- Volume 16 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Histopathological Evaluation of Urothelial Carcinomas in Transurethral Resection Urinary Bladder Tumor Specimens: Eight Years of Single Center Experience
- Koyuncuer, Ali (Department of Pathology, State Hospital)
- Published : 2015.04.14
Background: Urothelial carcinoma (UC) is a malignant neoplasm that most commonly occurs in the urinary bladder. The primary aim of this study was to evaluate the clinicopathologic features, recurrence and progression in patients with bladder urothelial cancer. Materials and Methods: The medical records of patients diagnosed with UC in the state pathology laboratory between January 2006 and July 2014 were retrospectively included. Carcinomas were categorized according to age, gender, histologic grade, tumor configuration, pathologic staging, recurrence status, and progression. Results: A total of 125 (113 men, 12 women) patients were examined. The mean age was 65.9 years and the male-to-female urothelial cancer incidence ratio was 9.4:1. Low-grade UCs were observed in 85 (68%) and high-grade in 40 (32%). A papillary tumor pattern was observed in 67.2% of the UCs. Cases were classified with the following pathological grades: 34 (27.2%) cases of pTa, 70 (56%) of pT1, and 21 (16.8%) of pT2. Recurrence occurred in 27 (21.6%) patients. Ten progressed to a higher stage (pT1 to pT2), and three cases to higher grade (low to high). We also analyzed the results separately for 70 (56%) patients 65 years of age and older. Conclusions: With early detection and diagnosis of precursor lesions in older patients, by methods such as standard urologic evaluation, urinary cytology, ultrasound scanning and contrast urography, and cystoscopy, in addition to coordinated efforts between pathologists and urologists, early diagnosis may reduce the morbidity and mortality of patients with urothelial carcinoma.
Age;bladder cancer;histologic grade;gender;pathologic stage;progression;recurrence
- Akagashi K, Tanda H, Kato S,et al (2006). Recurrence pattern for superficial bladder cancer. Int J Urol, 13, 686-91. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2042.2006.01386.x
- Alsheikh A, Mohamedali Z, Jones E, et al (2001). Comparison of the WHO/ISUP classification and cytokeratin 20 expression in predicting the behavior of low-grade papillary urothelial tumors. World/Health Organization/Internattional Society of Urologic Pathology. Mod Pathol, 14, 267-72. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.3880300
- Amin MB, Delahunt B, Bochner BH, et al (2014). Protocol for the examination of specimens from patients with carcinoma of the Urinary Bladder. College of American Pathologists (CAP); 1996-2010. http://www.cap.org webcite.
- Andius P, Johansson SL, Holmang S (2007). Prognostic factors in stage T1 bladder cancer: tumor pattern (solid or papillary) and vascular invasion more important than depth of invasion. Urology, 70, 758-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2007.06.638
- Bryan RT, Collins SI, Daykin MC, et al (2010). Mechanisms of recurrence of Ta/T1 bladder cancer. Ann R Coll Surg Engl, 92, 519-24. https://doi.org/10.1308/003588410X12664192076935
- Burch JD, Rohan TE, Howe GR, et al (1989). Risk of bladder cancer by source and type of tobacco exposure: a case-control study. Int J Cancer, 44, 622-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910440411
- Burger M, Catto JW, Dalbagni G, et al (2013). Epidemiology and risk factors of urothelial bladder cancer. Eur Urol, 63, 234-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2012.07.033
- Chamie K, Litwin MS, Bassett JC, et al (2013). Urologic Diseases in America Project. Recurrence of high-risk bladder cancer: a population-based analysis. Cancer, 119, 3219-27. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.28147
- Cheng L, Neumann RM, Weaver AL, et al (2000). Grading and staging of bladder carcinoma in transurethral resection specimens. Correlation with 105 matched cystectomy specimens. Am J Clin Pathol, 113, 275-9. https://doi.org/10.1309/94B6-8VFB-MN9J-1NF5
- Cheng L, Lopez-Beltran A, Bostwick DG (2012). Bladder cancer: general features,first ed.:A John Wiley & Sons, Inc.,New Jersey, pp138-152.
- Choi YL, Lee SH, Kwon GY,et al (2007). Overexpression of CD24: association with invasiveness in urothelial carcinoma of the bladder. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 131, 275-81.
- Chu H, Wang M and Zhang Z (2013): Bladder cancer epidemiology and genetic susceptibility. J Biomed Res, 27, 170-8. https://doi.org/10.7555/JBR.27.20130026
- DeSouza K, Chowdhury S and Hughes S (2014): Prompt diagnosis key in bladder cancer. Practitioner, 258, 23-7.
- Eble JN, Grignon DJ and Young RH (2013). Tumors of the urinary bladder and urethra. tumors of the urinary tract. In: Fletcher CDM editor,fourt ed.Elsevier Inc., Philadelphia (PA), pp614.
- Figueroa AJ, Stein JP, Dickinson M, et al (1998). Radical cystectomy for elderly patients with bladder carcinoma: an updated experience with 404 patients. Cancer, 83, 141-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19980701)83:1<141::AID-CNCR19>3.0.CO;2-X
- Gupta P, Jain M, Kapoor R, Muruganandham K, Srivastava A and Mandhani A (2009). Impact of age and gender on the clinicopathological characteristics of bladder cancer. Indian J Urol, 25, 207-10. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-1591.52916
- Herr HW, Donat SM and Reuter VE (2007): Management of low grade papillary bladder tumors. J Urol, 178, 1201-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2007.05.148
- Hoke GP, Stone BA, Klein L and Williams KN (1999): The influence of gender on incidence and outcome of patients with bladder cancer in Harlem. J Natl Med Assoc, 91, 144-8.
- Horstmann M, Witthuhn R, Falk M and Stenzl A (2008): Gender-specific differences in bladder cancer: a retrospective analysis. Gend Med, 5, 385-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.genm.2008.11.002
- Jimenez RE, Gheiler E, Oskanian P, et al (2000). Grading the invasive component of urothelial carcinoma of the bladder and its relationship with progression-free survival. Am J Surg Pathol, 24, 980-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000478-200007000-00009
- Kakehi Y, Hirao Y, Kim WJ, et al (2010). Bladder Cancer Working Group report. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 40, 57-64. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyq128
- Koyuncuer A: Immunohistochemical expression of p63, p53 in urinary bladder carcinoma (2013). Indian J Pathol Microbiol, 56, 10-5. https://doi.org/10.4103/0377-4929.116141
- Lopez-Beltran A, Bassi P, Pavone-Macaluso M and Montironi R (2004). Handling and pathology reporting of specimens with carcinoma of the urinary bladder, ureter, and renal pelvis. Eur Urol, 45, 257-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2003.09.018
- La Vecchia C, Bosetti C, Lucchini F, et al (1975). Cancer mortality in Europe, 2000-2004, and an overview of trends since 1975. Ann Oncol, 21, 1323-60.
- Lippka Y, Patschan O, Todenhofer T, et al (2013). Bladder cancer discussed on the internet: a systematic analysis of gender differences of initial posters on an online discussion board. Springerplus, 2, 445. https://doi.org/10.1186/2193-1801-2-445
- Lopez-Beltran A, Sauter G , Gasser T, et al (2004). Tumours of the Urinary System. In: Eble JN, Sauter G, Epstein JI, Sesterhenn IA, editors: World health organization classification of tumours pathology and genetics: tumours of the urinary system and male genital organs, IARC Press, Lyon, pp88-157.
- Maruniak NA, Takezawa K, Murphy WM (2002). Accurate pathological staging of urothelial neoplasms requires better cystoscopic sampling. J Urol, 167, 2404-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(05)64993-2
- Millan-Rodriguez F, Chechile-Toniolo G, Salvador-Bayarri J, et al (2000). Primary superficial bladder cancer risk groups according to progression, mortality and recurrence. J Urol, 164, 680-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(05)67280-1
- Miyamoto H, Brimo F, Schultz L, et al (2010). Low-grade papillary urothelial carcinoma of the urinary bladder: a clinicopathologic analysis of a post-World Health Organization/International Society of Urological Pathology classification cohort from a single academic center. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 134, 1160-3.
- Mostofi FK, Sobin LH and Torloni H (1973). Histological typing of urinary bladder tumours. International Histological Classification of Tumors. No:10. WHO Geneva , Switzerlend, pp9-33.
- Negri E and Vecchia CL (2007). Epidemiology and prevention of bladder cancer. In: Bassi PF, Pagano F, editors. Invasive Bladder Cancer. Springer, London, pp1-14.
- Nielsen ME, Shariat SF, Karakiewicz PI, et al (2007). Bladder Cancer Research Consortium (BCRC). Advanced age is associated with poorer bladder cancer-specific survival in patients treated with radical cystectomy. Eur Urol, 51, 699-706. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2006.11.004
- Nomikos M, Pappas A, Kopaka ME, et al (2011). Urothelial carcinoma of the urinary bladder in young adults. Presentation, clinical behavior and outcome. Adv Urol, 480738.
- Oosterhuis JW, Schapers RF, Janssen-Heijnen ML, et al (2002). Histological grading of papillary urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: prognostic value of the 1998 WHO/ISUP classification system and comparison with conventional grading systems. J Clin Pathol, 55, 900-5. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.55.12.900
- Pan CC, Chang YH, Chen KK, et al (2010). Prognostic significance of the 2004 WHO/ISUP classification for prediction of recurrence, progression, and cancer-specific mortality of non-muscle-invasive urothelial tumors of the urinary bladder: a clinicopathologic study of 1,515 cases. Am J Clin Pathol, 133, 788-95. https://doi.org/10.1309/AJCP12MRVVHTCKEJ
- Parkin DM, Pisani P, Ferlay J (1999): Estimates of the worldwide incidence of 25 major cancers in 1990. Int J Cancer, 80, 827-41. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19990315)80:6<827::AID-IJC6>3.0.CO;2-P
- Quirk JT, Li Q, Natarajan N, Mettlin CJ and Cummings KM (2004). Cigarette smoking and the risk of bladder cancer in men and women. Tob Induc Dis, 2, 141-4. https://doi.org/10.1186/1617-9625-2-3-141
- Rosai J (2011) Bladder. In Rosai and Ackerman's Surgical Pathology. Rosai J editor, tenth ed. Mosby Elsevier, New York, pp1247-71.
- Schapers RF, Pauwels RP, Wijnen JT, et al (1994). A simplified grading method of transitional cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder: reproducibility, clinical significance and comparison with other prognostic parameters. Br J Urol, 73, 625-31. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.1994.tb07546.x
- Schned AR, Andrew AS, Marsit CJ, et al (2008). Histological classification and stage of newly diagnosed bladder cancer in a population-based study from the Northeastern United States. Scand J Urol Nephrol, 42, 237-42. https://doi.org/10.1080/00365590801948166
- Shephard EA, Stapley S, Neal RD, et al (2012). Clinical features of bladder cancer in primary care. Br J Gen Pract, 62, 598-604. https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgp12X654560
- Siegel R, Ma J, Zou Z, Jemal A (2014). Cancer Statistics, 2014. CA Cancer J Clin, 64, 9-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21208
- Silverman DT, Hartge P, Morrison AS and Devesa SS (1992). Epidemiology of bladder cancer. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am, 6, 1-30.
- Skinner DG (1977). Current state of classification and staging of bladder cancer. Cancer Res, 37, 2838-42.
- Sobin LH, Gospodarowicz MK and Wittekind C (2009). TNM Classification of Malignant Tumours, 7Th Ed. International Union against Cancer (UICC). John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Atrium, Southern Gate, Chichester, West Sussex UK, pp262-265.
- Stanton ML, Xiao L, Czerniak BA and Guo CC (2013) Urothelial tumors of the urinary bladder in young patients: a clinicopathologic study of 59 cases. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 137, 1337-41. https://doi.org/10.5858/arpa.2012-0322-OA
- Taylor JA 3rd and Kuchel GA (2009). Bladder cancer in the elderly: clinical outcomes, basic mechanisms, and future research direction. Nat Clin Pract Urol, 6, 135-44. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncpuro1315
- Van der Heijden AG and Witjes JA (2009). Recurrence, Progression, and Follow-Up in Non-Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer. European Urology Supplements, 8556-562.
- Vedder MM, Marquez M, de Bekker-Grob EW, et al (2014). Risk prediction scores for recurrence and progression of nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer: an international validation in primary tumours. PLoS One, 9, 96849. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0096849
- Wang ZH, Li YY, Hu ZQ, et al (2012). Does urothelial cancer of bladder behave differently in young patients? Chin Med J (Engl), 125, 2643-8.
- Histopathological Study TURBT Biopsies of Urinary Bladder Cancer vol.12, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3923/tmr.2017.51.54