- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Influence of Morinda citrifolia (Noni) on Expression of DNA Repair Genes in Cervical Cancer Cells
- Gupta, Rakesh Kumar (Department of Biochemistry, All India Institute of Medical Sciences) ;
- Bajpai, Deepti (Department of Biochemistry, All India Institute of Medical Sciences) ;
- Singh, Neeta (Department of Biochemistry, All India Institute of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.04.29
Background: Previous studies have suggested that Morinda citrifolia (Noni) has potential to reduce cancer risk. Objective: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of Noni, cisplatin, and their combination on DNA repair genes in the SiHa cervical cancer cell line. Materials and Methods: SiHa cells were cultured and treated with 10% Noni,
Morinda citrifolia (Noni);DNA repair genes;cervical cancer;SiHa cells
- Gupta R K, Banerjee A, Pathak S, et al (2013). Induction of mitochondrial-mediated apoptosis by Morinda citrifolia (noni) in human cervical cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 237-242. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.237
- Rosa MI, Medeiros LR, Rosa DD, et al (2009). Human papillomavirus and cervical neoplasia. Cad Saude Publica, 25, 953-64.
- Gupta RK, Singh N (2013). Morinda citrifolia (noni) alter oxidative stress marker and antioxidant activity in cervical cancer cell lines. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4603-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4603
- Su YF, Wu TF, Ko JL, et al (2014). The expression of ribonucleotide reductase m2 in the carcinogenesis of uterine cervix and its relationship with clinicopathological characteristics and prognosis of cancer patients. PLoS One, 9, 91644. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0091644
- El-Zein RA, Monroy CM, Cortes A, et al (2010). Rapid methods for determination of DNA repair capacity in human peripheral blood lymphocytes amongst smokers. BMC Cancer, 18, 439.
- Slyskova J, Korenkova V, Collins AR, et al (2012). Functional, genetic, and epigenetic aspects of base and nucleotide excision repair in colorectal carcinomas. Clin Cancer Res, 18, 5878-87. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-12-1380
- Min JH, Pavletich NP (2007). Recognition of DNA damage by the Rad4 nucleotide excision repair protein. Nature. 449, 570-5. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature06155
- Zhi Y, Yu J, Liu Y, et al (2012). Interaction between polymorphisms of DNA repair genes significantly modulated bladder cancer risk. Int J Med Sci, 9, 498-505. https://doi.org/10.7150/ijms.4799
- Mahjabeen I, Ali K, Zhou X, et al (2014). Deregulation of base excision repair gene expression and enhanced proliferation in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Tumour Biol. [Epub ahead of print]
- Yu H, Liu Z, Huang YJ, et al (2012). Association between Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms in ERCC4 and risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. PLoS One, 7, 41853. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0041853
- Bai ZL, Wang YY, Zhe H, et al (2012). ERCC1 mRNA levels can predict the response to cisplatin-based concurrent chemoradiotherapy of locally advanced cervical squamous cell carcinoma. Radiat Oncol, 7, 221. https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-717X-7-221
- Kumar A, Pant MC, Singh HS, et al (2012). Reduced expression of DNA repair genes (XRCC1, XPD, and OGG1) in squamous cell carcinoma of head and neck in North India. Tumor Biol, 33, 111-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-011-0253-7
- Bajpai D, Banerjee A, Pathak S, et al (2013). Decreased expressions of DNA repair genes (XRCC1, ERCC1, ERCC2, and ERCC4) in squamous intraepithelial lesion and invasive squamous cell carcinoma of the cervix. Mol Cell Biochem, 377, 45-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11010-013-1569-y
- Wang MY, Nowicki D, Anderson G, et al (2008). Liver protective effects of morinda citrifolia (noni). Plant Foods Hum Nutr, 63, 59-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11130-008-0070-3
- Wang MY, Lutfiyya MN, Weidenbacher-Hoper V, et al (2009). Antioxidant activity of noni juice in heavy smokers. Chem Cent J, 3, 13. https://doi.org/10.1186/1752-153X-3-13
- Westendorf J, Effenberger K, Iznaguen H, et al (2007). Toxicological and analytical investigations of Noni (Morinda citrifolia) fruit juice. J Agric Food Chem, 55, 529-37. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf062130i
- Clafshenkel WP, King TL, Kotlarczyk MP, et al (2012). Morinda citrifolia (Noni) juice augments mammary gland differentiation and reduces mammary tumor growth in mice expressing the unactivated c-erbB2 Transgene. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, 2012, 487423.
- Li Y, Liu F, Tan SQ, et al (2012). X-Ray repair crosscomplementing group 1 (XRCC1) genetic polymorphisms and cervical cancer risk: a huge systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One, 7, 44441. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0044441
- Wei Q, Wang LE, Sturgis EM, et al (2005). Expression of nucleotide excision repair proteins in lymphocytes as a marker of susceptibility to squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14, 1961-66. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-05-0101
- Bergs JW, Haveman J, Ten Cate R, et al (2007). Effect of 41 degrees C and 43 degrees C on cisplatin radiosensitization in two human carcinoma cell lines with different sensitivities for cisplatin. Oncol Rep, 18, 219-26.
- Tanida S, Mizoshita T, Ozeki K, et al (2012). Mechanisms of cisplatin-induced apoptosis and of cisplatin sensitivity:potential of bin1 to act as a potent predictor of cisplatin sensitivity in gastric cancer treatment. Int J Surg Oncol, 2012, 862879.
- Rabik CA, Dolan ME (2007). Molecular mechanisms of resistance and toxicity associated with platinating agents. Cancer Treat Rev, 33, 9-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2006.09.006
- Ni M, Zhang WZ, Qiu JR, et al (2014). Association of ERCC1 and ERCC2 polymorphisms with colorectal cancer risk in a Chinese population. Sci Rep, 4, 4112.
- Olaussen KA, Mountzios G, Soria JC (2007). ERCC1 as a risk stratifier in platinum-based chemotherapy for nonsmall-cell lung cancer. Curr Opin Pulm Med, 13, 284-289. https://doi.org/10.1097/MCP.0b013e32816b5c63
- Bellmunt J, Paz-Ares L, Cuello M, et al (2007). Gene expression of ERCC1 as a novel prognostic marker in advanced bladder cancer patients receiving cisplatin-based chemotherapy. Ann Oncol, 18, 522-8.
- Guarrera S, Sacerdote C, Fiorini L, et al (2007). Expression of DNA repair and metabolic genes in response to a flavonoidrich diet. Br J Nutr, 98, 525-533. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114507725151
- Choi DY, Lee YJ, Hong JT, et al (2012). Antioxidant properties of natural polyphenols and their therapeutic potentials for Alzheimer's disease. Brain Res Bull, 87, 144-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brainresbull.2011.11.014
- Astley SB, Elliott RM, Archer DB, et al (2004). Evidence that dietary supplementation with carotenoids and carotenoidrich foods modulate the DNA damage: repair balance in human lymphocytes. Br J Nutr, 91, 63-72. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN20031001
- Katiyar SK (2011). Green tea prevents non-melanoma skin cancer by enhancing DNA repair. Arch Biochem Biophys, 508, 152-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.abb.2010.11.015
- Moller P, Vogel U, Pedersen A, et al (2003). No effect of 600 grams fruit and vegetables per day on oxidative DNA damage and repair in healthy nonsmokers. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 12, 1016-22.