- Volume 16 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Epidemiology Characteristics and Trends of Incidence and Morphology of Stomach Cancer in Iran
- Almasi, Zeinab (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rafiemanesh, Hosein (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, school of public health, Tehran University of medical sciences Tehran) ;
- Salehiniya, Hamid (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, school of public health, Tehran University of medical sciences Tehran)
- Published : 2015.04.14
Background: Stomach cancer is the fourth most common cancer and the second leading cause of cancer-related death through the world. It is predicted that the number of new cancer cases will be more than 15 million cases by 2020. Regarding the lack of studies on this topic in the country, we have thoroughly examined the patho-epidemiology of stomach cancer in Iran. Materials and Methods: In this cross- sectional study data were collected retrospectively reviewing all new stomach cancer patients in Cancer Registry Center report of health deputy for Iran during a 6-year period (2003-2008). The study also examined the morphology of common stomach cancers. Trends in incidence and morphology underwent joinpoint regression analysis. Results: During the six-year period, a total of 35,171 cases of stomach cancer were registered. Average age standardized rate for females and males were equal to 7.1 and 15.1 per 100,000 persons, respectively. Most common histological type was adenocarcinoma, NOS with 21,980 cases (62.50%). The annual percentage change (APC) in age-standardized incidence rate (per 100,000) was increase in both females and males at 11.1 (CI: 4.3 to 18.3) and 9.2 (CI: 5.2 to 13.4), respectively. Conclusions: According to our results, the incidence of gastric cancer is increasing in Iran, so further epidemiological studies into the etiology and early detection are essential.
- Abdi-Rad A, Ghaderi-Sohi S, Nadimi-Barfroosh H, et al (2006). Trend in incidence of gastric adenocarcinoma by tumor location from 1969-2004: a study in one referral center in Iran. Diagn Pathol, 1, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-1596-1-1
- Aghaei A, Ahmadi-Jouibari T, Baiki O, et al (2013). Estimation of the gastric cancer incidence in Tehran by two-source capture-recapture. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 673-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.673
- Ahari SS, Agdam FB, Amani F, et al (2013). Analysis of the relationships between esophageal cancer cases and climatic factors using a geographic information system (GIS): a case study of Ardabil province in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2071-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.2071
- Alireza S, Mehdi N, Ali M (2005). Cancer occurrence in Iran in 2002, an international perspective. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 359.
- Babaei M, Jaafarzadeh H, Sadjadi A, et al (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in Ardabil: report of an ongoing population-based cancer registry in Iran, 2004-2006. Iran J Pub Health, 38, 35-45.
- Babaei M, Mousavi S, Malek M, et al (2005). Cancer occurrence in Semnan province, Iran: results of a population-based cancer registry. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 159-64.
- Bener A, Ayub H, Kakil R, et al (2008). Patterns of cancer incidence among the population of Qatar: a worldwide comparative study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 19-24.
- Derakhshan M, Yazdanbod A, Sadjadi A, et al (2004). High incidence of adenocarcinoma arising from the right side of the gastric cardia in NW Iran. Gut, 53, 1262-6. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2003.035857
- Enayatrad M, Salehiniya H (2014). Trends in gastric cancer incidence in Iran. J Mazandaran Univers Med Sci (JMUMS), 24, 8-16.
- Fritz AG (2000). International classification of diseases for oncology: ICD-O. 2000: World Health Organization.
- Haidari M, Nikbakht MR, Pasdar Y, et al (2012). Trend analysis of gastric cancer incidence in Iran and its six geographical areas during 2000-2005. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3335-41. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3335
- Hajmanoochehri F, Mohammadi N, Nasirian N, et al (2013). Patho-epidemiological features of esophageal and gastric cancers in an endemic region: a 20-year retrospective study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3491-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3491
- Han MA, Choi KS, Lee H-Y, et al (2011). Current status of thyroid cancer screening in Korea: results from a nationwide interview survey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1657-63.
- Inoue M, Tsugane S (2005). Epidemiology of gastric cancer in Japan. Postgraduate Med J, 81, 419-24. https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.2004.029330
- Kim J (2008). Protective effects of Asian dietary items on cancers-soy and ginseng. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 543-8.
- Moore MA, Eser S, Igisinov N, et al (2010). Cancer epidemiology and control in North-Western and Central Asia-past, present and future. Pancreas, 4, 7-1.9.
- Mousavi SM, Gouya MM, Ramazani R, et al (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in Iran. Ann Oncol, 20, 556-63.
- Mousavi SM, Somi MH (2009). Gastric cancer in Iran 1966-2006. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 407-12.
- Najafi F, Mozaffari H, Karami M, et al (2011). Trends in incidence of gastrointestinal tract cancers in Western iran, 1993-2007. Iranian Red Crescent Med J, 13, 805.
- Rampazzo A, Mott GL, Fontana K, et al (2012). Gastric adenocarcinoma trends in the central region of Rio Grande do Sul (Southern Brazil): what has changed in 25 years? Arquivos De Gastroenterologia, 49, 178-83. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0004-28032012000300002
- Sadjadi A, Malekzadeh R, Derakhshan MH, et al (2003). Cancer occurrence in Ardabil: results of a population-based Cancer Registry from Iran. Intern J Cancer, 107, 113-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.11359
- Schmassmann A, Oldendorf M-G, Gebbers J-O (2009). Changing incidence of gastric and oesophageal cancer subtypes in central Switzerland between 1982 and 2007. European J Epidemiol, 24, 603-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-009-9379-y
- Shafaghi A, Mansour-Ghanaei F, Joukar F, et al (2012). Serum gastrin and the pepsinogen I/II ratio as markers for diagnosis of premalignant gastric lesions. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3931-6.
- Somi MH, Farhang S, Mirinezhad SK, et al (2008). Cancer in East Azerbaijan, Iran: results of a population-based cancer registry. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 327-30.
- Somi MH, Mirinezhad K, Farhang S, et al (2006). Gastrointestinal cancer occurrence in East Azarbaijan: a five year study from North Western Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 309.
- Takiar R, Nadayil D, Nandakumar A (2010). Projections of number of cancer cases in India (2010-2020) by cancer groups. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1045-9.
- Wu H, Rusiecki JA, Zhu K, et al (2009). Stomach carcinoma incidence patterns in the United States by histologic type and anatomic site. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 18, 1945-52. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-09-0250
- Yazdizadeh B, Jarrahi AM, Mortazavi H, et al (2005). Time trends in the occurrence of major GI cancers in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 130-4.
- Zhou Y, Zhang Z, Zhang Z, et al (2008). A rising trend of gastric cardia cancer in Gansu Province of China. Cancer Letters, 269, 18-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2008.04.013
- Changing Trends of Types of Skin Cancer in Iran vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4955
- Relationship of Amplification and Expression of the C-MYC Gene with Survival among Gastric Cancer Patients vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7061
- Incidence, Trends and Epidemiology of Cancers in North West of Iran vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7189
- Leukemia in Iran: Epidemiology and Morphology Trends vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7759
- Incidence and Mortality of Breast Cancer and their Relationship with the Human Development Index (HDI) in the World in 2012 vol.16, pp.18, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.18.8439
- Evaluation of the Trends of Stomach Cancer Incidence in Districts of Iran from 2000-2010: Application of a Random Effects Markov Model vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.661
- Breast Cancer in Iranian Woman: Incidence by Age Group, Morphology and Trends vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1393
- Incidence and mortality of kidney cancers, and human development index in Asia; a matter of concern vol.6, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15171/jnp.2017.06
- The Rise in Mortality from Breast Cancer in Young Women: Trend Analysis in Brazil vol.12, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0168950
- enterotoxin on gastric cancer cells SGC7901 which highly expressed claudin-4 protein vol.9, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4251/wjgo.v9.i4.153
- Novel Variants and Copy Number Variation in CDH1 Gene in Iranian Patients with Sporadic Diffuse Gastric Cancer pp.1941-6636, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12029-018-0082-7
- Bayesian spatio-temporal analysis of stomach cancer incidence in Iran, 2003–2010 vol.32, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00477-018-1531-3