- Volume 16 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Estimating the Completeness of Gastric Cancer Registration in Ardabil/Iran by a Capture-Recapture Method using Population-Based Cancer Registry Data
- Khodadost, Mahmoud (Department of Epidemiology, Faculty of Health, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Yavari, Parvin (Dept. of Health and Community Medicine, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Babaei, Masoud (German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ)) ;
- Mosavi-Jarrahi, Alireza (Dept. of Health and Community Medicine, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Sarvi, Fatemeh (Dept. of Health and Community Medicine, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Mansori, Kamyar (Department of Epidemiology, Faculty of Public Health, Iran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Khodadost, Behnam (Faculty of Health, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.03.18
Background: Knowledge of cancer incidences is essential for cancer prevention and control programs. Capture-recapture methods have been recommended for reducing bias and increasing the accuracy of cancer incidence estimations. This study aimed to estimate the completeness of gastric cancer registration by the capture-recapture method based on Ardabil population-based cancer registry data. Materials and Methods: All new cases of gastric cancer reported by three sources, pathology reports, death certificates and medical records that reported to Ardabil population-based cancer registry in 2006 and 2008 were enrolled in the study. The duplicate cases based on the similarity of first name, surname and fathers names were identified between sources. The estimated number of gastric cancers was calculated by the log-linear method using Stata 12 software. Results: A total of 857 new cases of gastric cancer were reported from three sources. After removing duplicates, the reported incidence rates for the years 2006 and 2008 were 35.3 and 32.5 per 100,000 population, respectively. The estimated completeness calculated by log-linear method for these years was 36.7 and 36.0, respectively. Conclusions: These results indicate that none of the sources of pathology reports, death certificates and medical records individually or collectively fully cover the incident cases of gastric cancer. We can obtain more accurate estimates of incidence rates using the capture-recapture method.
Capture-recapture;incidence estimation;log-linear;gastric cancer;cancer registration;completeness
- Aghaei A, Ahmadi-Jouibari T, Baiki O, Mosavi-Jarrahi A. (2013). Estimation of the gastric cancer incidence in Tehran by two-source capture-recapture. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 673-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.673
- Babaei M, Jaafarzadeh H, Sadjadi A, et al (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in Ardabil: Report of an ongoing population-based cancer registry in Iran, 2004-2006. Iranian J Public Health, 38, 22-26.
- Babaei M, Pourfarzi F, Yazdanbod A, et al (2010). Gastric cancer in Ardabil, Iran-a review and update on cancer registry data. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 595-9.
- Biglarian A, Hajizadeh E, Kazemnejad A, et al (2009). Survival analysis of gastric cancer patients using Cox model: a five year study. Tehran University Med J, 67, 3417-25
- Boyle P, Levin B (2008). World Cancer Report, IARC Press, Lyon
- Castro CSFC (2011). Estimating completeness of cancer registration-Na application to gastric cancer in the North region registry of portugal. Universidade do Porto.
- Crocetti E, Miccinesi G, Paci E, Zappa M (2001). An application of the two-source capture-recapture method to estimate the completeness of the tuscany cancer registry, Italy. Eur J Cancer Prev, 10, 417-23. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008469-200110000-00005
- Ferlay J, Steliarova-Foucher E, Lortet-Tieulent J, et al (2013). Cancer incidence and mortality patterns in Europe: estimates for 40 countries in 2012. Eur J Cancer, 49, 1374-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2012.12.027
- Gajalakshmi V, Swaminathan R, Shanta V (2001). An independent survey to assess completeness of registration: population based cancer registry, Chennai, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 2, 179-83.
- Ghojazadeh M, Mohammadi M, Azami-Aghdash S, et al (2013). Estimation of cancer cases using capture-recapture method in Northwest Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3237-41. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3237
- Hook EB, Regal RR (1997). Validity of methods for model selection, weighting for model uncertainty and small sample adjustment in capture-recapture estimation. Am J Epidemiol, 145, 1138-,44. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a009077
- Hook EB, Regal RR (2000). Accuracy of alternative approaches to capture-recapture estimates of disease frequency: internal validity analysis of data from five sources. Am J Epidemiol, 152, 771-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/152.8.771
- Kamo K, Kaneko S, Satoh K, et al (2007). A mathematical estimation of true cancer incidence using data from population-based cancer registries. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 37, 150-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyl143
- Khodabakhshi R, Gouhari M, Biglarian A, et al (2009). Survival analysis of patients with gastric adenocarconoma. Kosar Med J, 12, 345-55.
- Matsuda T, Marugame T, Kamo K, et al (2008). Cancer incidence and incidence rates in Japan in 2002: based on data from 11 population-based cancer registries. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 38, 641-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyn074
- Mehrabian A, Esna-Ashari F, Zham H, et al (2010). Gastric cancer prevalence, according to survival data in Iran (national study-2007). Iran J Public Health, 39, 27-31.
- Mosavi-Jarrahi A, Ahmadi-Jouibari T, Najafi F, et al (2013). Estimation of esophageal cancer incidence in Tehran by log-linear method using population-based cancer registry data. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5367-70. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5367
- Motevalian A, Holakoeinaeini K, Mahmoodi M, et al (2007). Estimating deaths due to traffic accidents in Kerman using capture-recapture method. J Health Faculty Health Res, 5, 61-72.
- Parkin D, Chen V, Ferlay J, et al (1994). Comparability and quality control in cancer registration: IARC technical report no19. Lyon, France.
- Parkin DM, Bray F (2009). Evaluation of data quality in the cancer registry: principles and methods part II. completeness. Eur J Cancer, 45, 756-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.11.033
- Poorolajal J, Haghdoost AA, Mahmoodi M, et al (2010). Capturerecapture method for assessing publication bias. J Res Med Sci, 15, 107-15.
- Radmard AR (2010). Five common cancers in Iran. Arch Iran Med, 13, 143-6.
- Rajaiefard A, Moghimi B, Mahmoodi M, et al. (2011). Epidemiological and clinical features of gastric cancer: descriptive study of cancer registry cases of Fars province (2001-2006). ISMJ??? 14, 114-21.
- Robles SC, Marrett LD, Clarke EA, Risch HA (1988). An application of capture-recapture methods to the estimation of completeness of cancer registration. J Clin Epidemiol, 41, 495-501. https://doi.org/10.1016/0895-4356(88)90052-2
- Schmidtmann I. (2008). Estimating completeness in cancer registries-comparing capture recapture methods in a simulation study. Biom J, 50, 1077-92. https://doi.org/10.1002/bimj.200810483
- Suwanrungruang K, Sriplung H, Attasara P, et al. (2011). Quality of case ascertainment in cancer registries: a proposal for a virtual three-source capture-recapture technique. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 173-8.
- van Hest NAH (2007). Capture-recapture methods in surveillance of tuberculosis and other infectious diseases, Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Quantification of missing prescriptions in commercial claims databases: results of a cohort study vol.26, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/pds.4165
- Estimation of Oncologists’ Active Supply in Iran: Three Sources Capture-Recapture Method vol.In Press, pp.In Press, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.45933
- Estimation of Oncologists’ Active Supply in Iran: Three Sources Capture-Recapture Method vol.In Press, pp.In Press, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.56126
- Underestimation of cancer incidence in Iran and necessity for establishing population-based cancer registries vol.27, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12754