- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Parotid Gland Tumours in Turkish Population: Analysis of 165 Patients
- Derin, Serhan (Department of Otorhinolaryngology, School of Medicine, Mugla Sitki Kocman University) ;
- Erdogan, Selvet (ENT 1 Clinic, Vezirkopru State Hospital) ;
- Almac, Ahmet (Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Medicine Faculty, Kocaeli University) ;
- Ulubil, Arif (Acibadem Fulya Hospital) ;
- Iseri, Mete (Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Medicine Faculty, Kocaeli University) ;
- Aydin, Omer (Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Medicine Faculty, Kocaeli University) ;
- Keskin, I Gurkan (Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Medicine Faculty, Kocaeli University) ;
- Oran, Abdulkadir (ENT Clinic, Manisa State Hospital) ;
- Kuru, Fatma Demir (Izmit Seka State Hospital)
- Published : 2015.04.29
Background: Retrospective data on 165 patients who presented with a parotid mass and underwent surgery in our clinics during 2000-2009 were examined. The obtained data (demographic data, surgical procedures, histopathological diagnoses) were compared to similar studies to make contributions to the literature. Materials and Methods: Patients were classified according to their histopathological diagnosis. Surgical procedures and patient follow-up were clarified. The results are presented as means and standard deviations. Results: Of the 165 masses, 134 (81.3%) were benign and 31 (18.7%) were malignant. Pleomorphic adenoma was the most common benign tumour (79 patients, 59%). Lymphoma and adenoid cystic carcinoma were equally common and were the most common malignant parotid gland tumours (both 6 patients, 19.3%). The most frequent surgical procedure was superficial parotidectomy (92 patients, 55.7%), and the most commonly encountered surgical complication was facial paralysis (12 patients, 7.2%). Conclusions: Our data are generally in line with the literature but lymphoma was more common than in most previous reports. Although the number of cases was low, the high incidence of parotid gland lymphoma was remarkable.
Parotid neoplasms;surgery;postoperative complications
- Casler JD, Conley JJ (1992). Surgical management of adenoid cystic carcinoma in the parotid gland. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 106, 332-8.
- Bussu F, Rigante M, Giglia V, et al (2014). Clinical history, prognostic factors, and management of facial nerve in malignant tumors of the parotid gland. Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol, 7, 126-32. https://doi.org/10.3342/ceo.2014.7.2.126
- Emerick KS, Fabian RL, Deschler DG (2007). Clinical presentation, management, and outcome of high-grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the parotid gland. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 136, 783-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otohns.2006.11.045
- Gunizi H, Guney K (2013). Our surgical approach to parotid masses: an analysis of 130 patients. Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg, 23, 85-9.
- Iqbal H, Bhatti AB, Hussain R, Jamshed A (2014). Ten year experience with surgery and radiation in the management of malignant major salivary gland tumors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2195-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2195
- Ito FA, Ito K,Vargas PA, Almeida OP, Lopes MA (2005). Salivary gland tumors in a Brazilian population: a retrospective study of 496 cases. Int JOralMaxillofac Surg, 34, 533-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijom.2005.02.005
- Jaafari-Ashkavandi Z1, Ashraf MJ, Moshaverinia M (2013). Salivary gland tumors: a clinicopathologic study of 366 cases in southern Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 27-30. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.27
- Kaur J, Goyal S, Muzumder S, et al (2014). Outcome of surgery and post-operative radiotherapy for major salivary gland carcinoma: ten year experience from a single institute. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8259-63. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8259
- Kizil Y, Aydil U, Ekinci O, et al (2013). Salivary gland tumors in Turkey: demographic features and histopathological distribution of 510 patients. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 65, 112-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12070-012-0594-6
- Kowalski LP, Almeida OP, Takahama A (2009). Parotid neoplasms: analysis of 600 patients attended at a single institution. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol, 75, 497-01. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1808-8694(15)30486-9
- Lopes MA, Kowalski LP, da Cunha Santos G (1999). A clinicopathologic study of 196 intraoral minor salivary gland tumours. J Oral Pathol Med, 28, 264-7.
- Przewozny T, Stankiewicz C (2004). Neoplasms of the parotid gland in northern Poland, 1991-2000: an epidemiologic study. Eur Arch Otorhinolaringol, 261, 369-75. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-003-0698-4
- Raut V, Sinnathuray AR, Primrose WJ (2004). Aggressive treatment of metastasis to the parotid. Ulster Med J, 73, 85-8.
- Reilly J, Myssiorek D (2003). Facial nerve stimulation and postparotidectomy facial paresis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 128, 530-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0194-5998(03)00089-5
- Spiro R H (1986). Salivary neoplasms: overview of a 35-year experience with 2,807 patients. Head Neck Surg, 8, 177-84. https://doi.org/10.1002/hed.2890080309
- Spiro RH (1997). Distant metastasis in adenoid cystic carcinoma of salivary origin, Am J Surg, 174, 495-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9610(97)00153-0
- Tewari A, Padma S, Sundaram PS (2013). Detection of atypical metastases in recurrent adenoid cystic carcinoma of parotid gland. J Cancer Res Ther, 9, 148-50. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1482.110374
- Torabinia N, Khalesi S (2014). Clinicopathological study of 229 cases of salivary gland tumors in Isfahan population. Dent Res J, 11, 559-63.
- Umeda M, Nishimatsu N, Masago H et al (1999). Tumordoubling time and onset of pulmonary metastasis from adenoid cystic carcinoma of the salivary gland. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol, 88, 473-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1079-2104(99)70065-X
- Wahlberg P, Anderson H, Biorklund A, Moller T, Perfekt R (2002). Carcinoma of the parotid and submandibular glands - a study of survival in 2465 patients. Oral Oncol, 38, 706-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1368-8375(02)00007-6
- The Role of Real-Time Sonoelastography in the Differentiation of Benign From Malignant Parotid Gland Tumors vol.34, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/RUQ.0000000000000323