- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Clinical Application of Serum Tumor Abnormal Protein (TAP) in Colorectal Cancer Patients
- Wu, Xue-Yan (Department of Chemotherapy, the Affiliated Jiangsu Cancer Hospital of Nanjing Medical University and Jiangsu Institute of Cancer Research) ;
- Huang, Xin-En (Department of Research, the Affiliated Jiangsu Cancer Hospital of Nanjing Medical University and Jiangsu Institute of Cancer Research)
- Published : 2015.04.29
Objective: To explore the association of serum tumor abnormal protein (TAP) with other serological biomarkers e.g. carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA), carbohydrate antigen 125 (CA125), carbohydrate antigen 19-9 (CA19-9) and its clinical application in colorectal cancer (CRC) patients. Methods: Patients (N=98) were enrolled into this study with histologically or cytologically confirmed CRC. Using a test kit, the level of TAP was determined, while chemiluminescence was used to measure the levels of some other common serological biomarkers e.g. CEA, CA125 and CA19-9. Results: The area of TAP condensed particulate matter decreased after chemotherapy compared with before chemotherapy when CT or MRI scans showed disease control. In contrast, it increased with disease progression (P<0.05). Furthermore, a statistically significant difference was confirmed in monitoring of TAP and common serological biomarkers e.g. CEA and CA19-9 (p<0.05). Conclusions: Detecting TAP in CRC patients has high sensitivity and specificity and can be used as a new independent indicator for clinically monitoring CRC patients in the course of chemotherapy.
Tumor abnormal protein (TAP);serological biomarkers;colorectal cancer (CRC)
- Bast RC Jr, Klug TL, St John E, et al (1983). A radioimmunoassay using a monoclonal antibody to monitor the course of epithelial ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med, 309, 883-7. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198310133091503
- Brenner H, Kloor M, Pox CP (2014). Colorectal cancer. Lancet, 383, 1490-502. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)61649-9
- Chen X, Ba Y, Ma L, et al (2008). Characterization of microRNAs in serum: a novel class of biomarkers for diagnosis of cancer and other diseases. Cell Res, 18, 997-1006. https://doi.org/10.1038/cr.2008.282
- Coghlin C, Murray GI (2013). Progress in the identification of plasma biomarkers of colorectal cancer. Proteomics, 13, 2227-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmic.201300245
- Eleftheriadis N, Papaloukas C, Pistevou-Gompaki K (2009). Diagnostic value of serum tumor markers in asymptomatic individuals. J Buon, 14, 707-10.
- Elmunzer BJ, Hayward RA, Schoenfeld PS, et al (2012). Effect of flexible sigmoidoscopy-based screening on incidence and mortality of colorectal cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. PLoS Med, 9, e1001352. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1001352
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al ( 2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Filella X, Molina R, Grau JJ, et al (1992). Prognostic value of CA 19-9 levels in colorectal cancer. Ann Surg, 216, 55-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-199207000-00008
- Gehan EA, Tefft MC (2000). Will there be resistance to the RECIST (Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors)? J Natl Cancer Inst, 92, 179-81. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/92.3.179
- Goldberg EM, Simunovic LM, Drake SL, et al (1989). Comparison of serum ca 19-9 and cea levels in a population at high risk for colorectal cancer. Hybridoma, 8, 569-75. https://doi.org/10.1089/hyb.1989.8.569
- Grutzmann R, Molnar B, Pilarsky C, et al (2008). Sensitive detection of colorectal cancer in peripheral blood by septin 9 DNA methylation assay. PLoS One, 3, e3759. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0003759
- Hewitson P, Glasziou P, Watson E, Towler B, Irwig L (2008). Cochrane systematic review of colorectal cancer screening using the fecal occult blood test (hemoccult): an update. Am J Gastroenterol, 103, 1541-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2008.01875.x
- Huang XE, Cao J, Qian ZY, et al (2014). Leucogen tablets at 60 mg three times per day are safe and effective to control febrile neutropenia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8495-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8495
- Huang Z, Huang D, Ni S, Peng Z, Sheng W, Du X (2010). Plasma microRNAs are promising novel biomarkers for early detection of colorectal cancer. Int J Cancer, 127, 118-26. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25007
- Jemal A, Bray F, CenterMMet al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Ji ZQ, Huang XE, Wu XY, et al (2014). Safety of Brucea javanica and cantharidin combined with chemotherapy for treatment of NSCLC patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8603-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.20.8603
- Kim HJ, Yu MH, Kim H, Byun J, Lee C (2008). Noninvasive molecular biomarkers for the detection of colorectal cancer. BMB Rep, 41, 685-92. https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2008.41.10.685
- Lee BB, Lee EJ, Jung EH, et al (2009). Aberrant methylation of APC, MGMT, RASSF2A, and Wif1 genes in plasma as a biomarker for early detection of colorectal cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 15, 6185-91. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-09-0111
- Li YH, An X, Xiang XJ (2009). Clinical significance of a transient increase in carcinoembryonic antigen and carbohydrate antigen 19-9 in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer receiving chemotherapy [in Chinese]. Ai Zheng, 28, 939-44.
- Liu J, Huang XE (2014). Efficacy of Bifidobacterium tetragenous viable bacteria tablets for cancer patients with functional constipation. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10241-4.
- Lu YY, Huang XE, et al (2014). Clinical observations on associations between the UGT1A1 genotype and severe toxicity of irinotecan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3335-41. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3335
- Luo Y, Wang L, Wang J (2013). Developing proteomicsbased biomarkers for colorectal neoplasms for clinical practice:opportunities and challenges. Proteomics Clin Appl, 7, 30-41. https://doi.org/10.1002/prca.201200071
- Martínez-Aguilar J, Chik J, Nicholson J, et al (2013). Quantitative mass spectrometry for colorectal cancer proteomics. Proteomics Clin Appl, 7, 42-54. https://doi.org/10.1002/prca.201200080
- McKeown E, Nelson DW, Johnson EK, et al (2014). Current approaches and challenges for monitoring treatment response in colon and rectal cancer. J Cancer, 5, 31-43 https://doi.org/10.7150/jca.7987
- Migliore L, Migheli F, Spisni R, Coppede F (2011). Genetics, cytogenetics, and epigenetics of colorectal cancer. J Biomed Biotechnol, 2011, 792362.
- Newton KF, Newman W, Hill J (2012). Review of biomarkers in colorectal cancer. Colorectal Dis, 14, 3-17.
- Perkins GL, Slater ED, Sanders GK, et al (2003). Serum tumor markers. Am Fam Physician, 68, 1075-82.
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A (2012). Cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin, 62, 10-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20138
- Sorbye H, Dahl O (2004). Transient CEA increase at start of oxaliplatin combination therapy for metastatic colorectal cancer. Acta Oncol, 43, 495-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/02841860410032380
- Tian GY, Miu M, Huang XE (2014). Systematic analysis of pemetrexed-based chemoradiotherapy for patients with locally advanced or metastatic esophageal cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8475-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8475
- Wang L, Huang XE (2015). Clinical study on safety and efficacy of JiSaiXin (recombinant human granulocyte colony stimulating factor injection manufactured in China) for Chinese undergoing chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16 299-301. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.299
- Winawer S, Fletcher R, Rex D, et al (2003). Colorectal cancer screening and surveillance: clinical guidelines and rationale-Update based on new evidence. Gastroenterology, 124, 544-60. https://doi.org/10.1053/gast.2003.50044
- Wu XY, Huang XE (2015). Screening for patients with non-small cell lung cancer who could survive long term chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 647-52. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.647
- Wu XY, Huang XE, et al (2014). A predictive model for evaluating responsiveness to pemetrexed treatment in patients with advanced colorectal cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5941-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5941
- Xu D, Li XF, Zheng S, Jiang WZ (2006). Quantitative real-time RTPCR detection for CEA, CK20 and CK19 mRNA in peripheral blood of colorectal cancer patients. J Zhejiang Univ Sci, B7, 445-51.
- Yang L, Sun Y, Huang XE, Yu DS, et al (2015). Carcinoma Microsatellite Instability Status as a Predictor of Benefit from Fluorouracil-Based Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Stage II Rectal Cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 1545-51. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1545
- Zieglschmid V, Hollmann C, Bocher O (2005). Detection of disseminated tumor cells in peripheral blood. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci, 42, 155-96. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408360590913696
- Diet and Colorectal Cancer Risk in Asia - a Systematic Review vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5389
- Safety and Efficacy of a Mouth-Rinse with Granulocyte Colony Stimulating Factor in Patients with Chemotherapy-Induced Oral Mucositis vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.413
- A Clinical Study on Juheli (Recombinant Human Interleukin - 11) in the Second Prevention of Chemotherapy Induced Thrombocytopenia vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.485
- Prognostic value of serum tumor abnormal protein in gastric cancer patients vol.5, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2016.877