23, 1204-12. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-14-0146
- Teramukai S, Kitano T, Kishida Y, et al (2009). Pretreatment neutrophil count as an independent prognostic factor in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: an analysis of Japan multinational trial organisation LC00-03. Eur J Canc, 45, 1950-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2009.01.023
- Topcu HO, Guzel AI, Ozer I, et al (2014). Comparison of neutrophil/lymphocyte and platelet/ lymphocyte ratios for predicting malignant potential of suspicious ovarian masses in gynecology practice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6239-41. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6239
- Unal D, Eroglu C, Kurtul N, et al (2013). Are neutrophil/ lymphocyte and platelet/lymphocyte rates in patients with non-small cell lung cancer associated with treatment response and prognosis? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5237-42. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5237
- Walsh SR, Cook EJ, Goulder F, et al (2005). Neutrophillymphocyte ratio as a prognostic factors in colorectal cancer. J Surg Oncol, 91, 181-4. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.20329
- Wurl P, Weigmann F, Meye A, et al (1997). Detection of p53 autoantibodies in sera of gastric cancer patients and their prognostic relevance. Scand J Gastroenterol, 32, 1147-51. https://doi.org/10.3109/00365529709002995
- Yamanaka T, Matsumoto S, Teramukai S, et al (2007). The baseline ratio of neutrophils to lymphocytes is associated with patient prognosis in advanced gastric cancer. Oncology, 73, 215-20 https://doi.org/10.1159/000127412
- Yamashita J, Ogawa M, Shirakusa T (1995). Free-from neutrophil elastase is an independent marker predicting recurrence in primary breast cancer. J Leukoc Biol, 57, 375-8.
- UEG Week 2016 Poster Presentations vol.4, pp.5_suppl, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1177/2050640616663689
- Clinical severity in forecasting platelet to lymphocyte ratio in Crimean–Congo hemorrhagic fever patients vol.65, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1099/jmm.0.000330
- Prognostic value of systemic immune-inflammation index in patients with gastric cancer vol.36, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40880-017-0243-2
- Inhibits Lewis Lung Cancer via Tumor Microenvironment Effector T Cells in Mice vol.46, pp.04, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X18500489