- Volume 16 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effects of Perceived Smoking-Cancer Relationship and Cardiovascular Health Attitudes on Childrens' Views of Smoking
- Bektas, Ilknur (Department of Pediatric Nursing, Dokuz Eylul University Faculty of Nursing) ;
- Bektas, Murat (Department of Pediatric Nursing, Dokuz Eylul University Faculty of Nursing) ;
- Selekoglu, Yasemin (Department of Pediatric Nursing, Dokuz Eylul University Faculty of Nursing) ;
- Kudubes, Asli Akdeniz (Department of Pediatric Nursing, Dokuz Eylul University Faculty of Nursing) ;
- Altan, Sema Sal (Department of Pediatric Nursing, Dokuz Eylul University Faculty of Nursing) ;
- Ayar, Dijle (Department of Pediatric Nursing, Dokuz Eylul University Faculty of Nursing)
- Published : 2015.04.14
Background: This study was conducted with the aim of determining how students' perceived smoking-cancer relationship and cardiovascular health attitudes affect childrens' views of smoking. Materials and Methods: The sample of this descriptive-cross sectional study comprised 574 subjects between the ages of 11-15. The data were collected using the Children's Cardiovascular Health Promotion Attitude Scale and the Children's Decisional Balance Measure for Assessing and Predicting Smoking Status. Correlation and logistic regression were used for analysis. Results: It was determined that a statistically significant relationship exists between the attitudes of children towards smoking and their ideas about the relationship of smoking with cancer, which is negative and low (r=-0.223). There was also a statistically significant relationship between their attitudes towards cardiovascular health and their attitudes towards smoking, again at a low level (r=0.257). It was determined that children with ideas about smoking and cancer were 9.4 times less likely to have positive/negative attitudes towards smoking, while positive attitudes towards cardiovascular health made negative attitudes towards smoking 3.9 times less likely. Conclusions: It was determined that the attitudes of students towards cardiovascular health and their perceptions of smoking and cancer reduced the positive perceptions towards smoking.
Smoking;perceived smoking-cancer relationship;hearth health and smoking
- Akdur R (2009). Smoking epidemic in youth, smoking and health symposium, April, Ankara. Access date:10.01.2015 http://www.ssuk.org.tr/
- Bandura A (1998). Health promotion from the perspective of social cognitive theory. Psychology Hlth, 13, 623-49. https://doi.org/10.1080/08870449808407422
- Bektas M, Ozturk C, Armstrong M (2010a). An approach to children's smoking behaviors using social cognitive learning theory. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1143-9.
- Bektas M, Ozturk C, Armstrong M (2010b). Psychometric properties of a translated decisional balance scale for assessing and predicting children's smoking status. Anadolu Psikiyatri Derg, 11, 327-34.
- Bektas M, Ozturk C, Karatas H, Bektas I (2014). Effects of student perceptions of social skills on their perception of smoking. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5937-40. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5937
- Bilir N (2007). European tobacco control report. WHO Turkiye Ofisi, Ankara
- Cavazos-Rehg AP, Krauss JM, Spitznagel EL, Grucza AR, Bierut LJ (2013). The hazards of new media: youth's exposure to tobacco ads/promotions. Nicotine Tob Res, 16, 437-44.
- Chang F, Miao N, Lee C, et al (2014). The association of media exposureand media literacy with adolescent alcohol and tobacco use. J Health Psychol [Epub ahead of print].
- Chen HS, Horner SD, Percy MS, et al (2008). Stages of smoking acquisition of young taiwanese adolescents: Self-efficacy and decisional balance. Res Nurs Health, 31, 119-29. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.20236
- Edwards L (2002). Research priorities in school nursing: A delphi process. J Sch Nurs, 18, 157-62. https://doi.org/10.1177/10598405020180030601
- Engels RCME, Noom MJ, Hale WW, Vries H de (2005). Self-efficacy and emotional adjustment as precursors of smoking in early adolescence. Subst Use Misuse, 40, 1883-93. https://doi.org/10.1080/10826080500259612
- Go AS, Mozaffarian D, Roger VL, et al (2014). Heart disease and stroke statistics-2014 update: a report from the American heart association. Circulation, 129, 399-410. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.cir.0000442015.53336.12
- GSROND (2011). Global status report on noncommunicable diseases 2010. Geneva, World Health Organization.
- Hayman LL, Williams CL, Daniels SR, et al (2004). Cardiovascular health promotion in the schools: a statement for health and education professionals and child health advocates from the committee on atherosclerosis, hypertension, and obesity in youth (AHOY) of the council on cardiovascular disease in the young, American heart association. Circulation, 110, 2266-75. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000141117.85384.64
- Hock LK, Ghazali SM, Cheong KC, et al (2014). Prevalence and factors associated with smoking intentions among non-smoking and smoking adolescents in kota tinggi, Johor, Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4359-66. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4359
- Jeganathan PD, Hairi NN, Al Sadat N, Chinna K. (2013). Smoking stage relations to peer, school and parental factors among secondary school students in Kinta, Perak. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 14, 3483-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3483
- Karimy M, Niknami S, Heidarnia AR, et al (2013). Refusal self efficacy, self esteem, smoking refusal skills and water pipe (Hookah) smoking among Iranian male adolescents. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7283-88. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7283
- Kelder SH, Peny CL, Klepp K, Lytle LL (1994). Longitudinal tracking of adolescent smoking , physical activity , and food choice behaviors. Am J Public Health, 84, 1121-26. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.84.7.1121
- Lotrean LM, Loghin CR, Popa M, De Vries H (2013). Smoking prevention for adolescents in Romanian schools. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 14, 7017-21. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.7017
- Ozturk C, Bektas M, Mert O (2014). Effects of cigarette smoking across three generations and of perceptions of the smoking-cancer relationship on the cigarette smoking status of Turkish university students. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4527-33. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4527
- Ozturk H, Bahar Z (2014) Childrens' cardiovascular health promotion attitude scale's validity and Reliability. DEUHYO ED, 7, 92-7.
- Parlak Sert H, Bektas M, Ozturk C (2014). Effects of self-concept levels and perceived academic achievements of Turkish students on smoking perceptions. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1307-12. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1307
- Philip PM, Parambil NA, Bhaskarapillia, Balasubramanian S (2013). Evaluation of a specially designed tobacco control program to reduce tobacco use among school children in Kerala. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3455-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3455
- Turkish Statistical Institute (2014). Cause of death statistics 2013. Access Date: 01.10.2014 http://www.tuik.gov.tr/PreHaberBultenleri.do?id=16198.
- Ulgen H, Ozturk C, Armstrong M (2012). Effect of self-efficacy on Turkish children's perceptions of the advantages/disadvantages of smoking. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 795-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.795
- National Tobacco Control Programme and Action Plan (2008). The hazards of new media: youth's exposure to tobacco Ads/Promotions. Access Date: 01.10.2014 http://sbu.saglik.gov.tr/Ekutuphane/kitaplar/t15.pdf
- WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic (2014). Access Date: 01.10.2014. http://www.who.int/tobacco/global_report/en/
- WHO; Mortality and global health estimates, Access Date: 01.10.2014. http://www.who.int/gho/mortality_burden_disease/en/