- Volume 16 Issue 14
DOI QR Code
Electrical Impedance Tomography as a Primary Screening Technique for Breast Cancer Detection
- Akhtari-Zavare, Mehrnoosh (Cancer Resource & Education Center, Universiti Putra Malaysia) ;
- Latiff, Latiffah A (Cancer Resource & Education Center, Universiti Putra Malaysia)
- Published : 2015.09.02
Electrical impedance tomography (EIT) is a new non-invasive, mobile screening method which does not use ionizing radiation to the human breast. It is based on the theory that cancer cells display altered local dielectric properties, thus demonstrating measurably higher conductivity values. This article reviews the utilisation of EIT in breast cancer detection. It could be used as an adjunct to mammography and ultrasonography for breast cancer screening.
- Athanasiou A, Vanel D, Fournier L, Balleyguier C (2007). Optical mammography: A new technique for visualizing breast lesions in women presenting non palpable BIRADS 4-5 imaging fi ndings: preliminary results with radiologicpathologic correlation. Cancer Imaging, 7, 34-40. https://doi.org/10.1102/1470-7330.2007.0006
- Chakraborti KL, Selvamurthy W (2010). Clinical application of electrical impedance tomography in the present health scenario of India. J Phys Conf Ser, 224, 12069. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/224/1/012069
- Chang H L, Young IK (2015). Effects of attitude, social influence, and self-efficacy model factors on regular mammography performance in life transition aged women in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 3429-34. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3429
- Che CC, Coomarasamy J, Suppayah DB (2014). Perception of breast health among malaysian female adolescents. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 7175-80. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7175
- Cherepenin V, Karpov A, Korjenevsky A, et al (2001). A 3D electrical impedance tomography (EIT) system for breast cancer detection. Physiol Meas, 22, 9-18. https://doi.org/10.1088/0967-3334/22/1/302
- Cherepenin VA, Karpov AY, Korjenevsky AV, et al (2002). Three-dimensional EIT imaging of breast tissues: System design and clinical testing. IEEE Trans Med Imag, 21, 662-7. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMI.2002.800602
- Hope TA, Iles SE (2004). Technology review: the use of electrical impedance scanning in the detection of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res, 6, 69-74. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr888
- Kinouchi Y, Pandya AS, Arimoto A, Agarwal A (2002). A novel approach for measuring electrical impedance tomography for local tissue with artificial intelligent algorithm. International J Biometrics Bioinformatics, 3, 66-81.
- Kulakci H, Ayyildiz TK, Yildirim N, et al (2015). Effects of breast cancer fatalism on breast cancer awareness among nursing students in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 3565-72. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3565
- Loh SY, Chew SL (2011). Awareness and practice of breast self examination among Malaysian women with breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 199-202.
- Malich A, Boehm T, Facius M, et al (2001). Differentiation of mammographically suspicious lesions: evaluation of breast ultrasound, MRI mammography and electrical impedance scanning as adjunctive technologies in breast cancer detection. Clin Radiol, 56, 278-283. https://doi.org/10.1053/crad.2000.0621
- Martin G, Martin R, Brieva MJ, Santamaria L (2002). Electrical impedance scanning in breast cancer imaging: correlation with mammographic and histologic diagnosis. Eur Radiol, 12,1471-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-001-1275-0
- National Cancer Registry (2006). Malaysian cancer statistics, data and figure peninsular Malaysia. ministry of health Malaysia, Malaysia.
- Prasad SN, Houserkova D, Campbell J (2008). Breast imaging using 3D electrical impedance tomography. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub, 152, 151-4. https://doi.org/10.5507/bp.2008.024
- Renata O, Ondrus D, Bella V (2012). Utilisation of electrical impedance tomography in breast cancer diagnosis. Clin Oncol, 25, 36-41.
- Vithana CH, Ariyaratne MAY, Jayawardana PL (2015). Effectiveness of an educational intervention among public health midwives on breast cancer early detection in the district of gampaha, sri lanka. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 227-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.227
- World Health Organization (2009). Breast cancer: prevention and control [Online].
- Zain NM, Chelliah KK (2014a). Breast imaging using electrical impedance tomography: correlation of quantitative assessment with visual interpretation. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1327-31 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1327
- Zain NM, Kanaga KC, Sharifah MIA, Suraya A, Latar NH (2014). Study of electrical impedance tomography as a primary screening technique for breast cancer. IEEE conference on biomedical engineering and science, 8-10 Dec 2014, Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Zou Y, Guo Z (2003). A review of electrical impedance techniques for breast cancer detection. Med Eng Phys, 25, 79-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1350-4533(02)00194-7
- Regional distribution of ventilation in patients with obstructive sleep apnea: the role of thoracic electrical impedance tomography (EIT) monitoring vol.20, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11325-016-1349-5
- Three-Dimensional Holographic Electromagnetic Imaging for Accessing Brain Stroke vol.18, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/s18113852