- Volume 16 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Upper Gastrointestinal Tract Polyps: What Do We Know About Them?
- Buyukasik, Kenan (Department of Surgery, Istanbul Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Sevinc, Mert Mahsuni (Department of Surgery, Istanbul Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Gunduz, Umut Riza (Department of Surgery, Antalya Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Ari, Aziz (Department of Surgery, Istanbul Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Gurbulak, Bunyamin (Department of Surgery, Istanbul Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Toros, Ahmet Burak (Department of Gastroenterology, Nisantasi University) ;
- Bektas, Hasan (Department of Surgery, Istanbul Education and Research Hospital)
- 발행 : 2015.04.14
Background: This study aimed to evaluate upper gastrointestinal polyps detected during esophago-gastroduodenoscopy tests. Materials and Methods: We conducted a retrospective analysis on data regarding 55,987 upper gastrointestinal endoscopy tests performed at the endoscopy unit of Istanbul Education and Research Hospital between January 2006 and June 2012. Results: A total of 66 upper gastrointestinal polyps from 59 patients were analyzed. The most common clinical symptom was dyspepsia, observed in 41 cases (69.5%). The localizations of the polyps were as follows: 29 in the antrum (43.9%), 15 in the corpus (22.7%), 11 in the cardia (16.7%), 3 in the fundus (4.54%), 3 in the second portion of the duodenum (4.54%), 2 in the bulbus (3.03%) and 3 in the lower end of the esophagus (4.54%). Histopathological types of polyps included hyperplastic polyps (44) (66.7%), faveolar hyperplasia (8) (12.1%), fundic gland polyps (4) (6.06%), squamous cell polyps (4) (6.06%), hamartomatous polyps (3) (4.54%), and pyloric gland adenoma (3) (4.54%). Histopathological analysis of the gastric mucosa showed chronic atrophic gastritis in 30 cases (50.84%), HP infection in 33 cases (55.9%) and intestinal metaplasia in 19 cases (32.20%). In 3 cases with multiple polyps, adenocarcinoma was detected in hyperplastic polyps. Conclusions: Among polypoid lesions of the upper gastrointestinal tract, the most common histological type is hyperplastic polyps. Generally, HP infection is associated with chronic atrophic gastritis and intestinal metaplasia. The incidence of adenocarcinoma tends to be higher in patients with multiple hyperplastic polyps.
Upper gastrointestinal tract;polyps;gastroscopy;Turkey
- Archimandritis A, Spiliadis C, Tzivras M, et al (1996). Gastric epithelial polyps; a retrospective endoskopic study of 12974 symptomatic patients. Ital J Gastroenterol, 28, 387-90.
- Carmack SW, Gentra RM , Schuler CM, Sabortan MH (2009). The current spectrum of gastric polpyps;a 1 year national study of over 120000 patients. Am J Gastroenterol, 104, 1524-32. https://doi.org/10.1038/ajg.2009.139
- Demirel BB, Akkas EB, Vural GU (2013). Clinical factors related with helicobacter pylori infection is there an association with gastric cancer history in first-degree family members? Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 14, 1797-802. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1797
- Hirota WK, Zuckerman MJ, Adler DG, et al (2006). ASGE guideline: the role of endoscopy in the surveillance of premalignant conditions of the upper GI tract. Gastrointest Endosc, 63, 570-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gie.2006.02.004
- Jalving M, Koornsta JJ, Wesseling J, et al (2006). Increased risk of fundic gland polipys during long term proton pump inhibitor therapy. Aliment Pharmacol Ther, 24, 1341-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2006.03127.x
- Kokkola A. Sjoblom S, Haapiainen R, et al (1998). The risk of gastric carcinoma and carcinoid tumours in patients with pernicious anemia: a prospective follow-up study. Scand J Gastroenterol, 33, 88-92. https://doi.org/10.1080/00365529850166266
- Ljubicic N, Banic M, Kujundzic M, et al (1999). The effect of eradicating Helico- bacter pylori infection on the course of adenomatous and hyperplastic gastric polyps. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 11, 727-30. https://doi.org/10.1097/00042737-199907000-00008
- Mansour-Ghanaei F, Sokhanvar H, Joukar F, et al (2012). Endoscopic findings in a mass screening program for gastric cancer in a high risk region-Guilan province of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1407-12. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1407
- Mansour-Ghanaei F, Joukar F, Baghaei SM, et al (2012). Gastric precancerous lesions in first degree relatives of patients with known gastric cancer: a cross-sectional prospective study in guilan province, North of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1779-82. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1779
- Mansour-Ghanaei F, Joukar F, Soati F, et al (2013). Outcome of intestinal metaplasia in gastric biopsy of patients with dyspepsia in guilan province, North Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3549-54. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3549
- Morais DJ, Yamanaka A, Zeitune JM, Andreollo NA (2007). Gastric polyps: a retrospective analysis of 26000 digestive endoscopies. Arg Gastroenterol, 44, 14-7.
- Oberhuber G, Stolte M (2000). Gastric polps; an update of their pathology and biological signifance. Virchows Arch, 437, 581-90. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004280000330
- Ohkusa T, Takashimizu I, Fujiki K, et al (1998). Disappearance of hyperplastic polyps in the stomach after eradication of Helicobacter pylori. A randomized, clinical trial. Ann Intern Med, 129, 712-5. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-129-9-199811010-00006
- Feldman M, Friedman LS, Brandt LJ (2010). Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease-9th edition.
- Yoon WJ, Lee DH, Jung YJ, et al (2006). Histologic characteristics of gastric polyps in Korcea: emphasis on discrepancy between endoscopic forceps biopsy and endoscopic mucosal resection specimen. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 4029-32. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v12.i25.4029