- Volume 16 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Mean Platelet Volume Could be a Possible Biomarker for Papillary Thyroid Carcinomas
- Baldane, Suleyman (Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Faculty of Medicine, Selcuk University) ;
- Ipekci, Suleyman H (Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Faculty of Medicine, Selcuk University) ;
- Sozen, Mehmet (Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Selcuk University) ;
- Kebapcilar, Levent (Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Faculty of Medicine, Selcuk University)
- Published : 2015.04.14
Thyroid cancer is the most prevalent endocrine cancer and is evident in nearly 5% of thyroid nodules. The correlation between mean platelet volume (MPV) and many other cancer types has been investigated previously. However, the correlation between papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC) and MPV has not yet been studied in detail. The aim of this study was to examine whether MPV would be a useful inflammatory marker to differentiate PTC patients from cases of benign goiter and healthy controls. Preoperative MPV levels in patients with PTC were found to be significantly higher when compared with benign goiter patients and healthy controls ((respectively, 8.05 femtoliter (fl), 7.57 fl, 7.36 fl, p=0.001). After surgical treatment of PTC patients, a significant decrease in MPV levels was seen (8.05 fl versus 7.60 fl, p=0.005). ROC analysis suggested 7.81 as the cut-off value for MPV (AUC=0.729, sensitivity 60%, specificity 80%). In conclusion, maybe changes in MPV levels can be used as an easily available biomarker for monitoring the risk of PTC in patients with thyroid nodules, enabling early diagnosis of PTC.
- Apte SM, Fan D, Killion JJ, Fidler IJ (2004). Targeting the platelet-derivedgrowth factor receptor in antivascular therapy for human ovarian carcinoma. Clinical Cancer Research, 10, 897-90. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-1151-3
- Cho SY, Yang JJ, You E, et al (2013). Mean platelet volume/platelet count ratio in hepatocellular carcinoma. Platelets, 24, 375-77. https://doi.org/10.3109/09537104.2012.701028
- Cramer JD, Fu P, Harth KC, Margevicius S, Wilhelm SM (2010). Analysis of the rising incidence of thyroid cancer using the Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results national cancer data registry. Surgery, 148, 1147-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2010.10.016
- Gasparyan AY, Ayvazyan L, Mikhailidis DP, Kitas GD (2011). Mean platelet volume: A link between thrombosis and inflammation? Curr Pharm Des, 17, 47-58. https://doi.org/10.2174/138161211795049804
- George JN (2000). Platelets. Lancet, 355, 1531-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(00)02175-9
- Kilincalp S, Coban S, Akinci H, et al (2014). Neutrophil/lymphocyte ratio, platelet/lymphocyte ratio and mean platelet volume as potential biomarkers for early detection and monitoring of colorectal adenocarcinoma. Eur J Cancer Prev, [Epub ahead of print].
- Kim DK, Oh SY, Kwon HC, et al (2009). Clinical significances of preoperative serum interleukin-6 and C-reactive protein level in operable gastric cancer. BMC Cancer, 9, 155. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-9-155
- Kisucka J, Butterfield CE, Duda DG, et al (2006). Platelets and platelet adhesion support angiogenesis while preventing excessive hemorrhage. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 103, 855-60. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0510412103
- Kilincalp S, Ekiz F, Basar O, et al (2014). Mean platelet volume could be possible biomarker in early diagnosis and monitoring of gastric cancer. Platelets, 25, 592-94. https://doi.org/10.3109/09537104.2013.783689
- Krajewska J, Jarzab B (2014). Novel therapies for thyroid cancer. Expert Opin Pharmacother, 15, 2641-52. https://doi.org/10.1517/14656566.2014.969240
- Mangalpally KK, Siqueiros-Garcia A, Vaduganathan M, Dong JF, Kleiman NS, Guthikonda S (2010). Platelet activation patterns in platelet size subpopulations: differential responses to aspirin in vitro. J Thrombosis Thrombolysis, 30, 251-62. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11239-010-0489-x
- Mutlu H, Berk V, Karaca H, et al (2012). Treatment regimen with bevacizumab decreases mean platelet volume in patients with metastatic colon cancer. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost, 18, 546-68. https://doi.org/10.1177/1076029611430958
- Oge T, Yalcin OT, Ozalp SS, Isikci T (2013). Platelet volume as a parameter for platelet activation in patients with endometrial cancer. J Obstet Gynaecol, 33, 301-14. https://doi.org/10.3109/01443615.2012.758089
- Pacini F, Schlumberger M, Dralle H, Elisei R, Smit JW, Wiersinga W; European Thyroid Cancer Taskforce (2006). European consensus for the management of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma of the follicular epithelium. Eur J Endocrinol, 154, 787-803. https://doi.org/10.1530/eje.1.02158
- Pellegriti G, Frasca F, Regalbuto C, Squatrito S, Vigneri R (2013). Worldwide increasing incidence of thyroid cancer: update on epidemiology and risk factors. J Cancer Epidemiol, 2013, 965212.
- Shacter E, Weitzman SA. Chronic inflammation and cancer (2002). Oncology, 16, 217-26.
- Sierko E, Wojtukiewicz MZ (2004). Platelets and angiogenesis in malignancy. Seminars in Thrombosis and Hemostasis, 30, 95-108. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2004-822974
- Threatte GA (1993). Usefulness of the mean platelet volume. Clinics in Laboratory Medicine, 13, 937-50.
- Tuncel T, Ozgun A, Emirzeoglu L, Celik S, Bilgi O, Karagoz B (2014). Mean platelet volume as a prognostic marker in metastatic colorectal cancer patients treated with bevacizumab-combined chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6421-23. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6421
- Wang R-T, Li Y, Zhu X-Y, Zhang Y-N (2011). Increased mean platelet volume is associated with arterial stiffness. Platelets, 22, 447-51. https://doi.org/10.3109/09537104.2011.565431
- Kemal Y, Demirag G, Ekiz K, Yucel I. Mean platelet volume could be a useful biomarker for monitoring epithelial ovarian cancer. J Obstet Gynaecol, 34, 515-18.
- Creatine Kinase (CK)-MB-to-Total-CK Ratio: a Laboratory Indicator for Primary Cancer Screening vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6599
- Can Head and Neck Cancers Be Detected with Mean Platelet Volume? vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7045
- Mean platelet volume in retinopathy of prematurity vol.253, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00417-015-3047-6
- Lack of Variation in Inflammatory Hematological Parameters between Benign Nodular Goiter and Papillary Thyroid Cancer vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2321
- Diagnostic and prognostic roles of the mean platelet volume in malignant tumors: a systematic review and meta-analysis vol.27, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3109/09537104.2016.1169265
- Temporary changes in neutrophil-to-lymphocyte, platelet-to-lymphocyte ratios, and mean platelet volume reflecting the inflammatory process after radioiodine therapy vol.37, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1097/MNM.0000000000000452
- Trends in white blood cell and platelet indices in a comparison of patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma and multinodular goiter do not permit differentiation between the conditions vol.42, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/07435800.2017.1319859
- Thrombosis in Thyroid Cancer vol.In Press, pp.In Press, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5812/ijem.57897
- Utility of complete blood count parameters to detect premature ovarian insufficiency in cases with oligomenorrhea/amenorrhea pp.08878013, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcla.22372
- The clinical implications of mean platelet volume and mean platelet volume/platelet count ratio in locally advanced esophageal squamous cell carcinoma vol.31, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1093/dote/dox125
- Evaluation of Hemocytometer Parameters as Potential Biomarkers in Benign Multinodular Goiter and Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma vol.19, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.58295
- Analysis of haemostasis biomarkers in patients with advanced stage lung cancer during hypofractionated radiotherapy treatment vol.46, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0300060517750976
- Diagnostic Accuracy of Preoperative Neutrophil-to-Lymphocyte and Platelet-to-Lymphocyte Ratios in Detecting Occult Papillary Thyroid Microcarcinomas in Benign Multinodular Goitres vol.2018, pp.2042-0072, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3470429