- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Caregiver Burden and Perceived Social Support among Caregivers of Patients with Cancer
- Kahriman, Fatma (Ataturk Training and Research Hospital, Izmir Katip Celebi University) ;
- Zaybak, Ayten (Faculty of Nursing, Ege University)
- Published : 2015.04.29
The purpose of this study is to describe the relationship between caregiver burden and perceived social support among caregivers of patients with cancer. The research was conducted in a university hospital in
Caregiver;caregiver burden;perceived social support;cancer
- Akgul N, Ozdemir L (2014). Caregiver burden among primary caregivers of patients undergoing peripheral blood stem cell transplantation: a cross sectional study. Eur J Oncol Nurs, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2494852418,372-7.
- Ardahan M (2006). Social support and the nursing. J Ataturk University School of Nursing. 9, 68-75 (in Turkish).
- Atagun MI, Balaban OD, Atagun Z, et al (2001). Caregiver burden in chronic diseases. Current Approaches Psychiatry, 3, 513-52 (in Turkish).
- Barber FD (2013). Effects of social support on physical activity, self-efficacy, and quality of life in adult cancer survivors and their caregivers oncology. Nursing Forum, 40, 481-9.
- Cameron IJ, France LR, Cheung MA. Stewart, ED (2002). Life style interference and emotional distress in family caregivers of advanced cancer patients. Cancer, 94, 521-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.10212
- Chiou CJ, Chang HY, Chen P, Wong HH (2009). Social support and caregiving circumstances as predictors of caregiver burden in Taiwan. Arch Gerontol Geriat, 48, 419-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2008.04.001
- Cooper DL, Powe BD, Smith T (2013). Social support provided by and strain experienced by African-American cancer caregivers. Support Care Cancer, 21, 2719-25. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-013-1849-9
- Dökmen ZY (2012). The relations between mental health and perceived social support of family caregivers. Ankara University J Institute Health Sci, 3, 3-37 (in Turkish).
- Edwards NE, Scheetz PS (2002). Predictors of burden for caregivers of patients with parkinson's disease. J Neurosci Nurs, 34, 184-90. https://doi.org/10.1097/01376517-200208000-00003
- Eker D, Arkar H, Yaldiz H (2001). Reliability of revised form of the multidimensional scale of perceived social support. Turkish J Psychiatry, 12, 17-25 (in Turkish).
- Eser AK, Beduk, T (2014). The level of perceived social support and care burden of among family caregivers of patients with cancer. 5. Turkish Medical Oncology Congress Book. 582 (in Turkish).
- Goldstein NE, Concato J, Fried TR et al (2004). Factors associated with caregiver burden among caregivers of terminally ill patients with cancer. J Palliat Care, 20, 38-43.
- Grov EK, Fossa SD, Sorebo O, Dahl AA (2006). Primary caregivers of cancer patients in the palliative phase: a path analysis of variables influencing their burden. Soc Sci Med, 63, 2429-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2006.06.008
- Inci FH, Erdem M (2008). Validity and reliability of the burden interview and its adaptation to Turkish. J Ataturk University School Nurs, 11, 85-97 (in Turkish).
- Kuscu MK, Dural U, Onen P (2009). The association between individuals attachment patterns, the perceived social support and the psychological wellbeing of Turkish informal caregiver. Psycho-Oncology, 18, 927-35. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1441
- Kutluturkan S, Bay F, SOzeri E, Durdu RS (2012). Social support perceived by caregivers of cancer patients. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 16, 36.
- Morimoto T, Schreiner AS, Asano H (2003). Caregiver burden and health-related quality of life among Japanese stroke caregivers. Age Ageing, 32, 218-23. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/32.2.218
- Oksuz E, Baris N, Arslan F, Ates MA (2013). Psychiatric symptom levels and burden care of caregivers of patients receiving chemotherapy. Anatolian J Clin Investigation, 7, 24-30 (in Turkish).
- Ozdemir FK, Sahin AZ, Kucuk D (2009). The determining of the caregiver burden of the mothers with a child with cancer. New J Medicine, 26, 153-8 (in Turkish).
- Sahin ZA, Tan M. (2012). Loneliness, depression, and social support of patients with cancer and their caregivers. Clin J Oncol Nurs, 16, 145-9. https://doi.org/10.1188/12.CJON.145-149
- Silver JH, Wellman N (2002). Family caregiver training is needed to improve outcomes for older adults using home care technologies. J Am Diet Assoc, 102, 831-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(02)90185-9
- Terakye G (2011). Interaction with the patient and his relatives. Dokuz Eylul Universitesi Hemsirelik Fakultesi Elektronik Dergisi, 4, 78-82 (in Turkish).
- Turkoglu N, Kilic D (2012). Effects of care burdens of caregivers of cancer patients on their quality of life. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4141-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.4141
- Yakar HK, Pinar R (2013) Reliability and validity of Turkish version of the caregiver quality of life index cancer scale. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4415-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4415
- Yildirim S, Engin E, Baskaya VA (2013). The burden of caregivers of stroke patients and the factors affecting the burden. Arch Neuropsychiatry, 50, 169-74 (in Turkish). https://doi.org/10.4274/npa.y6505
- Zarit SH, Reever KE, Bach-Peterson J (1980). Relatives of the impaired elderly: correlated of feelings of burden. Gerontologist, 20, 649-655. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/20.6.649
- Zarit SH, Zarit JM (1990) The memory and behavior problems checklist and the Burden Interview. university park, PA: pennsylvania state university gerontology center.
- Zaybak A, Gunes U, Ismailoglu EG, Ulker E (2012). The determination of burden care of caregivers for bedridden patients. J Anatolia Nurs Health Sci, 15, 48-54 (in Turkish).
- Quality of life discordance between terminal cancer patients and family caregivers: a multicenter study pp.1433-7339, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-016-3108-3
- The predictive factors for perceived social support among cancer patients and caregiver burden of their family caregivers in Turkish population pp.1471-1788, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/13651501.2017.1358370
- Acquisition of Social Support and Linguistic Characteristics of Social Media Posts About Young Adult Cancer pp.2156-535X, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1089/jayao.2017.0076
- Social support and subjective burden in caregivers of adults and older adults: A meta-analysis vol.13, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0189874