- Volume 16 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Assessing Activity Limitation Among Cancer Survivors in Korea Using Data from a Nationwide Survey
- Oh, Myueng Guen (Department of Internal Medicine, Chosun University Hospital) ;
- Han, Mi Ah (Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Medicine, Chosun University) ;
- Byeon, Yu Mi (Department of Internal Medicine, Chosun University Hospital) ;
- Bae, Kyung Min (Department of Internal Medicine, Chosun University Hospital) ;
- Choi, Seong-Hyung (Department of Internal Medicine, Chosun University Hospital)
- Published : 2015.04.14
Background: More than 1 million cancer survivors reside in Korea. We here investigated activity limitations of cancer survivors compared to controls without a history of cancer. Materials and Methods: Using the 4th and 5th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2007-2012) data, we identified 1,155 adult cancer survivors. Activity limitations were defined as limitation in activities of daily living, experience of lying in a sickbed, and number of days lying in a sickbed during the last month. Descriptive analysis and multiple logistic regression compared these measures for survivors and controls by sex and age groups. Results: Approximately 29.4% of cancer survivors reported limitation in activities of daily living, 14.6% experienced lying in a sickbed, and 4.3% experienced more than 15 days lying in a sickbed during the last month. After controlling for demographic and health-related factors, cancer survivors were more likely to report activity limitation than controls. The associations were similar across sex and age groups. Conclusions: Cancer survivors have increased activity limitation compared to controls and these limitations persist across sex and age. Targeted interventions and improved management are essential for improving cancer survivor daily life.
- Bloom JR (2008). Improving the health and well-being of cancer survivors: past as prologue. Psychooncol, 17, 525-32. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1302
- Elliott J, Fallows A, Staetsky L, et al (2011). The health and well-being of cancer survivors in the UK: findings from a population-based survey. Br J Cancer, 105, 11-20. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2011.418
- Geenen MM, Cardous-Ubbink MC, Kremer LC, et al (2007). Medical assessment of adverse health outcomes in long-term survivors of childhood cancer. Jama, 297, 2705-15. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.297.24.2705
- Glimelius B, Tiret E, Cervantes A, et al (2013). Rectal cancer: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol, 24, 81-8.
- Jung KW, Won YJ, Kong HJ, et al (2014). Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality, survival, and prevalence in 2011. Cancer Res Treat, 46, 109-23. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2014.46.2.109
- Khoshnevis N, Ahmadizar F, Alizadeh M, et al (2012). Nutritional assessment of cancer patients in Tehran, Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1621-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1621
- Kim AR, Cho J, Hsu YJ, et al (2012). Changes of quality of life in gastric cancer patients after curative resection: a longitudinal cohort study in Korea. Ann Surg, 256, 1008-13. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e31827661c9
- Kim JH, Chang JH, Kim DY, et al (2014). Association between self-reported sleep duration and serum vitamin d level in elderly korean adults. J Am Geriatr Soc, 62, 2327-32. https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.13148
- Kirchhoff AC, Spraker-Perlman HL, McFadden M, et al (2014). Sociodemographic disparities in quality of life for survivors of adolescent and young adult cancers in the behavioral risk factor surveillance system. J Adolesc Young Adult Oncol, 3, 66-74. https://doi.org/10.1089/jayao.2013.0035
- Kumaran A, Guruvare S, Sharan K, et al (2014). Chemoradiation related acute morbidity in carcinoma cervix and correlation with hematologic toxicity: a South Indian prospective study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4483-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4483
- Kweon S, Kim Y, Jang MJ, et al (2014). Data resource profile: the korea national health and nutrition examination survey (KNHANES). Int J Epidemiol, 43, 69-77. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyt228
- Labianca R, Nordlinger B, Beretta GD, et al (2013). Early colon cancer: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol, 24, 64-72.
- Ness KK, Hudson MM, Ginsberg JP, et al (2009). Physical performance limitations in the childhood cancer survivor study cohort. J Clin Oncol, 27, 2382-9. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.21.1482
- Ness KK, Mertens AC, Hudson MM, et al (2005). Limitations on physical performance and daily activities among long-term survivors of childhood cancer. Ann Intern Med, 143, 639-47. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-143-9-200511010-00007
- O'Sullivan CK, Bowles KH, Jeon S, et al (2011). Psychological distress during ovarian cancer treatment: improving quality by examining patient problems and advanced practice nursing interventions. Nurs Res Pract, 2011, 351642.
- Petty L, Lester J (2014). Distress screening in chronic disease: essential for cancer survivors. J Adv Pract Oncol, 5, 107-14.
- Richardson LC, Wingo PA, Zack MM, et al (2008). Health-related quality of life in cancer survivors between ages 20 and 64 years: population-based estimates from the behavioral risk factor surveillance system. Cancer, 112, 1380-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23291
- Sim BY, Lee YW, Kim H, et al (2014). Post-traumatic growth in stomach cancer survivors: prevalence, correlates and relationship with health-related quality of life. Eur J Oncol Nurs. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tanriverdi D, Cuhadar D, Ciftci S (2014). Does the impairment of functional life increase the probability of suicide in cancer patients? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9549-53. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9549
- Vin-Raviv N, Hillyer GC, Hershman DL, et al (2013). Racial disparities in posttraumatic stress after diagnosis of localized breast cancer: the BQUAL study. J Natl Cancer Inst, 105, 563-72. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djt024
- Waddell T, Verheij M, Allum W, et al (2014). Gastric cancer: ESMO-ESSO-ESTRO clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Eur J Surg Oncol, 40, 584-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2013.09.020
- Yabroff KR, Lawrence WF, Clauser S, et al (2004). Burden of illness in cancer survivors: findings from a population-based national sample. J Natl Cancer Inst, 96, 1322-30. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djh255
- Yoon H, Kim Y, Lim YO, et al (2014). Factors affecting quality of life of older adults with cancer in Korea. Geriatr Gerontol Int. [Epub ahead of print]
- The Effects of a Culturally Tailored, Patient-Centered Psychosocial Intervention in South Korean Cancer Survivors pp.1552-3799, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1054773818755836