- Volume 16 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Prevention of Nausea and Vomiting: Methods and Utility after Surgery in Cancer Patients?
- Firoozabadi, Mehdi Dehghani (Department of Anesthesiology, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rahmani, Hossein (Departments of Toxicology, Shahreza Branch, Islamic Azad University)
- Published : 2015.04.14
Most cancer patients experience nausea and vomiting after surgery. Today, many methods of treatment have been developed and used for the control of such symptoms. The most important are drug therapy, relaxation, oxygen therapy and gas therapy. In addition, dexamethasone, massage therapy and using a Venturi mask have also proven effective. Due to the nature of gas consumption which leads to nausea it is recommended that use of N2O in the operating room be avoided or applied in combination with oxygen or other gases with fewer complications.
Cancer surgery;nausea;vomiting;control measures;oxygen;relaxation;N2O
- Ayala M, Celebi T, Uzun B, Freitag Y (2012). Effects of comparison of premedication with clonidine and midazolam combined with TCI for orthopaedic shoulder surgery. Anasthesiol Intensiv Med Notfallmed Schmerzther, 23, 56-86.
- Bhatnagar S, Mishra S , Gupta M, Singal AK (2005). Effect of different concentrations of intraoperative supplemental oxygen on postoperative nausea and vomiting(PONV) in patients undergoing radical mastectomy. Intern J Anesthesiol, 9, 120.
- Brandt F, Singh V, Franck Y (2005). Effect of managing the multiple cause of PONV in the patient with cancer. Cancer Nursing, 37, 54-67.
- Bynner B, Stegen N, Smeltzer P (2005). Ondansetron is no more effective than supplemental intraoperative oxygen for prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anesthesiology, 76, 54-63.
- Canbay R, Muller F (2013). Effect of intravenous midazolam premedication on postoperative nausea and vomiting In cancer patients. Biosci Trends, 11, 5-72.
- Chen MS, Hong CL, Chung HS, et al (2006). Dexamethasone effectively reduces postoperative nausea and vomiting in a general surgical adult patient population. Chang Gung Med J, 29, 175-81.
- Coskun F, Palomar Z (2013). Comparison clonidine and Metoclopramide on postoperative nausea and vomiting in cancer patients. Eur J Anaesthesiol, 21, 76-118.
- Cupta A, Stierer T, Zuckerman R, Sakima N, Parker SD (2004). Comparison of recovery profile after ambulatory anesthesia with Propofol, Isoflurane, Sevoflurane and Desflurane: a systematic review. Anesth Analg, 98, 632-410.
- Denehy P, Guinn S, silver W (2005). Granisetron/dexamethasone combination for reducing nausea and vomiting during and after spinal anesthesia for cesarean section. Anesth Analg, 41, 67-98.
- Dietrich M, Castro A, Tauro J (2011). Subhypnotic doses of Betamethasone prevent postoperative nausea and vomiting In cancer patients. Middle East J Anesthesiol, 42, 65-73.
- Ekangaki F, Chung R (2005). Gastrointestinal pharmacology. In: Bovill JG, Howie MB (editors). Clinical pharmacology for anaesthetists. 1st edition. London: WB Saunders; pp.16-98.
- Gan TJ (2006). Risk factor for postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anesth Analg, 102, 1884-98. https://doi.org/10.1213/01.ANE.0000219597.16143.4D
- Gaur F, Gupta L (2005). Nitrous oxide dose not increase vomiting in children after myringotomy. Can J Anesth, 13, 176-88.
- Golfam w, Golfam P, Golfam B (2009).The effect of excess oxygen in reducing nausea and vomiting after breast surgery. Sci Med Univers Ilam Winter, 17, 31-5.
- Habib AS, Itchon-Ramos N (2004). A survey of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anesthesia, 4, 67-85.
- Harter RL (2002). Postoperative nausea and vomiting: prevention and therapy. Curr Opin Anaesth, 13, s469-73.
- Hickok L, Yeung WS (2012). Effect of massage on nausea and vomiting in patients post anxiety. Cancer Nurs, 19, 76-87.
- Houston P, Scholes C (2004).Foot massage: A nursing intervention to modify the distressing symptoms of pain and nausea in patients hospitalized with cancer. Cancer Nursing, 54, 156-68.
- Isik D, Dietrich F, Castro S, Miao U (2013). Betamethasone effectively reduces postoperative nausea and vomiting in cancer patients. Chang Gung Med J, 6, 95-119.
- Jaakkola JJ, Flak B, Gupta V (2009). Effect of supplemental oxygen reduce the incidence of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anesth Analg, 54, 59-68.
- Kearney N, Sripramote M, Petchpaisit N (2012). Effect of water massage on nausea and vomiting in patients post anxiety. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 32, 52-63.
- Kim F, John S, Schmoll HJ (2013). Effect of acupressure on chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in cancer patients post anxiety. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 18, 5-17.
- Korjuo L, Youn S, Miller F, et al (2010). Evaluation of three risk scores to predict postoperative nausea and vomiting. Acta Anesthesiol Scand, 5, 45-6.
- Koerschgen M, Hendrata S (2013). Effect of analysis of postoperative nausea and vomiting with enflurane and desflurane. Br J Anaesth, 24, 4-10.
- Kreisarin Th, Baker RA (2013). Supplemental oxygen and the incidence of post anxiety nausea and vomiting in patients. Rev Bras Anestesiol, 33, 234-45.
- Kurz A, Zimmer C (2012). Effects oxygen therapy in the incidence of postoperative nausea and vomiting in patients. Anesth Analg, 31, 23-35.
- Kumkeaw P (2005). Day-case surgery: problem related to recovery. Br J Anesth, 65, 87-98.
- Lapoint D, Kuhly P, Robertson K (2006). Effects of relaxation to reduce PONV induced by chemotherapy. Supportive Cancer Therapy, 14, 78-95. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-005-0830-7
- Lefebvre A (2005). Effect of relaxation, imaging on PONVin brass cancer. Cancer Nursing, 13, 178-87.
- Lindbohm S, Hirvonen A (2007). Effect of supplemental oxygen reduce the incidence of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anesth Analg, 14, 97-116.
- Madan R, Bhatia A, Chakithandy S, et al (2005). Prophylactic dexamethasone for postoperative nausea and vomiting in pediatric strabismus surgery: a dose ranging and safety evaluation study. Anesth Analg, 100, 1622-6. https://doi.org/10.1213/01.ANE.0000150977.14607.E1
- Marro G, Bijuri T (2006). Dexamethasone decreases epidural morphine-related nausea and vomiting. Anesth Analg, 54, 78-85.
- Mathiv M, Jonkins P (2006). A meta analysis of nausea and vomiting following maintenance of anesthesia with propofol or inhalational agents. Eur J Anesthesiol, 64, 54-91.
- Miller DR (2005). Anestheia. 6th ed. New York: Churchill Livingstone; 1-50, 105-155.
- Normandin N, Rohm KD (2005). Adjusting oxygen use to reduce postoperative nausea, Eur J Anesthesiol, 34, 231-41.
- Nortcliffe SA, Shah J, Buggy DJ (2003). Prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting after spinal morphine for Caesarean section: comparison of cyclizine, dexamethasone and placebo. Br J Anaesth, 90, 665-70. https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aeg120
- Perreault L, Tramer M (2007). Mcquay H, Omitting nitrous oxide in general anesthesia. Br J Anesth, 11, 25-45.
- Piper SN, Rohm KD, Boltd J, Faust KL (2006). Inspired oxygen fraction of 0.8 compared with 0.4 does not further reduce postoperative nausea and vomiting in dolasetron-treated patients undergoing laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Br J Anaesth, 97, 647-53. https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/ael242
- Purhonen S, Niskanen M, Wustefeld M (2003). Supplemental oxygen for preventation of nausea and vomiting after breast surgery. Br J Anaesth, 91, 284-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aeg162
- Ratehanon S, Morrow GR, Wiriysirivej B (2011). The effect of relaxation intervention on nausea and vomiting in patients post anxiety. Support Care Cancer, 21, 34-57.
- Rowbotham DJ (2005). Recent advances in the non-pharmacological management of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Br J Anaesth, 95, 77-81. https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aei125
- Ruthstrom R, Tonner H (2012). Effects of clonidine on postoperative nausea and vomiting in breast cancer patients. Anesthesiology, 53, 43-56.
- Sinikka P, Matti T, Ulla R (2003). Supplemental oxygen does not reduce the incidence of postoperative nausea and vomiting after ambulatory gynecologic laparoscopy. Anesth Analg, 96, 91-6.
- Sohajil A, Hanisa B 2006. Effects of a comparison of the incidence of postoperative nausea and vomiting after propofol fentanyl anesthesia and that ofter nitrous oxide anesthesia. Masui, 4, 14-25.
- Stoeliting PK, Dierdorf SF (2002). Anesthesia & Co-Existing Disease. 4th ed. New York: Churchill livingstone: 233-299.
- Toyooka H (2012). Effects of halothane and enflurane in the incidence of postoperative nausea and vomiting in patients. Chang Gung Med J, 19, 106-52.
- Ulla R (2006). meta analysis of nausea and vomiting following maintenance of anesthesia with propofol or inhalational agents. Eur J Anesthesiol, ??, 65-76.
- Vigil G, Dom L (2012). Midazolam: an effective antiemetic after Surgery in cancer patients-a clinical trial. Anesth Analg, 54, 339-43.
- Viswanathan M, Eisenberg Z (2006). Relaxation to reduce nausea, vomiting and anxiety induced by chemotherapy in Japanese patients. Cancer Nursing, 54, 245-56.
- Wakim L, Radtke S, Gaur F (2006). Effects of dexamethasone on decreases PONV after adenotonsilectomy. Am J Emerg Med, 5, 45-65.
- Wang S-Y, Yang Z-J, Zhang L (2014). Olanzapine for preventing nausea and vomiting induced by moderately and highly emetogenic chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9587-92. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.22.9587
- Zahrina AK, Norsa'adah B, Hassan NB, et al (2014). Adherence to capecitabine treatment and contributing factors among cancer patients in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9225. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9225