- Volume 16 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Assessing Activity Limitation Among Cancer Survivors in Korea Using Data from a Nationwide Survey
- Oh, Myueng Guen (Department of Internal Medicine, Chosun University Hospital) ;
- Han, Mi Ah (Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Medicine, Chosun University) ;
- Byeon, Yu Mi (Department of Internal Medicine, Chosun University Hospital) ;
- Bae, Kyung Min (Department of Internal Medicine, Chosun University Hospital) ;
- Choi, Seong-Hyung (Department of Internal Medicine, Chosun University Hospital)
- Published : 2015.04.14
Background: More than 1 million cancer survivors reside in Korea. We here investigated activity limitations of cancer survivors compared to controls without a history of cancer. Materials and Methods: Using the 4th and 5th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2007-2012) data, we identified 1,155 adult cancer survivors. Activity limitations were defined as limitation in activities of daily living, experience of lying in a sickbed, and number of days lying in a sickbed during the last month. Descriptive analysis and multiple logistic regression compared these measures for survivors and controls by sex and age groups. Results: Approximately 29.4% of cancer survivors reported limitation in activities of daily living, 14.6% experienced lying in a sickbed, and 4.3% experienced more than 15 days lying in a sickbed during the last month. After controlling for demographic and health-related factors, cancer survivors were more likely to report activity limitation than controls. The associations were similar across sex and age groups. Conclusions: Cancer survivors have increased activity limitation compared to controls and these limitations persist across sex and age. Targeted interventions and improved management are essential for improving cancer survivor daily life.
Activities of daily living;adult;chronic disease;neoplasms;nutrition surveys;survivors
- Bloom JR (2008). Improving the health and well-being of cancer survivors: past as prologue. Psychooncol, 17, 525-32. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1302
- Elliott J, Fallows A, Staetsky L, et al (2011). The health and well-being of cancer survivors in the UK: findings from a population-based survey. Br J Cancer, 105, 11-20. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2011.418
- Geenen MM, Cardous-Ubbink MC, Kremer LC, et al (2007). Medical assessment of adverse health outcomes in long-term survivors of childhood cancer. Jama, 297, 2705-15. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.297.24.2705
- Glimelius B, Tiret E, Cervantes A, et al (2013). Rectal cancer: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol, 24, 81-8.
- Jung KW, Won YJ, Kong HJ, et al (2014). Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality, survival, and prevalence in 2011. Cancer Res Treat, 46, 109-23. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2014.46.2.109
- Khoshnevis N, Ahmadizar F, Alizadeh M, et al (2012). Nutritional assessment of cancer patients in Tehran, Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1621-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1621
- Kim AR, Cho J, Hsu YJ, et al (2012). Changes of quality of life in gastric cancer patients after curative resection: a longitudinal cohort study in Korea. Ann Surg, 256, 1008-13. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e31827661c9
- Kim JH, Chang JH, Kim DY, et al (2014). Association between self-reported sleep duration and serum vitamin d level in elderly korean adults. J Am Geriatr Soc, 62, 2327-32. https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.13148
- Kirchhoff AC, Spraker-Perlman HL, McFadden M, et al (2014). Sociodemographic disparities in quality of life for survivors of adolescent and young adult cancers in the behavioral risk factor surveillance system. J Adolesc Young Adult Oncol, 3, 66-74. https://doi.org/10.1089/jayao.2013.0035
- Kumaran A, Guruvare S, Sharan K, et al (2014). Chemoradiation related acute morbidity in carcinoma cervix and correlation with hematologic toxicity: a South Indian prospective study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4483-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4483
- Kweon S, Kim Y, Jang MJ, et al (2014). Data resource profile: the korea national health and nutrition examination survey (KNHANES). Int J Epidemiol, 43, 69-77. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyt228
- Labianca R, Nordlinger B, Beretta GD, et al (2013). Early colon cancer: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol, 24, 64-72.
- Ness KK, Hudson MM, Ginsberg JP, et al (2009). Physical performance limitations in the childhood cancer survivor study cohort. J Clin Oncol, 27, 2382-9. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.21.1482
- Ness KK, Mertens AC, Hudson MM, et al (2005). Limitations on physical performance and daily activities among long-term survivors of childhood cancer. Ann Intern Med, 143, 639-47. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-143-9-200511010-00007
- O'Sullivan CK, Bowles KH, Jeon S, et al (2011). Psychological distress during ovarian cancer treatment: improving quality by examining patient problems and advanced practice nursing interventions. Nurs Res Pract, 2011, 351642.
- Petty L, Lester J (2014). Distress screening in chronic disease: essential for cancer survivors. J Adv Pract Oncol, 5, 107-14.
- Richardson LC, Wingo PA, Zack MM, et al (2008). Health-related quality of life in cancer survivors between ages 20 and 64 years: population-based estimates from the behavioral risk factor surveillance system. Cancer, 112, 1380-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23291
- Sim BY, Lee YW, Kim H, et al (2014). Post-traumatic growth in stomach cancer survivors: prevalence, correlates and relationship with health-related quality of life. Eur J Oncol Nurs. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tanriverdi D, Cuhadar D, Ciftci S (2014). Does the impairment of functional life increase the probability of suicide in cancer patients? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9549-53. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9549
- Vin-Raviv N, Hillyer GC, Hershman DL, et al (2013). Racial disparities in posttraumatic stress after diagnosis of localized breast cancer: the BQUAL study. J Natl Cancer Inst, 105, 563-72. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djt024
- Waddell T, Verheij M, Allum W, et al (2014). Gastric cancer: ESMO-ESSO-ESTRO clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Eur J Surg Oncol, 40, 584-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2013.09.020
- Yabroff KR, Lawrence WF, Clauser S, et al (2004). Burden of illness in cancer survivors: findings from a population-based national sample. J Natl Cancer Inst, 96, 1322-30. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djh255
- Yoon H, Kim Y, Lim YO, et al (2014). Factors affecting quality of life of older adults with cancer in Korea. Geriatr Gerontol Int. [Epub ahead of print]
- The Effects of a Culturally Tailored, Patient-Centered Psychosocial Intervention in South Korean Cancer Survivors pp.1552-3799, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1054773818755836