- Volume 16 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effect of Autophagy-Related Beclin1 on Sensitivity of Cisplatin-Resistant Ovarian Cancer Cells to Chemotherapeutic Agents
- Sun, Yang (Department of Gynecology, Fujian Provincial Hospital, Fujian Provincial Clinical Medical College, Fujian Medical University) ;
- Liu, Jia-Hua (Department of Gynecology, Fujian Provincial Hospital, Fujian Provincial Clinical Medical College, Fujian Medical University) ;
- Jin, Long (Department of Pathology, Fujian Provincial Hospital, Fujian Provincial Clinical Medical College, Fujian Medical University) ;
- Sui, Yu-Xia (Department of Pharmacy, Fujian Provincial Hospital, Fujian Provincial Clinical Medical College, Fujian Medical University) ;
- Han, Li-Li (Fujian Provincial Key Laboratory of Cardiovascular Disease, Fujian Provincial Hospital) ;
- Huang, Yin (Department of Pathology, Fujian Provincial Hospital, Fujian Provincial Clinical Medical College, Fujian Medical University)
- Published : 2015.04.14
The purpose of the study was to determine the effects of autophagy related gene Beclin1 at different levels of expression on the sensitivity of cisplatin-resistant ovarian cancer cells (SKOV3/DDP) to different chemotherapeutics. In pSUPER-Beclin1 transfected cells, real-time fluorescence quantitative RT-PCR and Western blot analysis showed that expression was significantly inhibited. Flow cytometry revealed that the mean fluorescence intensity (MDC), reflecting autophagy, and cells in the G0/G1 phase were markedly reduced. When compared with the blank control group, inhibition of Beclin1 expression in SKOV3/DDP cells not only increased the rate of apoptosis following treatment with chemotherapeutics, but also increased the sensitivity. These findings suggest that Beclin1 expression plays an important role in chemotherapeutic agent-induced death of SKOV3/DDP cells. Inhibition of autophagy related gene Beclin1 expression in SKOV3/DDP cells may increase the rate of apoptosis and elevate the sensitivity to chemotherapeutics.
Supported by : Fujian Provincial Health and Family Planning Commission, Natural Science Foundation of Fujian Province of China
- Choi AM, Ryter SW, Levine B (2013). Autophagy in human health and disease. N Engl J Med, 368, 1845-6. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMc1303158
- Cui Q, Tashiro S, Onodera S, et al (2007). Oridonin induced autophagy in human cervical carcinoma HeLa cells through Ras, JNK, and P38 regulation. J Pharmacol Sci, 105, 317-25. https://doi.org/10.1254/jphs.FP0070336
- Denton D, Nicolson S, Kumar S (2012). Cell death by autophagy: facts and apparent artefacts. Cell Death Differ, 19, 87-95. https://doi.org/10.1038/cdd.2011.146
- Gewirtz DA (2014). The four faces of autophagy: implications for cancer therapy. Cancer Res, 74, 647-51. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-13-2966
- Green DR, Galluzzi L, Kroemer G (2014). Cell biology, Metabolic control of cell death. Science, 345, 1250-6. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1254629
- Guo XL, Li D, Hu F, et al (2012). Targeting autophagy potentiates chemotherapy-induced apoptosis and proliferation inhibition in hepatocarcinoma cells. Cancer Lett, 320, 171-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2012.03.002
- Han Y, Xue XF, Shen HG, et al (2014). Prognostic significance of Beclin-1 expression in colorectal cancer: a meta-analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4583-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4583
- Liu BEY, Ryan KM (2012). Autophagy and cancer-issues we need to digest. J Cell Science, 125, 2349-58. https://doi.org/10.1242/jcs.093708
- Marino G, Niso-Santano M, Baehrecke EH, et al (2014). Self-consumption: the interplay of autophagy and apoptosis. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol, 15, 81-94. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrm3735
- Meyn RE, Milas L, Ang KK (2009). The role of apoptosis in radiation oncology. Int J Radiat Biol, 85, 107-15. https://doi.org/10.1080/09553000802662595
- Palmeira dos Santos C, Pereira GJ, Barbosa CM, et al (2014). Comparative study of autophagy inhibition by 3MA and CQ on Cytarabine induced death of leukaemia cells. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 140, 909-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-014-1640-4
- Pandey S, Chandravati (2012). Autophagy in cervical cancer: an emerging therapeutic target. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4866-71.
- Sahni S, Merlot AM, Krishan S, et al (2014). Gene of the month: BECN1. J Clin Pathol, 67, 656-60. https://doi.org/10.1136/jclinpath-2014-202356
- Shi YH, Ding ZB, Zhou J, et al (2011). Targeting autophagy enhances sorafenib lethality for hepatocellular carcinoma via ER stress-related apoptosis. Autophagy, 7, 1159-72. https://doi.org/10.4161/auto.7.10.16818
- Sun Y, Liu JH, Jin L, et al (2014). Inhibition of Beclin1 expression enhances cisplatin-induced apoptosis through a mitochondrial-dependent pathway in human ovarian cancer SKOV3/DDP cells. Oncology Res, 21, 261-9. https://doi.org/10.3727/096504014X13946388748992
- Sun Y, Liu JH, Pan L, et al (2011). Modulatory effects of Beclin1 on expression of angiopoietin and Tie-2 receptor in human cervical cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2895-990.
- Sun Y, Liu JH, Sui YX, et al (2011). Beclin1 overexpression inhibitis proliferation, invasion and migration of CaSki cervical cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1269-73.
- Wang SM, Li XH, Xiu ZL (2014). Over-expression of Beclin-1 facilitates acquired resistance to histone deacetylase inhibitor-induced apoptosis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 7913-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7913
- Zhang SF, Wang XL, Yang XQ, et al (2014). Autophagy-associated targeting pathways of natural products during cancer treatment. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10557-63.
- shRNA-mediated AMBRA1 knockdown reduces the cisplatin-induced autophagy and sensitizes ovarian cancer cells to cisplatin vol.41, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.2131/jts.41.45
- Knockdown of ZFPL1 results in increased autophagy and autophagy-related cell death in NCI-N87 and BGC-823 human gastric carcinoma cell lines vol.15, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2017.6300
- Circadian Gene CLOCK Affects Drug-Resistant Gene Expression and Cell Proliferation in Ovarian Cancer SKOV3/DDP Cell Lines Through Autophagy vol.32, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1089/cbr.2016.2153
- MicroRNA-199a-5p inhibits cisplatin-induced drug resistance via inhibition of autophagy in osteosarcoma cells vol.12, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.5172
- Interfering EZH2 Expression Reverses the Cisplatin Resistance in Human Ovarian Cancer by Inhibiting Autophagy vol.31, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1089/cbr.2016.2034
- Increased autophagy in EOC re-ascites cells can inhibit cell death and promote drug resistance vol.9, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41419-018-0449-5