- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Have we Comprehensively Evaluated the Effectiveness of Endoscopic Screening for Gastric Cancer?
- Hamashima, Chisato (Cancer Screening Assessment and Management Division, Research Center for Cancer Prevention and Screening, National Cancer Center)
- Published : 2015.04.29
Endoscopy has been increasingly used in clinical practice and as a standardized examination procedure for gastrointestinal diseases. However, only a few studies on endoscopic screening for evaluating mortality reduction from gastric cancer have been carried out. Even if a high detection rate is obtained in clinical practice, such a rate cannot be directly accepted as evidence providing the effectiveness of cancer screening. Endoscopic screening for gastric cancer is not an exception of possibility to detect overdiagnosis. If detection rate is used for the evaluation of the effectiveness of cancer screening, the possibility of overestimating the effectiveness of cancer screening cannot be ruled out. To avoid the effect of overdiagnosis and confirm the effectiveness of endoscopic screening, mortality reduction from gastric cancer must be carefully evaluated by conducting reliable studies. The burden of gastric cancer remains real and this cannot be ignored in Eastern Asian countries. To determine the best available method for gastric cancer screening, evaluation of its effectiveness is a must. Endoscopic screening for gastric cancer has shown promising results, and thus deserves further comprehensive evaluation to reliably confirm its effectiveness and how its optimal use can be strategically promoted.
Gastric cancer screening;upper gastrointestinal endoscopy;mortality reduction;overdiagnosis
- Cho BY (2014). Evaluation of the validity of current national health screening programs and plans to improve the system. pp.741-58. Seoul University. Seoul. (in Korean).
- Hamashima C, Sobue T, Muramatsu Y, et al (2006). Comparison of observed and expected numbers of detected cancers in the research center for cancer prevention and screening program. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 36, 301-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyl022
- Hamashima C, Shibuya D, Yamazaki H, et al (2008). The Japanese guidelines for gastric cancer screening. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 38, 259-67. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyn017
- Hamashima C, Ogoshi K, Okamoto M, et al (2013). A community-based, case-control study evaluating mortality reduction from gastric cacner by endoscopic screening in Japan. PLOS One, 8, e79088. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0079088
- Hosokawa O, Miyanaga T, Kaizaki Y, et al (2008). Decreased death from gastric cancer by endoscopic screening:association with a population-based cancer registry. Scand J Gastroenterol, 43, 1112-5. https://doi.org/10.1080/00365520802085395
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (2002). IARC Handbook of Cancer Prevention: Breast Cancer Screening.p.220. IARC press. Lyon.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (2006). European guidelines for quality assurance in cervical cancer screening second edition. p. 74. IARC press. Lyon.
- Kim Y, Jun JK, Choi KS, et al (2011). Overview of the national cancer screening programme and the cancer screening status in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 725-73.
- Lee YC, Chen TH, Chiu HM, et al (2013). The benefit of mass eradication of Helicobacter pylori infection: a communitybased study of gastric cancer prevention. Gut, 62, 676-82. https://doi.org/10.1136/gutjnl-2012-302240
- Lu YF, Liu ZC, Li ZH, et al (2014). Esophageal/gastric cancer screening in high-risk populations in Henan Province, China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1419-22. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1419
- Oshima A (1994). A critical review of cancer screening programs in Japan. Int J Technol Assess Health Care, 10, 346-58. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0266462300006590
- Tashiro A, Sano M, Kinameri K, et al (2006). Comparing mass screening techniques for gastric cancer in Japan. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 4873-4.
- Mortality reduction from gastric cancer by endoscopic and radiographic screening vol.106, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/cas.12829
- Relationship of Amplification and Expression of the C-MYC Gene with Survival among Gastric Cancer Patients vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7061