- Volume 16 Issue 14
DOI QR Code
Effects of Nursing Education on Awareness of Risk Factors for Colorectal Cancer
- Akduran, Funda (School of Health Sciences, Esentepe Campus, Sakarya University) ;
- Cinar, Nursan (School of Health Sciences, Esentepe Campus, Sakarya University)
- Published : 2015.09.02
Background: The objective of this study is to determine the effect of nursing education on awareness of risk factors for colorectal cancer. Materials and Methods: In this descriptive study, the sample is consisted of 132 volunteer students studying in the 1st and 4th grades of School of Health Nursing Department during the fall semester of 2014-2015. Data were collected via a questionnaire including information on the socio-demographic features of the participants and the correlating risk factors of colorectal cancer, prepared by researchers in view of the literature. The questionnaire was distributed to students and completed during class time. Before presenting the questionnaires to the respondents, informed consent was obtained from each. The data obtained were analyzed with a statistical package (SPSS). At first, a Kolmogorov-Smirnow test was performed on the research data. However, since it was seen that variables did not have a normal distribution, the Wilcoxon Signed Ranks Test was applied. P values of <0.05 were considered statistically significant. Percentages, means and standard deviations were also utilized for evaluation. Results: Of the total of 132 students participating in this study, 85.6% (n=113) were female, and 14.4% (n=19) were male. The average age was
- Al-Azri M, AL-Rasbi K, Al-Hinai M,Davidson R ,Al-Maniri A. Awareness of Risk Factors for Cancer among Omani adults- A Community Based Study (2014). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5401-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5401
- Andersen V, Ulla Vogel (2015). Interactions between meat intake and genetic variation in relation to colorectal cancer. Genes Nutr, 10, 448. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12263-014-0448-9
- Andsoy II, Gul A (2014). Breast, cervix and colorectal cancer knowledge among nurses in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2267-72. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2267
- Colorectal Cancer Facts &Figures 2011-2013 (2013). http://firstname.lastname@example.org/documents/document/acspc-028323.pdf
- GLOBOCAN 2012: Estimated Cancer Incidence, Mortality and Prevalence Worldwide in 2012. http://globocan.iarc.fr/Pages/fact_sheets_cancer.aspx
- Huxley RR, Ansary-Moghaddam AA, Clifton P, et al (2009) The impact of dietary and life style risks of colorectal cancer: a quantitative overview of the epidemiology evidence. Int J Cancer, 125, 171-80. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.24343
- Kim J, Park S, Nam BH (2011). The risk of colorectal cancer is associated with the frequency of meat consumption in a population-based cohort in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2371-6
- Ministry of Health of Jordan (MOH)-(2009) Cancer incidence in Jordan, report of 2008. Non-Communicable Diseases Control Section, Amman, Jordan.
- Mua G, Mub X, Xingc H, et al (2014). Subclinical hypothyroidism as anindependent risk factor for colorectalneoplasm. Clin Res Hepatol Gastroenterol, 14.
- National Cancer Registry (NCR) (2009) Cancer incidence in Jordan report of 2008. Non-communicable diseases control section, Amman, Jordan
- Stubbings S, Robb K, Waller J, et al (2009). Development of a measurement tool to assess public awareness of cancer. Br J Cancer, 101, 13-17. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605385
- Tastan S, Andsoy II, Iyigun E (2013). Evaluation of the knowledge, behavior and health beliefs of individuals over 50 regarding colorectal cancer screening. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5157-63 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5157
- Turkiye Cumhuriyeti, Saglik Bakanligi Saglik Istatistikleri Yilligi (2013). http://sbu.saglik.gov.tr/Ekutuphane/ kitaplar/sa%C4%9Fl%C4%B1k%20istatistik%20 y%C4%B1ll%C4%B1%C4%9F%C4%B1%202013.pdf.
- Umar A, Greenwald P (2009) Alarming colorectal cancer incidence trends: a case for early detection. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 18, 1672-3. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-09-0320
- Woo HD, Park S, Oh K, Kim HJ, Shin HR, Moon HK, Kim J (2014). Diet and cancer risk in the Korean population: a meta- analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8509-19. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8509
- WHO World Health Organization (2014). http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs297/en/.
- WHO World Health Organization (2015). http://www.who.int/cancer/en/
- WHO World Health Organization (2015). http://www.worldcancerday.org/
- Awareness of health sciences students about colorectal cancer risk factors pp.09615423, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.13016