- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Safety Management Status among Nurses Handling Anticancer Drugs: Nurse Awareness and Performance Following Safety Regulations
- Jeong, Kyeong Weon (Department of Nursing, Kangdong Sacred Heart Hospital) ;
- Lee, Bo-Young (Department of Nursing, Hallym Polytechnic University) ;
- Kwon, Myung Soon (Department OF Nursing, Hallym University) ;
- Jang, Ji-Hye (Department of Nursing, Hanyang University)
- Published : 2015.04.29
This study identified the actual conditions for safe anticancer drug management among nurses and the relationship between level of awareness and performance of anticancer drug safety regulations in terms of preparation, administration, and disposal. The respondents were 236 nurses working with chemotherapy in wards and outpatient clinics in five hospitals in and near Seoul. Safety regulations provided for the anticancer drug the Occupational Safety Health Administration (OSHA, 1999), as modified for an earlier study, were used. The results showed that the level of awareness and performance on the anticancer drug safety regulations indicate their preparation (
Awareness;performance;anticancer drug;drug safety regulation
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea, Hallym University
- Belcher AE, Hong KP, Lee YH, et al (1997). Cancer nursing. Seoul: Soomoonsa.
- Choi JS, Kim YH, Gong SH, et al. (2004). Level of knowledge and compliance on guidelines for safe handling of cytotoxic drugs by career and work units in clinical nurses. J Korean Clinical Nursing Res, 9, 6-17.
- Hong SY, Cho EJ, Yoo YS (2006). Effects of education for safe handling of cytotoxic drugs on knowledge and practice in oncology nurses. Asian Oncol Nur, 6, 47-53.
- Jung KW, Won YJ, Kong HJ, et al (2014). Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality, survival, and prevalence in 2011. Cancer Res Treat, 46, 109-123. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2014.46.2.109
- Keat CH, Sooaid NS, Yun CY, et al (2013). Improving safetyrelated knowledge, attitude and practices of nurses handling cytotoxic anticancer drug: pharmacists' experience in a general hospital, Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 69-73. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.69
- Kim BI (1996). Urinary mutagenicity, physical symptoms and stress of nurses handling anticancer drugs. J Korean Acad Nurs, 26, 963-75.
- Kim NK (1997). Drug therapy. Seoul: Seoul National University Press.
- Kim MJ, Jun MH, Choi JS, et al (2004). Cognition and practice of safe handling of cytotoxic drugs in university hospital nurses. Asian Oncol Nur, 4, 154-65.
- Kim SJ (1995). Chromosome aberration and sister chromatid exchange in pheripheral lymphocytes of nurses handling anticancer drugs. [dissertation]. Seoul: Seoul National University.
- Kyprianou M, Kapsou M, Raftopoulos V, et al (2010). Knowledge, attitudes and beliefs of Cypriot nurses on the handling of antineoplastic agents. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 14, 278-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2010.01.025
- Ladeira C, Viegas S, Padua M, et al (2014). Assessment of genotoxic effects in nurses handling cytostatic drugs. J Toxicol Environ Health A, 77, 879-87. https://doi.org/10.1080/15287394.2014.910158
- National Cancer Information Center (2012). Cancer statistics, 2012. (Available at : http://www.cancer.go.kr).
- Nixon S, Schulmeister L (2009). Safe handling of hazardous drugs: are you protected? Clin J Oncol Nurs, 13, 433-39. https://doi.org/10.1188/09.CJON.433-439
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (1999). OSHA Technical manual-Section VI: CHAPTER2. (Available at : www.osha.gov).
- Polovich M, Whitford JM, Kelleher LO (2005). Chemotherapy and biotherapy guidelines and recommendations for practice (2nd Eds.). ONS Connect.
- Rioufol C, Ranchon F, Schwiertz V, et al (2014). Administration of anticancer drugs: exposure in hospital nurses. Clin Ther, 36, 401-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinthera.2014.01.016
- Shin HS, Lee SH (1996). A study on the handling patterns of anticancer drugs and related symptoms in nurses. Ann Occup Environ Med, 8, 228-38.
- Statistics Korea (2013). Report on the cause of death statistics in 2013. Seoul: Statistics Korea.
- Perception and Practice to Safely Manage Antineoplastic Agents among Parents of Children with Cancer vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2018.18.1.47
- Safe Handling of Cytotoxic Drugs and Use of Personal Protective Equipment among Nurses at a Regional Cancer Center vol.18, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2018.18.4.206