- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Influence of Residential Environment and Lifestyle on Multiple Primary Malignancies in Taiwan
- Chang, Chih-Chun (Department of Clinical Pathology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital) ;
- Chung, Yi-Hua (Department of Clinical Pathology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital) ;
- Liou, Ching-Biau (Department of Clinical Pathology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital) ;
- Lee, Yi-Chen (Department of Clinical Pathology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital) ;
- Weng, Wei-Ling (Department of Clinical Pathology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital) ;
- Yu, Yun-Chieh (Department of Clinical Pathology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital) ;
- Yen, Tzung-Hai (Division of Nephrology and Clinical Toxicology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Lin-Kou Medical Center) ;
- Wu, Jiann-Ming (Department of General Surgery, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital)
- Published : 2015.04.29
Background: Multiple primary malignancies (MPM) have become increasingly prevalent worldwide. This investigation was aimed at establishing the clinicopathological characteristics of MPM patients and evaluating the impact of the living environment on MPM in the Taiwanese population. Materials and Methods: From January 2009 to December 2013, a total of 8,268 cancer patients were identified in our institutional center. Of these, 125 were diagnosed as MPM and thus enrolled. Data for clinicopathological features and treatment approaches for these MPM patients living in urban or suburb zone were obtained. Findings for the air pollution status in Taiwan were also collected. Results: The most common cancer match of MPM was esophageal cancer with hypopharyngeal cancer (12.8%), followed by colorectal cancer with gastric cancer (6.4%) and colorectal cancer with breast cancer (5.6%). The air quality was significantly worse in the urban than in the suburban zone and there was a remarkably higher portion of MPM patients in the urban zone suffering from grade III and IV post-chemotherapeutic neutropenia (30.8% vs 15.1%, P=0.036). Conclusions: The tumor frequency and site distribution should be taken into the clinical evaluation because there is a relatively high risk of developing MPM. This study also highlighted the potential influence of environmental factors on post-chemotherapeutic neutropenia for patients with MPM.
Air pollution;lifestyle;multiple primary malignancies;post-chemotherapeutic neutropenia
- E, Tokluoglu S, Yetigyigit T, et al (2013). Multiple primary malignancies - a retrospective analysis at a single center in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 769-73. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.769
- Begg CB, Zhang ZF, Sun M, et al (1995). Methodology for evaluating the incidence of second primary cancers with application to smoking-related cancers from the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) program. Am J Epidemiol, 142, 653-65.
- Bind MA, Baccarelli A, Zanobetti A, et al (2012). Air pollution and markers of coagulation, inflammation, and endothelial function: associations and epigene-environment interactions in an elderly cohort. Epidemiology, 23, 332-40. https://doi.org/10.1097/EDE.0b013e31824523f0
- Brooks PJ, Zakhari S (2013). Moderate alcohol consumption and breast cancer in women: from epidemiology to mechanisms and interventions. Alcohol Clin Exp Res, 37, 23-30. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-0277.2012.01888.x
- Cross AJ, Boca S, Freedman ND, et al (2014). Metabolites of tobacco smoking and colorectal cancer risk. Carcinogenesis, 35, 1516-22. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgu071
- Dales R, Liu L, Wheeler AJ, et al (2008). Quality of indoor residential air and health. CMAJ, 179, 147-52. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.070359
- Demandante CG, Troyer DA, Miles TP (2003). Multiple primary malignant neoplasms: case report and a comprehensive review of the literatüre. Am J Clin Oncol, 26, 79-83. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000421-200302000-00015
- De Pergola G, Silvestris F (2013). Obesity as a major risk factor for cancer. J Obes, 2013, 291546.
- Dockery DW, Pope CA 3rd, Xu X, et al (1993). An association between air pollution and mortality in six U.S. cities. N Engl J Med, 329, 1753-9. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199312093292401
- Grewal P, Viswanathen VA (2012). Liver cancer and alcohol. Clin Liver Dis, 16, 839-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cld.2012.08.011
- Gursel B, Meydan D, Ozbek N, et al (2011). Multiple primary malignant neoplasms from the black sea region of Turkey. J Int Med Res, 39, 667-74. https://doi.org/10.1177/147323001103900237
- Haas SL, Ye W, Lohr JM (2012). Alcohol consumption and digestive tract cancer. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care, 15, 457-67. https://doi.org/10.1097/MCO.0b013e3283566699
- Huang WH, Lin JL, Lin-Tan DT, et al (2013). Impact of living environment on 2-year mortality in elderly maintenance hemodialysis patients. PLoS One, 8, 74358. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0074358
- Jain R, Strickler HD, Fine E, et al (2013). Clinical studies examining the impact of obesity on breast cancer risk and prognosis. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia, 18, 257-66. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10911-013-9307-3
- Jiao F, Yao LJ, Zhou J, et al (2014). Clinical features of multiple primary malignancies: a retrospective analysis of 72 Chinese patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 331-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.331
- Krishna Rao SV, Mejia G, et al (2013). Roberts-Thomson K, Logan R. Epidemiology of oral cancer in Asia in the past decade--an update (2000-2012). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5567-77. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5567
- Luciani A, Ascione G, Marussi D, et al (2009). Clinical analysis of multiple primary malignancies in the elderly. Med Oncol, 26, 27-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-008-9075-x
- Mao WM, Zheng WH, Ling ZQ (2011). Epidemiologic risk factors for esophageal cancer development. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2461-6.
- Marcello MA, Cunha LL, Batista FA, et al (2014). Obesity and thyroid cancer. Endocr Relat Cancer, 21, 255-71. https://doi.org/10.1530/ERC-14-0070
- Mateen FJ, Brook RD (2011). Air pollution as an emerging global risk factor for stroke. JAMA, 305, 1240-1. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2011.352
- McTiernan A, Irwin M, Vongruenigen V (2010). Weight, physical activity, diet, and prognosis in breast and gynecologic cancers. J Clin Oncol, 28, 4074-80. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2010.27.9752
- Park S, Bae J, Nam BH, et al (2008). Aetiology of cancer in Asia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 371-80.
- Rich DQ, Kipen HM, Huang W, et al (2012). Association between changes in air pollution levels during the Beijing Olympics and biomarkers of inflammation and thrombosis in healthy young adults. JAMA, 307, 2068-78.
- Samet JM (2011). The Clean Air Act and health–a clearer view from 2011. N Engl J Med, 365, 198-201. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1103332
- Schmandt RE, Iglesias DA, Co NN, et al (2011). Understanding obesity and endometrial cancer risk: opportunities for prevention. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 205, 518-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2011.05.042
- Stoll P, Silla LM, Cola CM, et al (2013). Effectiveness of a Protective Environment implementation for cancer patients with chemotherapy-induced neutropenia on fever and mortality incidence. Am J Infect Control, 41, 357-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2012.05.018
- Sun LC, Tai YY, Liao SM, et al (2014). Clinical characteristics of second primary cancer in colorectal cancer patients: the impact of colorectal cancer or other second cancer occurring first. World J Surg Oncol, 12, 73. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-12-73
- Takalkar U, Asegaonkar BN, Kodlikeri P, et al (2013). An elderly woman with triple primary metachronous malignancy: A case report and review of literature. Int J Surg Case Rep, 4, 593-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijscr.2013.03.032
- Travis LB, Demark Wahnefried W, et al (2013). Aetiology, genetics and prevention of secondary neoplasms in adult cancer survivors. Nat Rev Clin Oncol, 10, 289-301. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrclinonc.2013.41
- Ueno M, Muto T, Oya M, et al (2003). Multiple primary cancer: an experience at the Cancer Institute Hospital with special reference to colorectal cancer. Int J Clin Oncol, 8, 162-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10147-003-0322-z
- Wood ME, Vogel V, Ng A, et al (2012). Second malignant neoplasms: Assessment and strategies for risk reduction. J Clin Oncol, 30, 3734-45. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2012.41.8681
- Zhu G, Chen Y, Zhu Z, et al (2012). Risk of second primary cancer after treatment for esophageal cancer: a pooled analysis of nine cancer registries. Dis Esophagus, 25, 505-11. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2050.2011.01273.x
- Creatine Kinase (CK)-MB-to-Total-CK Ratio: a Laboratory Indicator for Primary Cancer Screening vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6599
- The Immunotyping Distribution of Serum Monoclonal Paraprotein and Environmental Impact on Multiple Myeloma (MM) and Monoclonal Gammopathy of Uncertain Significance (MGUS) in Taiwan: A Medical Center-Based Experience vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.395
- Polymorphisms of cancer-related genes and risk of multipleprimary malignancies involving colorectal cancer vol.47, pp.13036165, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3906/sag-1612-119