- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Cigarette Alternatives: Are they Safe?
- Shantakumari, Nisha (Department of Physiology, Gulf Medical University) ;
- Muttappallymyalil, Jayakumary (Department of Community Medicine, Gulf Medical University) ;
- John, Lisha Jenny (Department of Pharmacology, Gulf Medical University) ;
- Sreedharan, Jayadevan (Statistical support facility, CABRI, Gulf Medical University)
- Published : 2015.04.29
In spite of limited data regarding the safety or effectiveness of electronic cigarette introduced into the market as a healthier alternative to tobacco smoking, its popularity has increased enormously. E-cigarettes have penetrated the market rapidly owing to the elaborate marketing network and attractive marketing strategies. Stated advantages include the claim that they help quit smoking and produce less exposure than conventional smoking. The list of disadvantages is even more elaborate. While the majority of the studies supporting health claims and efficacy for quitting smoking are not scientifically sound, they are also challenged by studies providing contradictory results. Owing to the limited evidence on the potential advantages and disadvantages of e-cigarettes, the debate on their safety continues.
E-cigarettes;vapers;smoking cessation;scientific evidence
- Adkison SE., O'Connor RJ, Bansal-Travers M, et al (2013). Electronic nicotine delivery systems international tobacco control four-country survey. Am J Prev Med, 44, 207-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2012.10.018
- Bahl V, Lin S, Xu N, et al (2012). Comparison of electronic cigarette refill fluid cytotoxicity using embryonic and adult models. Reprod Toxicol, 34, 529-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.reprotox.2012.08.001
- Bam TS, Bellew W, Berezhnova I,et al (2014). Position statement on electronic cigarettes or electronic nicotine delivery systems. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis, 18, 5-7 https://doi.org/10.5588/ijtld.13.0815
- Bertholon JF, Becquemin MH, Roy M, et al (2013). Comparison of the aerosol produced by electronic cigarettes with conventional cigarettes and the shisha. Rev Mal Respir, 30, 752-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rmr.2013.03.003
- Bullen C, Howe C, Laugesen M, et al (2014). Electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation: a randomized controlled trial. Lancet, 382, 1629-37.
- Caponnetto P,Campagna D,Cibella F, et al (2013). Efficiency and safety of an electronic cigarette (ECLAT) as tobacco cigarettes substitute: a prospective 12-month randomized control design study. PLoS One, 8, 66317. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0066317
- Chang H (2014). Research gaps related to the environmental impacts of electronic cigarettes. Tob Control, 23, 54-8
- Chen IL (2013). FDA summary of adverse events on electronic cigarettes. Nicotine Tob Res, 15, 615-16. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/nts145
- Crotty Alexander LE, Enany S, Hwang H, et al (2014). Electronic cigarette vapor (ECV) exposure decreases Staphylococcus aureus susceptibility to macrophage and neutrophil killing. Presented at: 2014 American Thoracic Society meeting; May 16-21; San Diego, California. Abstract 57341.
- Dawkins L, Corcoran O (2014). Acute electronic cigarette use: nicotine delivery and subjective effects in regular users. Psychopharmacology (Berl), 231, 401-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00213-013-3249-8
- Etter JF (2010). Electronic cigarettes: a survey of users. BMC Public Health, 10, 231. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-10-231
- Etter JF, Bullen C (2011). Electronic cigarette: users profile, utilization, satisfaction and perceived efficacy. Addiction, 106, 2017-28. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2011.03505.x
- Etter JF, Zather E, Svensson S (2013). Analysis of refill liquids for electronic cigarettes. Addiction, 108, 1671-9 https://doi.org/10.1111/add.12235
- Fairchild AL, Bayer R,Colgrove J (2014). The renormalization of smoking? e-cigarettes and the tobacco "Endgame". N Engl J Med, 370, 293-5 https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1313940
- Farsalinos KE and Polosa R (2014). Safety evaluation and risk assessment of electronic cigarettes as tobacco cigarette substitutes: a systematic review. Ther Adv Drug Saf, 5, 67-86. https://doi.org/10.1177/2042098614524430
- FDA (2000). Guidance for industry and FDA premarket and design control reviewers: medical device usesafety: incorporating human factors engineering into risk management. Washington, DC: U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- Goniewicz ML, Kuma T, Gawron M, et al (2013). Nicotine levels in electronic cigarettes. Nicotine Tob Res, 15, 158-66. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/nts103
- Grana R, Benowitz N, Glantz SA( 2014). E-cigarettes: a scientific review. Circulation, 129, 1972-86. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.114.007667
- Grana RA, Ling PM (2014). Smoking revolution?A content analysis of electronic cigarette retail websites. Am J Prev Med, 46, 395-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2013.12.010
- Kang GS, Gillespie PA, Gunnison A, et al (2011). Long-term inhalation exposure to nickel nanoparticles exacerbated atherosclerosis in a susceptible mouse model. Environ Health Perspect, 119, 176-81.
- Kosmider L, Sobczak A, Fik M, et al (2014). Carbonyl compounds in electronic cigarette vapors-effects of nicotine solvent and battery output voltage Nicotine Tob Res, 16, 1319-26 https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntu078
- Lee S, Grana RA, Glantz SA (2014). Electronic-cigarette use among Korean adolescents: a cross-sectional study of market penetration, dual use, and relationship to quit attempts and former smoking. Adolesc Health, 54, 684-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2013.11.003
- McAuley TR, Hopke PK, Zhao J, Babaian S (2012). Comparison of the effects of e-cigarette vapor and cigarette smoke on indoor air quality. Inhal Toxicol, 24, 850-7. https://doi.org/10.3109/08958378.2012.724728
- McQueen A, Tower S, Summer W (2011). Interviews with "vapers": implications for future research with electronic cigarettes. Nicotine Tob Res, 13, 860-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntr088
- Rooke C, Amos A (2013). News media representations of electronic cigarettes: an analysis of newspaper coverage in the UK and Scotland. Tob Control, 23, 507-12.
- Rose SW, Barker DC, D'Angelo H, et al (2014). The availability of electronic cigarettes in US retail outlets, 2012: results of two national studies. Tob Control, 23, 10-16 https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2013-051461
- Saffari A, Daher N, Ruprecht A, et al (2014). Particulate metals and organic compounds from electronic and tobaccocontaining cigarettes: comparison of emission rates and secondhand exposure, Environ Sci Processes Impacts, 16, 2259-67 https://doi.org/10.1039/C4EM00415A
- Schober W, Szendrei K, Matzen W, et al (2014). Use of electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) impairs indoor air quality and increases FeNO levels of e-cigarette consumers. Int J Hyg Environ Health, 217, 628-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheh.2013.11.003
- Schroeder MJ, Hoffman AC (2014). Electronic cigarettes and nicotine clinical pharmacology. Tob Control, 23, 30-35.
- Song AV, Glantz SA (2015). Assessing tobacco regulation:moving beyond economists. Tob Control, 1-2.
- Vansickel AR, Cobb CO, Weaver MF, Eissenberg TEA (2010). clinical laboratori model for evaluating the acute effects of electronic ''cigarettes'':nicotine delivery profile and cardiovascular and subjective effects. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 19, 1945-53. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-10-0288
- Vansickel AR, Eissenberg T (2013). Electronic cigarettes: Effective nicotine delivery after acute administration. Nicotine Tob Res, 15, 267-70. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntr316
- Vardavas CI, Anagnostopoulos N, Kougias M, et al (2012). Short-term pulmonary effects of using an electronic cigarette: impact on respiratory flow resistance, impedance, and exhaled nitric oxide. Chest, 141, 1400-6 https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.11-2443
- Vickerman KA,Carpenter KM, Altman T et al (2013). Use of electronic cigarettes among state tobacco cessation quitline callers. Nicotine Tob Res, 15, 1787-91. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntt061
- Yang L, Rudy SF, Cheng JM et al (2014). Electronic cigarettes: incorporating human factors engineering into risk assessments. Tob Control, 23, 47-53 https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2013-051479
- E-Cigarette as a Harm Reduction Approach among Tobacco Smoking Khat Chewers: A Promising Bullet of Multiple Gains vol.13, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph13020240