- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Impact of Smoking Cessation Training for Community Pharmacists in Indonesia
- Kristina, Susi Ari (Department of Management and Community Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Gadjah Mada University) ;
- Thavorncharoensap, Montarat (Social and Administrative Pharmacy Excellence Research Unit, Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University) ;
- Pongcharoensuk, Petcharat (Social and Administrative Pharmacy Excellence Research Unit, Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University) ;
- Prabandari, Yayi Suryo (Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Gadjah Mada University)
- Published : 2015.04.29
Background: Community pharmacists play an important role in tobacco control and adequate training on smoking cessation is essential. Materials and Methods: A quasi-experimental pre-test/post-test design was used. A one-day workshop on smoking cessation organized by Indonesian Pharmacists Association as part of PCE program was offered to 133 community pharmacists. The workshop consisted of a 3-hour lecture and a 3-hour role-play session. Pre-training and post-training surveys assessed the impact of training on parameters including knowledge, perceived role and self-efficacy with respect to smoking cessation counseling practices. Intention and ability to perform counseling using the 5A framework was assessed after training only. Results: After PCE, knowledge score significantly increased from
Continuing education;counseling;Indonesian pharmacists;smoking cessation
- Beaglehole R, Bonita R, Horton R ea (2011). Priority actions for the non-communicable disease crisis. Lancet, 377, 1438-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(11)60393-0
- Binnal A, Rajesth G, Denny C, et al (2012). Insights into the tobacco cessation scenario among dental graduates: an Indian perspective. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2611-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2611
- Brewster J, Ashley M, Laurier C, et al (2005). On the front line of smoking cesssation: Education needs of community pharmacists. Can Pharm J, 138, 26-31.
- Dent LA, Harris KJ, Noonan CW (2007). Tobacco interventions delivered by pharmacists: A summary and systematic review. Pharmacotherapy, 27, 1040-51. https://doi.org/10.1592/phco.27.7.1040
- El Hajj MS, Al Nakeeb RR, Al-Qudah RA (2012). Smoking cessation counseling in Qatar: community pharmacists' attitudes, role perceptions and practices. Int J Clin Pharm, 34, 667-76. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11096-012-9663-x
- Ficarra MG, Gualano MR, Capizzi S, et al (2010). Tobacco use prevalence, knowledge and attitudes among Italian hospital healthcare professionals. Eur J Public Health, 1-6.
- Goniewicz ML, Lingas EO, Czogala J, et al (2010). The role of pharmacists in smoking cessation in Poland. Eval Health Prof, 33, 81-95. https://doi.org/10.1177/0163278709356190
- Hudmon KS, Corelli KL (2009). ASHP therapeutic position statement on the cessation of tobacco use. Am J Health-Syst Pharm, 66, 291-307. https://doi.org/10.2146/ajhp070303
- Kimman M, Norman R, Jan S, et al (2012). The burden of cancer in member countries of the Association of South East Asian Nation (ASEAN). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 411-20. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.2.411
- Kristina SA, Thavorncharoensap M, Pongcharoensuk P, et al (2014). Effectiveness of tobacco education for pharmacy students in Indonesia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10783-6.
- Martin BA, Burkiewitz RH, Chewning BA (2010). Effect of a tobacco cessation continuing professional education program on pharmacists' confidence, skills, and practice-change behaviors. Am J Pharm Assoc, 50, 9-16. https://doi.org/10.1331/JAPhA.2010.09034
- Oberoi SS, Sharma G, Nagpal A, et al (2014). Tobacco cessation in India: how can oral health professionals contribute. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2383-91. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2383
- Paek Y, Lee S, Kim Y, et al (2014). Effect on smoking quit rate of telling smokers their health risk appraisal in terms of health age: a randomized control trial. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4963-68. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4963
- Panda R, Persai D, Mathur M, et al (2013). Perception and practices of physicians in addressing the smokeless tobacco epidemic: Findings from two states in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7237-41. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7237
- Rao SVK, Mejia G, Roberts-Thomson K, et al (2013). Epidemiology of oral cancer in Asia in the past decade- An update (2000-2012). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5567-77. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5567
- Saba M, Diep J, Bittoun R, et al (2014a). Provision of smoking cessation services in Australian community pharmacies: a simulated patient study. Int J Clin Pharm, 36, 604-14. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11096-014-9944-7
- Saba M, Diep J, Saini B, et al (2014b). Meta-analysis of the effectiveness of smoking cessation interventions in community pharmacy. J Clin Pharm and Ther, 1-8.
- Schindel TJ, Kehrer JP, Yuksel N, et al (2012). University-based continuing education for pharmacists. Am J Pharm Educ, 76.
- Shelley D, Cantrell J (2010). The effect of linking community health centers to a state-level smoker's quitline on rates of cessation assistance. BMC Health Serv Res, 10, 25. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-10-25
- Tong EK, Strouse R, Hall J, et al (2010). National survey of U.S. health professionals' smoking prevalence, cessation practices, and beliefs. Nicotine Tob Res, 12, 724-33. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntq071
- Wong KY, Seow A, Koh WP, et al (2010). Smoking cessation and lung cancer risks in an Asian population: findings from the Singapore Chinese Health Study. Br J Cancer, 103, 1093-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605782
Zheng W, McLerran DF, Rolland BA, et al (2014). Burden of total and cause-specific mortality related to tobacco smoking among adults aged
$\geq$45 years in Asia: A pooled analysis of 21 cohorts. Plos Medicine, 11.
- How is Indonesia coping with its epidemic of chronic noncommunicable diseases? A systematic review with meta-analysis vol.12, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0179186