- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Oral Cancer Awareness of the General Public in Saudi Arabia
- Al-Maweri, Sadeq Ali (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, Al-Farabi Colleges of Dentistry and Nursing) ;
- Tarakji, Bassel (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, Al-Farabi Colleges of Dentistry and Nursing) ;
- Alsalhani, Anas B (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, Al-Farabi Colleges of Dentistry and Nursing) ;
- Al-Shamiri, Hashem M (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, Al-Farabi Colleges of Dentistry and Nursing) ;
- Alaizari, Nader Ahmed (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, Al-Farabi Colleges of Dentistry and Nursing) ;
- Altamimi, Mohammad Al Sakran (Department of Restorative Dentistry, Al-Farabi Colleges of Dentistry and Nursing) ;
- Darwish, Shourouk (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, Al-Farabi Colleges of Dentistry and Nursing)
- Published : 2015.04.29
Background: The aim of this study was to assess the level of awareness and knowledge about signs and risk factors of oral cancer in the general population in Saudi Arabia. Materials and Methods: A self-administered questionnaire was used to collect information from Saudi adults aged 15 years and older. A total of 679 persons participated in the survey. Descriptive statistics were calculated and chi-square tests, t-tests, and one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) were used to examine differences between groups. The significance level was set at p<0.05. Results: Only 53.6% of the participants had heard of oral cancer. Smoking and alcohol consumption were identified as the major risk factors by 81.7% and 56.3% of the participants, respectively. Only 22.2% and 18.2%, respectively, were able to correctly identify red and white lesions as early signs of oral cancer. Participants with less than high school education were significantly less aware, and had much less knowledge, of the signs and risk factors of oral cancer (p<0.05). Conclusions: This survey demonstrates a general lack of awareness among the public about oral cancer and a lack of knowledge about its signs and risk factors. There is a clear need to inform and educate the public in matters relating to the known risk factors associated with oral cancer. A media campaign informing the public about oral cancer is clearly required.
Oral cancer;knowledge;public;Saudi Arabia
- Agrawal M, Pandey S, Jain S, et al (2012). Oral cancer awareness of the general public in Gorakhpur city, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5195-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.5195
- Al Dubai SA, Ganasegeran K, Alabsi AM, et al (2012). Awareness and knowledge of oral cancer among university students in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 165-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.165
- Alaizari NA, Al-Maweri SA (2014). Oral cancer: knowledge, practices and opinions of dentists in Yemen. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5627-31. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5627
- Al-Attas SA, Ibrahim SS, Amer HA, et al (2014). Prevalence of potentially malignant oral mucosal lesions among tobacco users in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 757-62. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.757
- Al-Haqwi AI, Tamim H, Asery A (2010). Knowledge, attitude and practice of tobacco smoking by medical students in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Ann Thorac Med, 5, 145-8. https://doi.org/10.4103/1817-1737.65044
- Al-Maweri SA, Addas A, Tarakji B, et al (2014). Public awareness and knowledge of oral cancer in Yemen. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10861-5.
- Amarasinghe HK, Usgodaarachchi US, Johnson NW, et al (2010). Public awareness of oral cancer, of oral potentially malignant disorders and of their risk factors in some rural populations in Sri Lanka. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, 38, 540-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2010.00566.x
- Ariyawardana A, Vithanaarachchi N (2005). Awareness of oral cancer and precancer among patients attending a hospital in Sri Lanka. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 58-61.
- Bross ID, Coombs J (1976). Early onset of oral cancer among women who drink and smoke. Oncol, 33, 136-9. https://doi.org/10.1159/000225127
- Devadiga A, Prasad KV (2010). Knowledge about oral cancer in adults attending a Dental Hospital in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1609-13.
- Elango JK, Sundaram KR, Gangadharan P, et al (2009). Factors affecting oral cancer awareness in a high-risk population in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 627-30.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Franceschi S, Barra S, La Vecchia C, et al (1992). Risk factors for cancer of the tongue and the mouth. A case-control study from northern Italy. Cancer, 70, 2227-33. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19921101)70:9<2227::AID-CNCR2820700902>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Ghani WM, Doss JG, Jamaluddin M, et al (2013). Oral cancer awareness and its determinants among a selected Malaysian population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1957-63. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1957
- Halawany HS, Jacob V, Abraham NB, et al (2013). Oral cancer awareness and perception of tobacco use cessation counseling among dental students in four Asian countries. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3619-23. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3619
- Hassona Y, Scully C, Abu Ghosh M, et al (2015). Mouth cancer awareness and beliefs among dental patients. Int Dent J, 65, 15-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/idj.12140
- Hollows P, McAndrew PG, Perini MG (2000). Delays in the referral and treatment of oral squamous cell carcinoma. Br Dent J, 188, 262-5.
- Horowitz AM, Nourjah P, Gift HC (1995). U.S. adult knowledge of risk factors and signs of oral cancers: 1990. J Am Dent Assoc, 126, 39-45. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1995.0022
- Jemal A, Murray T, Ward E, et al (2005). Cancer statistics, 2005. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 10-30. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.1.10
- Krishna Rao SV, Mejia G, Roberts-Thomson K, et al (2013). Epidemiology of oral cancer in Asia in the past decade--an update (2000-2012). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5567-77. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5567
- Kujan O, Alzoghaibi I, Azzeghaiby S, et al (2014). Knowledge and attitudes of Saudi dental undergraduates on oral cancer. J Cancer Educ, 29, 735-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-014-0647-5
- La Vecchia C, Lucchini F, Negri E, et al (2004). Trends in oral cancer mortality in Europe. Oral Oncol, 40, 433-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2003.09.013
- Lin WJ, Jiang RS, Wu SH, et al (2011). Smoking, alcohol, and betel quid and oral cancer: a prospective cohort study. J Oncol, 2011, 525976.
- Llewellyn CD, Johnson NW, Warnakulasuriya KA (2004). Risk factors for oral cancer in newly diagnosed patients aged 45 years and younger: a case-control study in Southern England. J Oral Pathol Med, 33, 525-32. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2004.00222.x
- Lohavanichbutr P, Houck J, Fan W, et al (2009). Genomewide gene expression profiles of HPV-positive and HPV-negative oropharyngeal cancer: potential implications for treatment choices. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 135, 180-8. https://doi.org/10.1001/archoto.2008.540
- Macleod U, Mitchell ED, Burgess C, et al (2009). Risk factors for delayed presentation and referral of symptomatic cancer: evidence for common cancers. Br J Cancer, 101, 92-101. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605398
- Mashberg A, Boffetta P, Winkelman R, et al (1993). Tobacco smoking, alcohol drinking, and cancer of the oral cavity and oropharynx among U.S. veterans. Cancer, 72, 1369-75. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19930815)72:4<1369::AID-CNCR2820720436>3.0.CO;2-L
- Pakfetrat A, Falaki F, Esmaily HO, et al (2010). Oral cancer knowledge among patients referred to Mashhad Dental School, Iran. Arch Iran Med, 13, 543-8.
- Park JH, Slack-Smith L, Smith A, et al (2011). Knowledge and perceptions regarding oral and pharyngeal carcinoma among adult dental patients. Aust Dent J, 56, 284-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1834-7819.2011.01342.x
- Peker I, Alkurt MT (2010). Public awareness level of oral cancer in a group of dental patients. J Contemp Dent Pract, 11, 49-56.
- Quadri MF, Saleh SM, Alsanosy R, et al (2014). Effectiveness of an intervention program on knowledge of oral cancer among the youth of Jazan, Saudi Arabia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1913-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.1913
- Saleh A, Yang YH, Wan Abd Ghani WM, et al (2012). Promoting oral cancer awareness and early detection using a mass media approach. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1217-24. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1217
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A (2012). Cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin, 62, 10-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20138
- Tadbir AA, Ebrahimi H, Pourshahidi S, et al (2013). Evaluation of levels of knowledge about etiology and symptoms of oral cancer in southern Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2217-20. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2217
- Tomar SL, Logan HL (2005). Florida adults' oral cancer knowledge and examination experiences. J Public Health Dent, 65, 221-30. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2005.tb03022.x
- Warnakulasuriya KA, Harris CK, Scarrott DM, et al (1999). An alarming lack of public awareness towards oral cancer. Br Dent J, 187, 319-22.
- Warnakulasuriya S (2009). Global epidemiology of oral and oropharyngeal cancer. Oral Oncol, 45, 309-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2008.06.002
- Oral Cancer: Awareness and Knowledge Among Dental Patients in Riyadh vol.32, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-015-0924-y
- Population Survey of Knowledge about Oral Cancer and Related Factors in the Capital of Iran pp.1543-0154, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-017-1275-7
- Disparities in Oral Cancer Awareness: a Population Survey in Tehran, Iran pp.1543-0154, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-018-1337-5
- Knowledge and awareness of oral cancer and impact of pictorial warnings on the willingness to quit tobacco in young tobacco consumers in India vol.0, pp.0, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1515/ijamh-2018-0185