- Volume 16 Issue 14
DOI QR Code
Anti-Proliferative Properties of Cornus mass Fruit in Different Human Cancer Cells
- Yousefi, Bahman (Department of Biochemistry and Clinical Laboratories, Faculty of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Abasi, Mozhgan (Department of Medical Biotechnology, Faculty of Advanced Medical Sciences, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Abbasi, Mehran Mesgari (Research Committee, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Jahanban-Esfahlan, Rana (Research Committee, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.09.02
Background: There is a long standing interest in natural compounds especially those with a high polyphenolic content and high scavenging activity for hazardous free radicals. Cornus mas (CM) fruit is well known for its antioxidant activities; however, its toxicity against human cancers needs to be addressed. Here, we investigated selective anticancer effects of CM on different human cancer cells. Materials and Methods: A hydro-alcoholic extract of CM (HECM) was prepared and total phenolic content (TPC) and total flavonoid content (TFC) were determined by colorimetric assays. Antioxidant activity was assessed with respectto DPPH radical scavenging. MTT assays were used to evaluate the cytotoxicity of different doses of CM (0, 5, 20, 100, 250, 500,
- Abbasi MM, Jahanban-Esfahlan R, Monfaredan A, et al (2014). Oral and IV dosages of doxorubicin-methotrexate loadednanoparticles inhibit progression of oral cancer by downregulation of matrix methaloproteinase 2 expression in vivo. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10705-11.
- Brand-Williams W, Cuvelier M, Berset C (1995). Use of a free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity. LWT-Food Sci Technol, 28, 25-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0023-6438(95)80008-5
- Du C-T, Francis FJ (1937). Anthocyanins from Cornus mas. Phytochemistry, 12, 2487.
- Jahanban-Esfahlan A, Jahanban-Esfahlan R, jamei R, et al (2012). Morphology and physicochemical properties of 40 genotypes of almond (Amygdalus communis L.) fruits. Euro J Exp Bio, 2, 2456-64.
- Jahanban-Esfahlan A, Jamei R, Jahanban-Esfahlan R (2010). The importance of almond (Prunus amygdalusL.) and its by-products. Food Chem, 120, 349-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.09.063
- Jahanban Esfahlan R, Zarghami N, Rahmati-Yamchi M, et al (2011). Quantification of steroid receptors gene expression in breast cancer patients: possible correlation with serum level of adipocytokines. J Cancer Therapy, 2, 659-65. https://doi.org/10.4236/jct.2011.25088
- Marinova D, Ribarova F, Atanassova M (2005). Total phenolics and total flavonoids on Bulgarian fruits and vegetables. J Univeristy Chem Technol Metallurgy, 40, 255-60.
- Pantelidis GE, Vasilakakis M, Manganaris GA, et al (2007). Antioxidant capacity, phenol, anthocyanin and ascorbic acid contents in raspberries, blackberries, red currants, gooseberries and Cornelian cherries. Food Chem, 102, 777-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.06.021
- Pyrkosz-Biardzka A, Kucharska AZ, Sokol-Letowska A, et al (2014). A comprehensive study on antioxidant properties of crude extracts from fruits of berberis vulgarisL., Cornus masL. and Mahonia aquifoliumNutt. Pol J Food Nutr Sci, 64, 91-9.
- Rop O, Mleck J, Kramarova D, et al (2010). Selected cultivars of cornelian cherry (Cornus mas L.) as a new food source for human nutrition. Afr J Biotechnol, 9,1205-10.
- Seeram NP, Schutzki R, Chandra A, et al (2002). Characterization, quantification, and bioactivities of anthocyanins in Cornus species. J Agric Food Chem, 50, 2519-23. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0115903
- Shindo-Okada N, Takeuchi K, Han BS, et al (2002). Establishment of cell lines with high and low metastatic potential from A549 human lung adenocarcinoma. Jpn J Cancer Res, 93, 50-60. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2002.tb01200.x
- Sineh Sepehr K, Baradaran B, Mazandarani M, et al (2014). Growth-inhibitory and apoptosis-inducing effects of Punica granatum L. var. spinosa (Apple Punice) on fibrosarcoma cell lines. ISRN Pharm, 4, 583-90.
- Singleton V, Rossi JA (1965). Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents. Am J Enol Viticulture, 16, 144-58.
- Tural S, Koca I (2008). Physico-chemical and antioxidant properties of cornelian cherry fruits (Cornus masL.) grown in Turkey. Scientia Horticulturae, 46, 294-362.
- Valiyari S, Jahanban-Esfahlan R, Zare Shahneh F, et al (2013). Cytotoxic and apoptotic activity of Scrophularia oxysepala in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. Toxicol Environmental Chem, 95, 1208-20. https://doi.org/10.1080/02772248.2013.854362
- Zhishen J, Mengcheng T, Jianming W (1999). The determination of flavonoid contents in mulberry and their scavenging effects on superoxide radicals. Food Chemistry, 64, 555-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(98)00102-2
- Anti Tumoral Properties of Punica granatum (Pomegranate) Seed Extract in Different Human Cancer Cells vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1119
- Traditional uses of medicinal plants to prevent and treat diabetes; an updated review of ethnobotanical studies in Iran vol.6, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.15171/jnp.2017.20
- Phytotherapy of nephrotoxicity-induced by cancer drugs: an updated review vol.6, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.15171/jnp.2017.41
- Water leaves extracts of Cornus mas and Cornus kousa as aldose reductase inhibitors: the potential therapeutic agents vol.71, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11696-017-0227-3
- Ovarian cancer stem cell: A potential therapeutic target for overcoming multidrug resistance pp.00219541, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.26768
- Cornus mas and Cornus Officinalis—Analogies and Differences of Two Medicinal Plants Traditionally Used vol.9, pp.1663-9812, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2018.00894
- Effects of Cornelian Cherry on Atherosclerosis and Its Risk Factors vol.2019, pp.1942-0994, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/2515270