- Volume 16 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Breast and Cervical Cancer Knowledge and Awareness among University Students
- Altay, Birsen (Nursing, School Of Health, Ondokuz Mayis University) ;
- Avci, Ilknur Aydin (Nursing, School Of Health, Ondokuz Mayis University) ;
- Rizalar, Selda (Nursing, School Of Health, Ondokuz Mayis University) ;
- Oz, Hatice (Samsun Provincial Health Directorate) ;
- Meral, Damla (Nursing, School Of Health, Ondokuz Mayis University)
- Published : 2015.03.18
Background: Breast and cervical cancers are the most common types of cancer in women worldwide. Previous studies in Asia have shown that related knowledge and awareness is low among female university students. The goal of this study was to assess breast and cervical cancer knowledge, practices, and awareness among female university students in Samsun,Turkey. Materials and Methods: This research was a cross-sectional survey of female university students using a self-administered. questionnaire to investigate participant awareness and knowledge of breast and cervical cancer. A total of 301 female university students participated. Descriptive statistics and chi square tests were used for data analysis. Results: The mean age of the participants in this study was
Turkis university students;breast cancer;cervical cancer;screening;awareness
- Acikgoz A, Cehreli R, Ellidokuz H (2011). Women's knowledge and attitude about cancer and the behaviour for early diagnosis procedures. Dokuz Eylul University J Med Faculty, 25, 145-54.
- Acikgoz A, Ergor G (2013). Compliance with screening recommendations according to breast cancer risk levels in Izmir, Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1737-42. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1737
- Akhtari-Zavare1 M, Juni MH, Said SM, Ismail IZ (2013). Beliefs and behavior of Malaysia undergraduate female students in a public university toward breast self-examination practice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 57-61. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.57
- Akkas Gursoy A, Yigitbas C, Yilmaz F, et al (2009). The effect of peer education on university students' knowledge of breast self-examination and health beliefs. J Breast Health, 5, 135-43.
- Aslan A, Temiz M, Yigit Y, et al (2007). The knowledge attitude and behaviorus of nursery students about breast cancer. TAF Prev Med Bulletin, 6, 193-198.
- Aydin Avci I, Altay B, Kocaturk B (2008). Midwifery students' health beliefs intended for breast self examination Breast Health J, 4, 25-28 (in Turkish).
- Aydin Avci I, Kumcagiz H, Altinel B, Caloglu A (2014). Turkish female academician self-esteem and health beliefs for breast cancer screening. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 155-60. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.155
- Benford Mafuvadze A, Angellar Manguvo B, et al (2013). Breast cancer knowledge and awareness among high school and college students. Int J Sci Edu, Part B: Comm Public Engagement, 3, 144-58. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500693.2012.664294
- Bora Basara B, Guler C, Yentur GK, et al (2012). T.C. health ministry Turkey's statistical yearbook, 2013, 34.
- Cam O, Babacan Gumus A (2006). Psychosocial factors affecting the behavior of early detection of breast and cervical cancer. Ege University Nurs School J, 22, 81-93 (in Turkish).
- Ersin F, Bahar Z (2012). Effects of health promotion models on breast cancer early detection behaviors: a literature review. Dokuz Eylul Univers Nurs School J, 5, 28-38.
- GenCturk N (2013). Kadin saglik profesyonellerinin meme kanseri erken tani yontemlerini bilme ve uygulama Durumlari. J Breast Health, 9, 5-9.
- http://www.cancer.org/research/cancerfactsstatistics/cancerfactsfigures2014/. Accessed: 30 June 2014.
- http://globocan.iarc.fr/Pages/fact_sheets_population.aspx. Accessed: 1.7.2014.
- http://kanser.gov.tr/daire-faaliyetleri/kanser-istatistikleri.html Accessed: 5. July 2014.
- Idris SA, Hamza AA, Hafiz MM, Ali MEA, Gamal E. H. A. El Shallaly GEHA (2013). Knowledge, attitude and practice of breast self examination among final years female medical students in Sudan. Int J Public Health Res, 1, 6-10.
- KaCaroglu V, KoCyigit C, Kabak N (2010). Determination of the Breast Cancer and BSE Knowledge level among university students. maltepe university. J Nurs Sci Art, 338.
- Kanbur A, Capik C (2011). Cervical cancer prevention, early diagnosis-screening methods and midwives/nurses role. Hacettepe University Health Science Faculty Nurs J, 18, 61-72.
- Karadag G, Gungormus Z, Surucu R, Savas E, Bicer F (2014). Awareness and practices regarding breast and cervical cancer among Turkish women in Gazientep. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1093-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1093
- Karayurt O, Ozmen D, CakmakCi Cetinkaya A (2008). Awareness of breast cancer risk factors and practice of breast self examination among high school students in Turkey. BMC Public Health, 8, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-8-1
- Ksiazek J, Habel A, Cieszynska M, Kruk A (2013). The selfassessment of lifestyle and prevention of breast cancer on the example of female students from selected high schools in Tricity. Zdrowie Publiczne, 123, 139-43 https://doi.org/10.12923/j.0044-2011/123-2/a.08
- Ludwick, R, Gaczkowski, T (2001). Breast self-exams by teenagers. Cancer Nurs, 24, 315-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200108000-00013
- Luo J, Margolis KL, Wactawski-Wende J, et al (2011). Association of active and passive smoking with risk of breast cancer among postmenopausal women: A prospective cohort study. BMJ, 342, d1016. Accessed July 10, 2014, from http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.d1016.full.pdf. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.d1016
- Mc Menamin M, Barry H, Lennon A, et al (2005). A survey of breast cancer awareness and knowledge in a Western population: Lots of light but little illumination. Eur J Cancer, 41, 393-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2004.11.015
- Ozdemir O, Bilgili N (2010). Knowledge and practices of nurses working in an education hospital on early diagnosis of breast and cervix cancers. TAF Prev Med Bulletin, 9, 605-12.
- Ozmen V, Fidaner C, Aksaz E, et al (2009). Organizing earlydiagnosis and screening programs for breast cancer in Turkey "The report of breast cancer early detection and screening sub-committee, National Cancer Advisory Board, The Ministry of Health of Turkey". J Breast Health, 5, 125-34.
- Poonam RN, Nagaraj K, Nirgude AS (2012). Awareness of cervical cancer and effectiveness of educational intervention programme among nursing students in a rural area of Andhra Pradesh. Healthline, 3, 41-5.
- Rohan, TE (2011). Association of active and passive smoking with risk of breast cancer among postmenopausal women: A prospective cohort study. BMJ, 342, d1016. Retrieved Feb 17,2012,from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3047002/?tool=pubmed https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.d1016
- Rosenberg R, Levi-Schwartz, R (2003). Breast cancer in women younger than 40 years. Int J Fertility Women's Med, 48, 200-5.
- Saraiya UB (2003). Preventable but not prevented: the reality of cervical cancer. J Obstet Gynecol Res, 29, 351-359. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1341-8076.2003.00126.x
- Secginli S (2011). Breast cancer screening: What are the last changes? TAF Preventive Medical Bulletin, 10, 193-200.
- Sogukpinar N, Karaca Saydam B, Ozturk Can H, et al (2013). Assessment of cervical cancer risk in women between 15 and 49 years of age: case of Izmir. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2119-25. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.2119
- Sonmez Y, Nayir T, Kose S et al (2012). Bir saglik ocagi bolgesinde 20 yas ve uzeri kadinlarin meme ve serviks kanseri erken tanisina iliskin davranislari. S.D.U. Med Faculty J, 19, 124-30.
- Tuna A, Unsal Avdal E, Cinar Yucel S, et al (2014). Effectiveness of online education in teaching breast self-examination. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3227-31. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3227
- Waxman AG, Saraiya UB (2005). Guidelines for cervical cancer screening, history and scientific rationale. Clin Obstet Gynecol, 48, 77-97. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.grf.0000151590.08451.26
- Xue, F, Willett WC, Rosner BA, et al (2011). Cigarette smoking and the incidence of breast cancer. Arch Int Med, 171, 125-33.
- Yaren A, Ozkilinc G, Guler A, Oztop I (2008). Awareness of breast and cervical cancer risk factors and screening behaviours among nurses in rural region of Turkey. Eur J Cancer Care, 17, 278-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2354.2007.00856.x
- Association Assessment among Risk Factors and Breast Cancer in a Low Income Country: Bangladesh vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7507
- Exploring breast health practices of post-menopausal women: Implications to informed consent pp.1461-7277, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105316669876