- Volume 16 Issue 14
DOI QR Code
Epidemiology and Trends in Incidence of Kidney Cancer in Iran
- Mirzaei, Maryam (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Pournamdar, Zahra (Pregnancy Health Research Center, Zahedan University Of Medical Sciences) ;
- Salehiniya, Hamid (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.09.02
Background: Kidney cancer has shown an increasing trend in recent decades. This study aimed to determine change in the incidence rate between 2003 and 2009 in Iran. Materials and Methods: In this study, national cancer registry data were used. Crude incidence rates were calculated per 100,000 and age-standardized incidence rates (ASRs) were computed using the direct standardization method and the world standard population. Significant trend of incidence rates was examined by the Cochran-Armitage test for linear trend. Results: A total of 6,944 cases of kidney cancer were reported. The incidence cases increased from 595 patients in 2003 to 1,387 patients in 2009. Sex ratio (male to female) was 1.67. ASR also increased from 1.18 in 2003 to 2.52 in 2009 per 100,000, but the increasing trend was not significant. Conclusions: A slow increasing trend of incidence rate was observed in the study population. This may be due to an increase of risk factors. It is suggested to perform a study on risk factors for the cancer.
- Basiri A, Shakhssalim N, Jalaly NY, et al (2014). Difference in the Incidences of the Most Prevalent Urologic Cancers from 2003 to 2009 in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1459-63. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1459
- Chow WH, Dong LM, Devesa SS (2010). Epidemiology and risk factors for kidney cancer. Nat Rev Urol, 7, 245-57. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrurol.2010.46
- De P, Otterstatter MC, Semenciw R, et al (2014). Trends in incidence, mortality, and survival for kidney cancer in Canada, 1986-2007. Cancer Causes Control, 25, 1271-81. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-014-0427-x
- Esteghamati A, Meysamie A, Khalilzadeh O, et al (2009). Third national Surveillance of Risk Factors of Non-Communicable Diseases (SuRFNCD-2007) in Iran: methods and results on prevalence of diabetes, hypertension, obesity, central obesity, and dyslipidemia. BMC Public Health, 9, 167. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-9-167
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Dikshit R, et al (2015). Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012. International Journal of Cancer, 136, 359-86. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.29210
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, et al (2014). Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 11 [Internet]. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer [Online]. Available from: http:// globocan.iarc.fr.
- Gunes M, Gecit I, Pirincci N, et al (2012). Nature of Lesions Undergoing Radical Nephrectomy for Renal Cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4431-3. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.4431
- Jia H-Y, Liu J-L, Zhou C-J, et al (2014). High expression of MICA in human kidney cancer tissue and renal cell carcinoma lines. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1715-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1715
- Keyghobadi N, Rafiemanesh H, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, et al (2015). Epidemiology and trend of cancers in the province of Kerman: southeast of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 1409-13. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1409
- Khafaja S, Kourie HR, Matar D, et al (2015). Kidney Cancer in Lebanon: a Specific Histological Distribution? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 363-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.363
- Levi F, Ferlay J, Galeone C, et al (2008). The changing pattern of kidney cancer incidence and mortality in Europe. BJU Int, 101, 949-58. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2008.07451.x
- Li J, Weir HK, Jim MA, et al (2014). Kidney cancer incidence and mortality among American Indians and Alaska Natives in the United States, 1990-2009. Am J Public Health, 104, 396-403. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2013.301616
- Luke C, Sargent N, Pittman K, et al (2011). Epidemiology of cancers of the kidney in an Australian population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2893-9.
- Moore LE, Wilson RT, Campleman SL (2005). Lifestyle factors, exposures, genetic susceptibility, and renal cell cancer risk: a review. Cancer Investigation, 23, 240-55. https://doi.org/10.1081/CNV-200055962
- Nepple KG, Yang L, Grubb RL, et al (2012). Population based analysis of the increasing incidence of kidney cancer in the United States: evaluation of age specific trends from 1975 to 2006. J Urol, 187, 32-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2011.09.028
- Razi S, Rafiemanesh H, Ghoncheh M, et al (2015). Changing Trends of Types of Skin Cancer in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 4955-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4955
- Singam P, Ho C, Hong GE, et al (2010). Clinical characteristics of renal cancer in Malaysia: A ten year review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 503-6.
- Tan H-J, Filson CP, Litwin MS (2015). Contemporary, age-based trends in the incidence and management of patients with early-stage kidney cancer. Urologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations, Elsevier, 21, 19-21.
- Wallen EM, Pruthi RS, Joyce GF, et al (2007). Kidney cancer. J Urology, 177, 2006-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2007.01.126
- Washio M, Mori M, Mikami K, et al (2014a). Risk factors for renal cell carcinoma in a Japanese population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9065-70. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9065
- Washio M, Mori M, Mikami K, et al (2014b). Cigarette smoking and other risk factors for kidney cancer death in a Japanese population: japan collaborative cohort study for evaluation of cancer risk (JACC study). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6523-8.
- Wilson RT, Donahue M, Gridley G, et al (2008a). Shared occupational risks for transitional cell cancer of the bladder and renal pelvis among men and women in Sweden. American J Industrial Medicine, 51, 83-99. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.20522
- Wilson RT, Richardson LC, Kelly JJ, et al (2008b). Cancers of the urinary tract among American Indians and Alaska Natives in the United States, 1999–2004. Cancer, 113, 1213-24. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23733
- Znaor A, Lortet-Tieulent J, Laversanne M, et al (2014). International variations and trends in renal cell carcinoma incidence and mortality. European urology.
- Incidence and mortality of kidney cancers, and human development index in Asia; a matter of concern vol.6, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15171/jnp.2017.06
- Tips and tricks for a safe and effective image-guided percutaneous renal tumour ablation vol.8, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13244-017-0555-4
- The incidence of kidney cancer in Iran: a systematic review and meta-analysis vol.8, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1051/bmdcn/2018080209
- The Incidence of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Iran from 1996 to 2016: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis pp.1941-6636, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12029-019-00207-y