- Volume 16 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Rs895819 within miR-27a Might be Involved in Development of Non Small Cell Lung Cancer in the Chinese Han Population
- Ma, Ji-Yong (Department of Respiration, Nanjing First Hospital, Nanjing Medical University) ;
- Yan, Hai-Jun (Department of Respiration, Nanjing First Hospital, Nanjing Medical University) ;
- Yang, Zhen-Hua (Department of Respiration, Nanjing First Hospital, Nanjing Medical University) ;
- Gu, Wei (Department of Respiration, Nanjing First Hospital, Nanjing Medical University)
- Published : 2015.03.18
MicroRNA-27a (miR-27a) is deemed to be an oncogene that plays an important role in development of various cancers, and single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) of miR-27a can influence the maturation or aberrant expression of hsa-miR27a, resulting in increased risk of cancer and poor prognosis for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). This study aimed to assess the effects of rs895819 within miR-27a on susceptibility and prognosis of NSCLC patients in 560 clinical confirmed cases and 568 healthy check-up individuals. Adjusted odds/hazard ratios (ORs/HRs) and 95% confidential intervals (CIs) were calculated to evaluate the association between rs895819 and the risk and prognosis of NSCLC. The results showed that allele A and genotype GG of rs895819 were significantly associated with an increased risk of NSCLC (38.9% vs 30.8%, adjusted OR=1.26, 95%CI=1.23-1.29 for allele G vs A; 18.1% vs 11.7%, adjusted OR=1.67, 95%CI=1.59-1.75 for genotype GG vs AA). Moreover, positive associations were also observed in dominant and recessive models (53.7% vs 49.9%, adjusted OR=1.17, 95%CI=1.13-1.20 for GG/AG vs AA; 18.1% vs 11.7%, adjusted=1.65, 95%CI=1.58-1.73). However, no significant association was found between rs895819 and the prognosis of NSCLC in genotype, dominant and recessive models. These results suggested that miR-27a might be involved in NSCLC carcinogenesis, but not in progression of NSCLC. The allele G, genotype GG and allele G carrier (GG/AG vs AA) of rs895819 might be genetic susceptible factors for NSCLC. Further multi-central, large sample size and well-designed prospective studies as well as functional studies are warranted to verify our findings.
miR-27a;single nucleotide polymorphism;NSCLC;Chinese Han
- Aparicio R, Simoes da Silva CJ, and Busturia A(2015). The microRNA miR-7 contributes to the control of Drosophila wing growth. Dev Dyn, 244, 21-30. https://doi.org/10.1002/dvdy.24214
- Chen W, Zheng R, Zhang S, et al (2014). Annual report on status of cancer in China, 2010. Chin J Cancer Res, 26, 48-58.
- Fan X, and Wu Z(2014). Effects of four single nucleotide polymorphisms in microRNA-coding genes on lung cancer risk. Tumour Biol, 35, 10815-24. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-2371-5
- Feng DD, Zhang H, Zhang P, et al (2011). Down-regulated miR-331-5p and miR-27a are associated with chemotherapy resistance and relapse in leukaemia. J Cell Mol Med, 15, 2164-75. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1582-4934.2010.01213.x
- Feng Y, Minca EC, Lanigan C, et al (2014). High MET receptor expression but not gene amplification in ALK 2p23 rearrangement positive non-small-cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol, 9, 646-53. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0000000000000145
- Hong MJ, Choi YY, Jang JA, et al (2013). Association between genetic variants in pre-microRNAs and survival of earlystage NSCLC. J Thorac Oncol, 8, 703-10. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e318288dc0a
- Joshi P, Middleton J, Jeon YJ, et al (2014). MicroRNAs in lung cancer. World J Methodol, 4, 59-72. https://doi.org/10.5662/wjm.v4.i2.59
- Lambert NJ, Gu SG, and Zahler AM(2011). The conformation of microRNA seed regions in native microRNPs is prearranged for presentation to mRNA targets. Nucleic Acids Res, 39, 4827-35. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkr077
- Lee CB, Stinchcombe TE, Rosenman JG, et al (2006). Therapeutic advances in local-regional therapy for stage III non-small-cell lung cancer: evolving role of dose-escalated conformal (3-dimensional) radiation therapy. Clin Lung Cancer, 8, 195-202. https://doi.org/10.3816/CLC.2006.n.047
- Li J, Wang Y, Song Y, et al (2014). miR-27a regulates cisplatin resistance and metastasis by targeting RKIP in human lung adenocarcinoma cells. Mol Cancer, 13, 193. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-4598-13-193
- Liu T, Tang H, Lang Y, et al (2009). MicroRNA-27a functions as an oncogene in gastric adenocarcinoma by targeting prohibitin. Cancer Lett, 273, 233-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2008.08.003
- Ma Y, Yu S, Zhao W, et al (2010). miR-27a regulates the growth, colony formation and migration of pancreatic cancer cells by targeting Sprouty2. Cancer Lett, 298, 150-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2010.06.012
- Ni N, Zhang D, Xie Q, et al (2014). Effects of let-7b and TLX on the proliferation and differentiation of retinal progenitor cells in vitro. Sci Rep, 4, 6671. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep06671
- Noratto GD, Jutooru I, Safe S, et al (2013). The drug resistance suppression induced by curcuminoids in colon cancer SW- 480 cells is mediated by reactive oxygen species-induced disruption of the microRNA-27a-ZBTB10-Sp axis. Mol Nutr Food Res, 57, 1638-48. https://doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.201200609
- Pan W, Wang H, Jianwei R, et al (2014). MicroRNA-27a promotes proliferation, migration and invasion by targeting MAP2K4 in human osteosarcoma cells. Cell Physiol Biochem, 33, 402-12. https://doi.org/10.1159/000356679
- Rodriguez S, Gaunt TR, and Day IN (2009). Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium testing of biological ascertainment for Mendelian randomization studies. Am J Epidemiol, 169, 505-14.
- Rupaimoole R, Wu SY, Pradeep S, et al (2014). Hypoxiamediated downregulation of miRNA biogenesis promotes tumour progression. Nat Commun, 5, 5202. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms6202
- Siegel R, Ma J, Zou Z, et al (2014). Cancer statistics, 2014. CA Cancer J Clin, 64, 9-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21208
- Sun Q, Gu H, Zeng Y, et al (2010). Hsa-mir-27a genetic variant contributes to gastric cancer susceptibility through affecting miR-27a and target gene expression. Cancer Sci, 101, 2241-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2010.01667.x
- Tian Y, Fu S, Qiu GB, et al (2014). MicroRNA-27a promotes proliferation and suppresses apoptosis by targeting PLK2 in laryngeal carcinoma. BMC Cancer, 14, 678. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-14-678
- Wang Q, Li DC, Li ZF, et al (2011). Upregulation of miR-27a contributes to the malignant transformation of human bronchial epithelial cells induced by SV40 small T antigen. Oncogene, 30, 3875-86. https://doi.org/10.1038/onc.2011.103
- Wang Z, Sun X, Wang Y, et al (2014). Association between miR-27a genetic variants and susceptibility to colorectal cancer. Diagn Pathol, 9, 146. https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-1596-9-146
- Xiong XD, Luo XP, Cheng J, et al (2014). A genetic variant in pre-miR-27a is associated with a reduced cervical cancer risk in southern Chinese women. Gynecol Oncol, 132, 450-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2013.12.030
- Xu J, Yin Z, Shen H, et al (2013). A genetic polymorphism in pre-miR-27a confers clinical outcome of non-small cell lung cancer in a Chinese population. PLoS One, 8, 79135. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0079135
- Yang R, Schlehe B, Hemminki K, et al (2010). A genetic variant in the pre-miR-27a oncogene is associated with a reduced familial breast cancer risk. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 121, 693-702. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-009-0633-5
- Ying HQ, Wang F, He BS, et al (2014). The involvement of Kras gene 3'-UTR polymorphisms in risk of cancer and influence on patient response to anti-EGFR therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer: a meta-analysis. Onco Targets Ther, 7, 1487-96.
- Yoon KA, Yoon H, Park S, et al (2012). The prognostic impact of microRNA sequence polymorphisms on the recurrence of patients with completely resected non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 144, 794-807. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2012.06.030
- Zhang H, Li M, Han Y, et al (2010). Down-regulation of miR-27a might reverse multidrug resistance of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Dig Dis Sci, 55, 2545-51. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-009-1051-6
- Zhao ZG, Jin JY, Zhang AM, et al (2014). MicroRNA profile of tumorigenic cells during carcinogenesis of lung adenocarcinoma. J Cell Biochem, [Epub ahead of print].
- Evaluation of miR-27a, miR-181a, and miR-570 Genetic Variants with Gallbladder Cancer Susceptibility and Treatment Outcome in a North Indian Population vol.19, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40291-015-0159-y
- MicroRNAs and Drinking: Association between the Pre-miR-27a rs895819 Polymorphism and Alcohol Consumption in a Mediterranean Population vol.17, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms17081338