- Volume 16 Issue 14
DOI QR Code
Comparing Role of Two Chemotherapy Regimens, CMF and Anthracycline-Based, on Breast Cancer Survival in the Eastern Mediterranean Region and Asia by Multivariate Mixed Effects Models: a Meta-Analysis
- Ghanbari, Saeed (Department of Biostatistics, The Medical School Shiraz, University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Ayatollahi, Seyyed Mohammad Taghi (Department of Biostatistics, The Medical School Shiraz, University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Zare, Najaf (Department of Biostatistics, The Medical School Shiraz, University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.09.02
Purpose: To assess the role of two adjuvant chemotherapy regimens, anthracycline-based and CMF on disease free survival and overall survival breast cancer patients by meta-analysis approach in Eastern Mediterranean and Asian countries to determine which is more effective and evaluate the appropriateness and efficiency of two different proposed statistical models. Materials and Methods: Survival curves were digitized and the survival proportions and times were extracted and modeled to appropriate covariates by two multivariate mixed effects models. Studies which reported disease free survival and overall survival curves for anthracycline-based or CMF as adjuvant chemotherapy that were published in English in the Eastern Mediterranean region and Asia were included in this systematic review. The two transformations of survival probabilities (Ln (-Ln(S)) and Ln(S/ (1-S))) as dependent variables were modeled by a multivariate mixed model to same covariates in order to have precise estimations with high power and appropriate interpretation of covariate effects. The analysis was carried out with SAS Proc MIXED and STATA software. Results: A total of 32 studies from the published literature were analysed, covering 4,092 patients who received anthracycline-based and 2,501 treated with CMF for the disease free survival and in order to analyze the overall survival, 13 studies reported the overall survival curves in which 2,050 cases were treated with anthracycline-based and 1,282 with CMF regimens. Conclusions: The findings illustrated that the model with dependent variable Ln (-Ln(S)) had more precise estimations of the covariate effects and showed significant difference between the effects of two adjuvant chemotherapy regimens. Anthracycline-based treatment gave better disease free survival and overall survival. As an IPD meta-analysis in the Italy the results of Angelo et al in 2011 also confirmed that anthracycline-based regimens were more effective for survival of breast cancer patients. The findings of Zare et al 2012 on disease free survival curves in Asia also provided similar evidence.
- Abbas H, Elyamany A, Salem M, et al (2011). The optimal sequence of radiotherapy and chemotherapy in adjuvant treatment of breast cancer. Int Arch Med, 4, 35. https://doi.org/10.1186/1755-7682-4-35
- Arends L, Hunink M, Stijnen T, et al (2008). Meta-analysis of summary survival curve data. Stat Med, 27, 4381-96. https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.3311
- Arkoob K, Al-Nsour M, Al-Nemry O, et al (2010). Epidemiology of breast cancer in women in Jordan: patient characteristics and survival analysis. East Mediterr Health J, 16, 1032-8.
- Azrif M, Ibrahim J, Aslan N, et al (2011). Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for locally advanced breast cancer in a malaysian tertiary hospital. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 157-62.
- Camlibel B, Dine S (2005). A comparison of the outcomes of non-randomized chemotherapy regimens in node positive breast cancer. J Exp Clin Cancer, 24, 363-72.
- Chen D, Lai L, Duan C, et al (2014). Conservative surgery plus axillary radiotherapy vs modified radical mastectomy in patients with stage I breast cancer. Clin Breast Cancer, 14, 10-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clbc.2013.08.010
- Chen S, Huang L, Liu Y, et al (2013). The predictive and prognostic significance of pre- and post-treatment topoisomerase IIalpha in anthracycline-based neoadjuvant chemotherapy for local advanced breast cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol, 39, 619-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2013.02.019
- Dear KB (1994). Iterative generalized least squares for metaanalysis of survival data at multiple times. Biometrics, 989-1002.
- DerSimonian R, Kacker R (2007). Random-effects model for meta-analysis of clinical trials: an update. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 28, 105-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cct.2006.04.004
- Duman B, Afsar C, Gunaldi M, et al (2012). Retrospective analysis of neoadjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer in Turkish patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4119-23. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.4119
- Earl H, Hiller M, Dunn J, et al (2012). Adjuvant epirubicin followed by cyclophosphamide, methotrexate and fluorouracil (CMF) vs CMF in early breast cancer: results with over 7 years median follow-up from the randomised phase III NEAT/BR9601 trials. Br J Cancer, 107, 1257-67. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2012.370
- Faradmal J, Kazemnejad A, Bakhshi R (2010). Comparing three adjuvant chemotherapy regimes after modified radical mastectomy in breast cancer patients using log-logistic model. J Semnan Univ Med Sci, 11, 279-86.
- Gogia A, Raina V, Deo S, et al (2014). Inflammatory breast cancer: a single centre analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3207-10. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3207
- Gupta D, Raina V, Rath G, et al (2011). Clinical and pathological response rates of docetaxel-based neoadjuvant chemotherapy in locally advanced breast cancer and comparison with anthracycline-based chemotherapies: eight-year experience from single centre. Indian J Cancer, 48, 410-4. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.92258
- Guyot P, Ades A, Ouwens M, et al (2012). Enhanced secondary analysis of survival data: reconstructing the data from published Kaplan-Meier survival curves. BMC Med Res Methodol, 12, 9. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-12-9
- Ismaili N, Elmajjaoui S, Lalya I, et al (2010). Anthracycline and concurrent radiotherapy as adjuvant treatment of operable breast cancer: a retrospective cohort study in a single institution. BMC Res Notes, 3, 247.
- Ismaili N, Mellas N, Masbah O, et al (2009). Concurrent chemoradiotherapy in adjuvant treatment of breast cancer. Radiat Oncol, 4, 12. https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-717X-4-12
- Ji M, Tang J, Zhao J (2012). Polymorphisms in genes involved in drug detoxification and clinical outcomes of anthracyclinebased neoadjuvant chemotherapy in Chinese Han breast cancer patients. Cancer Biology Therapy, 13, 264-71. https://doi.org/10.4161/cbt.18920
- Katalinic A, Pritzkuleit R , Waldmann A (2009). Recent trends in breast cancer incidence and mortality in Germany. Breast Care (Basel), 4, 75-80. https://doi.org/10.1159/000211526
- Klein M (2005). Survival analysis: a self-learning text, Springer.
- Leo A, Desmedt C, Bartlett J, et al (2011). HER2 and TOP2A as predictive markers for anthracycline-containing chemotherapy regimens as adjuvant treatment of breast cancer: a meta-analysis of individual patient data. Lancet Oncol, 12, 1134-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70231-5
- Li L, Xu X, Zhao Y, et al (2009). Integrated gene expression profile predicts prognosis of breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 113, 231-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-008-9925-4
- Mousavi SM, Montazeri A, Mohagheghi MA, et al (2007). Breast cancer in Iran: an epidemiological review. Breast J, 13, 383-91. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4741.2007.00446.x
- Phua C, Bustam A, Yusof M, et al (2012). Risk of treatment related death and febrile neutropaenia with taxane-based adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer in a middle income country outside a clinical trial setting. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4623-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4623
- Sharif F, Abshorshori N, Tahmasebi S, et al (2010). The effect of peer-led education on the life quality of mastectomy patients referred to breast cancer-clinics in Shiraz, Iran 2009. Health Qual Life Outcomes, 8, 74. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-8-74
- Sharma B, Satyanarayan A, Kalwar N, et al (2013). Five year retrospective survival analysis of triple negative breast cancer in North-West India. Indian J Cancer, 50, 330-2. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.123616
- Society AC (2007). Breast cancer facts & figures 2007-2008, American cancer society Atlanta.
- Tokiniwa H, Horiguchi J, Takata D, et al (2012). Topoisomerase II alpha expression and the Ki-67 labeling index correlate with prognostic factors in estrogen receptor-positive and human epidermal growth factor type-2-negative breast cancer. Breast Cancer, 19, 309-14. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-011-0291-4
- Wakamatsu S, Mitsuyama S, Nanba K, et al (2006). Adjuvant therapy for breast cancer in Kyushu. Breast Cancer, 13, 308-12. https://doi.org/10.2325/jbcs.13.308
- Wang S, Shi Y, Yuan Z, et al (2012). Classical CMF regimen as adjuvant chemotherapy for triple-negative breast cancer may be more effective compared with anthracycline or taxanebased regimens. Medical Oncol, 29, 547-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-011-9964-2
- Wu H, Kang H, Liu Y, et al (2012). Roles of ABCB1 gene polymorphisms and haplotype in susceptibility to breast carcinoma risk and clinical outcomes. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 138, 1449-62. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-012-1209-z
- Xue C, Wang X, Peng R, et al (2012). Distribution, clinicopathologic features and survival of breast cancer subtypes in Southern China. Cancer Sci, 103, 1679-87. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2012.02339.x
- Yao L, Liu Y, Li Z, et al (2011). HER2 and response to anthracycline-based neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer. Ann Oncol, 22, 1326-31. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq612
- Zare N, Doostfatemeh M, Rezaianzadeh A (2012). Modeling of breast cancer prognostic factors using a parametric loglogistic model in Fars province, Southern Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1533-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1533
- Zare N, Ghanbari S, Salehi A (2013). Effects of two chemotherapy regimens, anthracycline-based and CMF, on breast cancer disease free survival in the Eastern Mediterranean Region and Asia: a meta-analysis approach for survival curves. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2013-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.2013
- Zare N, Haem E, Lankarani KB, et al (2013). Breast cancer risk factors in a defined population: weighted logistic regression approach for rare events. J Breast Cancer, 16, 214-9. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2013.16.2.214
- Zhang J, Liu Y (2008). HER2 over-expression and response to different chemotherapy regimens in breast cancer. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B, 9, 5-9. https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.B073003
- Overexpression of ANLN contributed to poor prognosis of anthracycline-based chemotherapy in breast cancer patients vol.79, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00280-017-3248-2