- Volume 16 Issue 14
DOI QR Code
Effects of Physalis peruviana L on Toxicity and Lung Cancer Induction by Nicotine Derived Nitrosamine Ketone in Rats
- El-Meghawry El-Kenawy, Ayman (Department of molecular biology, GEBRI, University of Sadat, Department of Pathology, College of Medicine) ;
- Elshama, Said Said (Department of Forensic Medicine and Clinical Toxicology, College of Medicine, Suez Canal University& Taif University) ;
- Osman, Hosam-Eldin Hussein (Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, Al-Azhar University&Taif University)
- Published : 2015.09.02
Nicotine-derived nitrosamine ketone (NNK) is considered a key tobacco smoke carcinogen inducing lung tumors. Physalis peruviana L (harankash) is considered one plant with marked health benefits. This study aimed to evaluate Physalis peruviana L effect on the toxic effect of NNK induced lung cancer in the rats by using pulmonary histopathological, immunohistochemical and DNA flow cytometric analyses. Sixty adult male rats were divided into four groups, each consisting of fifteen animals. The first group received saline, the second received two successive toxic doses of NNK only while the third received two successive toxic doses of NNK with a single daily dose of Physalis peruviana L. The fourth group received a single daily dose of Physalis peruviana L only. Toxic doses of NNK induced hyperplasia and adenocarcinoma in the lung and positive immunoreactivity for Ki-67 and p53 staining with disturbance of the lung DNA content. Administration of Physalis peruviana L with NNK led to a mild pulmonary hyperplasia and weak expression of Ki-67 and p53 with an improvement in the lung DNA content. Physalis peruviana L may protect against NNK induced lung carcinogenesis due to its antioxidant and anti-proliferative effects.
- Akopyan G, Bonavida B (2006). Understanding tobacco smoke carcinogen NNK and lung tumorigenesis. Int J Oncol, 29, 745-752.
- Arun M, Asha VV (2007). Preliminary studies on antihepatotoxic effect of Physalis peruviana Linn. (Solanaceae) against carbon tetrachloride induced acute liver injury in rats. J Ethno-Pharmacol, 111, 110-4.
- Bancroft JD, Gamble M (2002). Theory and Practice Histological Techniques, 5th ed., Churchill Livingstone. New York, Edinburgh London, 126, 173-5.
- Chang JC, Lin CC, Wu SJ (2008). Antioxidative and hepatoprotective effects of Physalis peruviana extract against acetaminophen-induced liver injury in rats. Pharmaceutical Biol 6, 724-31.
- Cheng G, Jianmin LI, Zheng M, et al (2015). NNK, a tobaccospecific carcinogen, inhibits the expression of lysyl oxidase, a tumor suppressor. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 12, 64-82.
- Cohen GM, Sun XM, Snowden RT, Ormerod MG, Dinsdale D (1993). Identification of a transitional preapoptotic population of thymocytes. J Immunol, 151, 566-74.
- EL-Kenawy A, Osman H, Daghestani M (2013). The effect of vitamin c administration on monosodium glutamate induced liver injury. An experimental study. Experimental Toxicologic Pathol, 65, 513-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.etp.2012.02.007
- El-kenawy A (2014). Apoptotic and anti-angiogenic activity of Hypericum perforatum L on 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone-induced lung cancer in rats. Int J Adv Res, 2, 1057-65.
- Hassanien MFR (2011). Physalis peruviana: a rich source of bioactive phytochemicals for functional foods and pharmaceuticals. Food Rev Int, 27, 259-73. https://doi.org/10.1080/87559129.2011.563391
- Hedley DW (1989). Flow cytometry using paraffin-embedded tissue: Five years on. Cytomet, 10, 229-41. https://doi.org/10.1002/cyto.990100302
- Isin EM, Guengerich FP (2007). Complex reactions catalyzed by cytochrome P450 enzymes. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1770, 314-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbagen.2006.07.003
- Jin Z, Gao F, Flagg T, Deng X (2004). Tobacco-specific nitrosamine 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone promotes functional cooperation of Bcl2 and c-Myc through phosphorylation in regulating cell survival and proliferation. J Biol Chem, 279, 40209-19. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M404056200
- Lin RK, Hsu HS, Chang JW, et al (2007). Alteration of DNA methyltransferases contributes to 5’CpG methylation and poor prognosis in lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 55, 205-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2006.10.022
- Mejia C, Navarro S, Llombart-Bosch A (2007). Apoptosis in peripheral neuroblastic tumors. Immunohistochemical expression of bcl-2 and p53 is related to DNA fragmentation. Histol Histopathol, 22, 1365-70.
- Mernitz H, Lian F, Smith DE, Meydani SN, Dong Wang X (2009). Fish oil supplementation inhibits NNK-induced lung carcinogenesis in the A/J Mouse. Nutr Cancer, 61, 663-9. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635580902825589
- Muthukumaran S, Sudheer AR, Nalini N, Menon VP (2008). Effect of quercetin on nicotine-induced biochemical changes and DNA damage in rat peripheral blood lymphocytes. Redox Rep, 13, 217-24. https://doi.org/10.1179/135100008X308948
- Phutthaphadoong S, Yamada Y, Hirata A, et al (2009). Chemopreventive effects of fermented brown rice and rice bran against 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone-induced lung tumorigenesis in female A/J mice. Oncol Reports, 21, 321-327.
- Puente LA, Pinto-Munoz CA, Castro ES, Cortes M (2011). "Physalis peruviana Linnaeus, the multiple properties of a highly functional fruit: a review. Food Res Int, 44, 1733-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2010.09.034
- Ramadan MF (2012). Physalis peruviana pomace suppresses highcholesterol diet-induced hypercholesterolemia in rats. Grasas Y Aceites, 63, 411-22. https://doi.org/10.3989/gya.047412
- Reiter M, Rupp K, Baumeister P, Zieger S, Harreus U (2009). Antioxidant effects of quercetin and coenzyme Q10 in mini organ cultures of human nasal mucosa cells. Anticancer Res, 29, 33-9.
- Shih YL, Liu HC, Chen CS, et al (2010). Combination treatment with luteolin and quercetin enhances antiproliferative effects in nicotine-treated MDA-MB-231 cells by down-regulating nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. J Agric Food Chem, 58, 235-41. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9031684
- Shirwaikar A, Verma R, Lobo R (2009). Phytotherapy-safety aspects. Natural Product Radiance, 8, 55-63.
- Sung AN, Kang JH, Kim DH, Lee MS (2011). Vitamin C increases the apoptosis via up-regulation p53 during cisplatin treatment in human colon cancer cells. BMB Rep, 44, 211-6. https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2011.44.3.211
- Van Diest PJ, Van Der Wall E, Baak JP (2004). Prognostic value of proliferation in invasive breast cancer: a review. J Clin Pathol, 57, 675-81. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.2003.010777
- Wang Y, Zhang Z, Yan Y, et al (2004). A chemically induced model for squamous cell carcinoma of the lung in mice: histopathology and strain susceptibility. Cancer Res, 64, 1647-54. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-03-3273
- Wu SJ, Ng LT, Huang YM (2005). Antioxidant activities of physalis peruviana. Biological Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 28, 963-966. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.28.963
- Xue J, Yang S, Seng S (2014). Mechanisms of cancer induction by tobacco-specific NNK and NNN. Cancers, 6, 1138-56. https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers6021138