- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Diagnostic Value of Endorectal Ultrasound in Preoperative Assessment of Lymph Node Involvement in Colorectal Cancer: a Meta-analysis
- Li, Li (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Tongji Medical College of Huazhong University of Science and Technology) ;
- Chen, Shi (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Tongji Medical College of Huazhong University of Science and Technology) ;
- Wang, Ke (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Tongji Medical College of Huazhong University of Science and Technology) ;
- Huang, Jiao (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Tongji Medical College of Huazhong University of Science and Technology) ;
- Liu, Li (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Tongji Medical College of Huazhong University of Science and Technology) ;
- Wei, Sheng (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Tongji Medical College of Huazhong University of Science and Technology) ;
- Gao, Hong-Yu (Renal Division, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College of Huazhong University of Science and Technology)
- Published : 2015.04.29
Background: Nodal invasion by colorectal cancer is a critical determinant in estimating patient survival and in choosing appropriate preoperative treatment. The present meta-analysis was designed to evaluate the diagnostic value of endorectal ultrasound (EUS) in preoperative assessment of lymph node involvement in colorectal cancer. Materials and Methods: We systematically searched PubMed, Web of Science, Embase, and China National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI) databases for relevant studies published on or before December 10th, 2014. The sensitivity, specificity, likelihood ratios, diagnostic odds ratio (DOR) and area under the summary receiver operating characteristics curve (AUC) were assessed to estimate the diagnostic value of EUS. Subgroup analysis and meta-regression were performed to explore heterogeneity across studies. Results: Thirty-three studies covering 3,016 subjects were included. The pooled sensitivity and specificity were 0.69 (95%CI: 0.63-0.75) and 0.77 (95%CI: 0.73-0.82), respectively. The positive and negative likelihood ratios were 3.09 (95%CI: 2.52-3.78) and 0.39 (95%CI: 0.32-0.48), respectively. The DOR was 7.84 (95%CI: 5.56-11.08), and AUC was 0.80 (95%CI: 0.77-0.84). Conclusions: This meta-analysis indicated that EUS has moderate diagnostic value in preoperative assessment of lymph node involvement in colorectal cancer. Further refinements in technology and diagnostic criteria are necessary to improve the diagnostic accuracy of EUS.
Endoscopic ultrasound;colorectal cancer;preoperative staging;lymph node;meta-analysis
Supported by : National Science Foundation of China
- Akasu T, Kondo H, Moriya Y, et al (2000). Endorectal ultrasonography and treatment of early stage rectal cancer. World J Surg, 24, 1061-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002680010151
- Abdulkareem FB, Abudu EK, Awolola NA, et al (2008). Colorectal carcinoma in Lagos and Sagamu, Southwest Nigeria: a histopathological review. World J Gastroenterol, 14, 6531-5. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.14.6531
- Akahoshi K, Yoshinaga S, Soejima A, et al (2001). Transit endoscopic ultrasound of colorectal cancer using a 12 MHz catheter probe. Br J Radiol, 74, 1017-22. https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr.74.887.741017
- Akasu T, Sugihara K, Moriya Y, et al (1997). Limitations and pitfalls of transrectal ultrasonography for staging of rectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum, 40, 10-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02062014
- Badger SA, Devlin PB, Neilly PJ, et al (2007). Preoperative staging of rectal carcinoma by endorectal ultrasound: is there a learning curve? Int J Colorectal Dis, 22, 1261-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-007-0273-3
- Beynon J, Mortensen Mc CNJ, Foy DMA, et al (1989). Preoperative assessment of mesorectal lymph node involvement in rectal cancer. Br J Surg, 76, 276-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800760320
- Bipat S, Glas AS, Slors FJ, et al (2004). Rectal cancer: local staging and assessment of lymph node involvement with endoluminal US, CT, and MR imaging--a meta-analysis. Radiology, 232, 773-83. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2323031368
- Blair S, Ellenhorn JD (2000). Transanal excision for low rectal cancers is curative in early-stage disease with favorable histology. Am Surg, 66, 817-20.
- Brenner H, Bouvier AM, Foschi R, et al (2012). Progress in colorectal cancer survival in Europe from the late 1980s to the early 21st century: the EUROCARE study. Int J Cancer, 131, 1649-58. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.26192
- Chen ET, Mohiuddin M, Brodovsky H, et al (1994). Downstaging of advanced rectal cancer following combined preoperative chemotherapy and high dose radiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 30, 169-75.
- Chen W, Zheng R, Zhang S, et al (2013). Report of incidence and mortality in China cancer registries, 2009. Chin J Cancer Res, 25, 10-21.
- Chen WP, Lu ZC , Li DC, et al (2001). Preoperative staging of colorectal carcinoma with ultrasound mini-probe. Chinese Journal of Practical Surgery, 21, 428-9.
- Detry RJ, Kartheuser AH, Lagneaux G, et al (1996). Preoperative lymph node staging in rectal cancer: a difficult challenge. Int J Colorectal Dis, 11, 217-21. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003840050050
- Du P, Duan WM, Jin HQ, et al (2012). Comprehensive evaluation of EUS application value in staging and treatment of colorectal cancer. Chinese digest magazine, 27, 2638-41.
- Fernandez-Esparrach G, Ayuso-Colella JR, Sendino O, et al (2011). EUS and magnetic resonance imaging in the staging of rectal cancer: a prospective and comparative study. Gastrointest Endosc, 74, 347-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gie.2011.03.1257
- Fu HW(2012). A research was conducted to assess the diagnostic value of endosonography in preoperative staging of rectal cancer. Guide of China Medicine, 10, 466-7.
- Glaser F, Kuntz C, Schlag P, et al (1993). Endorectal ultrasound for control of preoperative radiotherapy of rectal cancer. Ann Surg, 217, 64-71. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-199301000-00011
- Haji A, Ryan S, Bjarnason I, et al (2012). Colonoscopic high frequency mini-probe ultrasound is more accurate than conventional computed tomography in the local staging of colonic cancer. Colorectal Dis, 14, 953-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1463-1318.2011.02871.x
- Halefoglu AM, Yildirim S, Avlanmis O, et al (2008). Endorectal ultrasonography versus phased-array magnetic resonance imaging for preoperative staging of rectal cancer. World J Gastroenterol, 14, 3504-10. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.14.3504
- Huh JW, Park YA, Jung EJ, et al (2008). Accuracy of endorectal ultrasonography and computed tomography for restaging rectal cancer after preoperative chemoradiation. J Am College Surg, 207, 7-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2008.01.002
- Hunerbein M, Totkas S, Ghadimi BM, et al (2000). Preoperative evaluation of colorectal neoplasms by colonoscopic miniprobe ultrasonography. Ann Surg, 232, 46-50. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-200007000-00007
- Hurlstone DP, Brown S, Cross SS, et al (2005). Endoscopic ultrasound miniprobe staging of colorectal cancer: can management be modified? Endoscopy, 37, 710-4. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2005-870142
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Xu J, et al (2010). Cancer statistics, 2010. CA Cancer J Clin, 60, 277-300. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20073
- Ju H, Xu D, Li D, et al (2009). Comparison between endoluminal ultrasonography and spiral computerized tomography for the preoperative local staging of rectal carcinoma. Biosci Trends, 3, 73-6.
- Jung KW, Park S, Kong HJ, et al (2010). Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality and survival in 2006-2007. J Korean Med Sci, 25, 1113-21. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2010.25.8.1113
- Jurgensen C, Teubner A, Habeck JO, et al (2011). Staging of rectal cancer by EUS: depth of infiltration in T3 cancers is important. Gastrointest Endosc, 73, 325-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gie.2010.10.026
- Kim JC, Kim HC, Yu CS, et al (2006). Efficacy of 3-dimensional endorectal ultrasonography compared with conventional ultrasonography and computed tomography in preoperative rectal cancer staging. Am J Surg, 192, 89-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2006.01.054
- Knaebel HP, Koch M, Feise T, et al (2005). Diagnostics of rectal cancer: endorectal ultrasound. Rec Results Cancer Res, 165, 46-57. https://doi.org/10.1007/3-540-27449-9_7
- Kulinna C, Scheidler J, Strauss T, et al (2004). Local staging of rectal cancer - Assessment with double-contrast multislice computed tomography and transrectal ultrasound. J Computer Assisted Tomography, 28, 123-30. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004728-200401000-00021
- Kwok H, Bissett IP, Hill GL (2000). Preoperative staging of rectal cancer. Int J Colorectal Dis, 15, 9-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003840050002
- Li JCM, Liu SYW, Lo AWI, et al (2010). The learning curve for endorectal ultrasonography in rectal cancer staging. Surgical Endoscopy Other Interventional Techniques, 24, 3054-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-010-1085-z
- Li JT, Zhao HC, Yao L, et al (2009). The role of endoscopic ultrasound in the preoperative staging of rectal cancer. J China-Japan Friendship Hospital, 233, 157-9.
- Lindmark G, Elvin A, Pahlman L, et al (1992). The value of endosonography in preoperative staging of rectal cancer. Int J Colorectal Dis, 7, 162-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00360359
- Majek O, Gondos A, Jansen L, et al (2012). Survival from colorectal cancer in Germany in the early 21st century. Br J Cancer, 106, 1875-80. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2012.189
- Marone P, de Bellis M, Avallone A, et al (2011). Accuracy of endoscopic ultrasound in staging and restaging patients with locally advanced rectal cancer undergoing neoadjuvant chemoradiation. Clin Res Hepatol Gastroenterol, 35, 666-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinre.2011.05.012
- Mo LR, Tseng LJ, Jao YTFN, et al (2002). Balloon sheath miniprobe compared to conventional EUS in the staging of colorectal cancer. Hepatogastroenterology, 49, 980-3.
- Osti MF, Padovan FS, Pirolli C, et al (1997). Comparison between transrectal ultrasonography and computed tomography with rectal inflation of gas in preoperative staging of lower rectal cancer. Eur Radiol, 7, 26-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003300050102
- Pastor C, Subtil JC, Sola J, et al (2011). Accuracy of endoscopic ultrasound to assess tumor response after neoadjuvant treatment in rectal cancer: can we trust the findings? Dis Colon Rectum, 54, 1141-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/DCR.0b013e31821c4a60
- Puli SR, Bechtold ML, Reddy JB, et al (2009a). How good is endoscopic ultrasound in differentiating various T stages of rectal cancer? Meta-analysis and systematic review. Ann Surg Oncol, 16, 254-65. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-008-0231-5
- Puli SR, Reddy JB, Bechtold ML, et al (2009b). Accuracy of endoscopic ultrasound to diagnose nodal invasion by rectal cancers: a meta-analysis and systematic review. Ann Surg Oncol, 16, 1255-65. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-009-0337-4
- Ramesh H, Bedi MS, Sikora SS (2006). Extent of mesorectal tumor invasion as a prognostic factor after curative surgery for T3 rectal cancer patients. Ann Surg, 244, 835-6.
- Rau B, Hunerbein M, Barth C, et al (1999). Accuracy of endorectal ultrasound after preoperative radiochemotherapy in locally advanced rectal cancer. Surg Endosc, 13, 980-4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004649901151
- Spinelli P, Schiavo M, Meroni E, et al (1999). Results of EUS in detecting perirectal lymph node metastases of rectal cancer: the pathologist makes the difference. Gastrointest Endosc, 49, 754-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-5107(99)70295-6
- Stergiou N, Haji-Kermani N, Schneider C, et al (2003). Staging of colonic neoplasms by colonoscopic miniprobe ultrasonography. Int J Colorectal Dis, 18, 445-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-003-0506-z
- Tio TL, Coene PP, van Delden OM, et al (1991). Colorectal carcinoma: preoperative TNM classification with endosonography. Radiology, 179, 165-70. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.179.1.2006270
- Tokoro T, Okuno K, Hida J, et al (2009). Depth of mesorectal invasion has prognostic significance in T3N0 low rectal cancer. Hepatogastroenterology, 56, 124-7.
- Wang J, Chen DF, Li P, et al (2009). Value of diagnosis and staging for rectal cancer using endoscopy ultrasonography. Chongqing Yixue, 38, 403-4.
- Whiting P, Rutjes AW, Reitsma JB, et al (2003). The development of QUADAS: a tool for the quality assessment of studies of diagnostic accuracy included in systematic reviews. BMC Med Res Methodol, 3, 25. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-3-25
- Yimei J, Ren Z, Lu X, et al (2012). A comparison between the reference values of MRI and EUS and their usefulness to surgeons in rectal cancer. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci, 16, 2069-77.
- Zammit M, Jenkins JT, Urie A, et al (2005). A technically difficult endorectal ultrasound is more likely to be inaccurate. Colorectal Disease, 7, 486-91. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1463-1318.2005.00869.x
- Zhou P, Yao L, He G, et al (2003). Clinical application of ultrasonic probing for preoperative staging of colorectal carcinoma. Asian J Surg, 26, 13-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1015-9584(09)60208-6
- Zhu J, Huang PT, Ding KF, et al (2013). Clinical value of radial endorectal ultrasound in the assessment of preoperative staging of rectal carcinoma. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi, 35, 148-53 (in Chinese).
- Diet and Colorectal Cancer Risk in Asia - a Systematic Review vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5389
- Colorectal Cancer Staging Using Three Clustering Methods Based on Preoperative Clinical Findings vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.823
- Role of ultrasound in colorectal diseases vol.22, pp.43, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v22.i43.9477
- Review article: the investigation and management of rectal neuroendocrine tumours vol.44, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/apt.13697