- Volume 16 Issue 8
Purpose: This systematic analysis was conducted to evaluate the efficacy and safety of nedaplatin based salvage chemotherapy for treatment of patients with advanced cervical cancer. Methods: Clinical studies evaluating the efficacy and safety of nedaplatin based regimens on response and safety for patients with cervical cancer were identified using a predefined search strategy. Pooled response rates (RRs) were calculated. Results: For nedaplatin based regimens, 5 clinical studies including 264 patients with advanced cervical cancer were considered eligible for inclusion. The analysis showed that, in all patients, pooled RR was 74.6% (197/264). Major adverse effects were leukopenia, thrombocytopenia and nausea/vomiting. No treatment related death occurred with nedaplatin based treatment. Conclusion: This systematic analysis suggests that nedaplatin based regimens are associated with good activity with acceptable tolerability in treating patients with advanced cervical cancer.
Cervical cancer;nedaplatin;response rate
- Du LB, Li HZ, Wang XH, et al (2014). Analysis of cancer incidence in Zhejiang cancer registry in China during 2000 to 2009. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5839-43. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5839
- Hiruma R, Kamide T, Anzai N, et al (2008). Combined irinotecan (CPT-11) and nedaplatin (254-S) therapy for advanced and/or recurrent cervical cancer. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho, 35, 607-10.
- Lanciano R, Calkins A, Bundy BN, et al (2005). Randomized comparison of weekly cisplatin or protracted venous infusion of fluorouracil in combination with pelvic radiation in advanced cervix cancer: a gynecologic oncology group study. J Clin Oncol, 23, 8289-95. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.00.0497
- Kanzawa F, Matsushima Y, Nakano H, et al (1988). Antitumor activity of a new platinum compound (glycolate o, o') diammineplatinum (II) (254-S), against non-small cell lung carcinoma grown in a human tumor clonogenic assay system. Anticancer Res, 8, 323-7.
- Kawai Y, Taniuchi S, Okahara S, et al (2005). Gemba. Relationship between cisplatin or nedaplatin-induced nephrotoxicity and renal accumulation. Biol Pharm Bull, 28, 1385-8. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.28.1385
- Keys HM, Bundy BM, Stehman FB, et al (1999). A comparison of weekly cisplatin during radiation therapy versus irradiation alone each followed by adjuvant hysterectomy in bulky stage IB cervical carcinoma: a randomized trial of the Gynecologic Oncology Group. N Engl J Med, 340, 1154-61. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199904153401503
- Monk BJ, Alberts DS, Burger RA, et al (1998). In vitro phase II comparison of the cytotoxicity of a novel platinum analog, nedaplatin (254-S), with that of cisplatin and carboplatin against fresh, human cervical cancers. Gynecol Oncol, 71, 308-12. https://doi.org/10.1006/gyno.1998.5140
- Morris M, Eifel PJ, Lu J, et al (1999). Pelvic radiation with concurrent chemotherapy versus pelvic and para-aortic radiation for high risk cervical cancer: a randomized Radiation Therapy Oncology Group clinical trial. N Engl J Med, 340, 1137-43. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199904153401501
- Peter WA III, Liu PY, Barrett RJ II, et al (2000). Cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil plus radiation therapy are superior to radiation therapy as adjunctive in high-risk early stage carcinoma of the cervicx after radical hysterectomy and pelvic lymphadenectomy: report of a phase III intergroup study. J Clin Oncol, 18, 1606-13.
- Rose PG, Bundy BN, Watkins EB, et al (1999). Concurrent cisplatin-based chemoradiation improves progression free and overall survival in advanced cervical cancer: results of a randomized Gynecologic Oncology Group study. N Engl J Med, 340, 1144-53. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199904153401502
- Sasaki Y, Shinkai T, Eguchi K, et al (1991). Prediction of the antitumor activity of new platinum analogs based on their ex vivo pharmacodynamics as determined by bioassay. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 27, 263-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00685110
- Takekuma M, Hirashima Y, Ito K, et al (2012). Phase II trial of paclitaxel and nedaplatin in patients with advanced/recurrent uterine cervical cancer: a Kansai Clinical Oncology Group study. Gynecol Oncol, 126, 341-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2012.05.010
- Uehara T, Watanabe H, Itoh F, et al (2005). Nephrotoxicity of a novel antineoplastic platinum complex, nedaplatin: a comparative study with cisplatin in rats. Arch Toxicol, 79, 451-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00204-005-0648-6
- Vale CL (2008). Chemoradiotherapy for Cervical Cancer Meta-Analysis Collaboration. Reducing uncertainties about the effects of chemoradiotherapy for cervical cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of individual patient data from 18 randomized trials. J Clin Oncol, 26, 5802-12. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.16.4368
- Wang Y, Yu YH, Shen K, et al (2014). Cervical cancer screening and analysis of potential risk factors in 43,567 women in Zhongshan, China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 671-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.671
- Whitney CW, Sause W, Bundy BN, et al (1999). A randomized comparison of fluorouracil plus cisplatin versus hydroxyurea as an adjunct to radiation therapy in stages IIB-IVA carcinoma of the cervix with negative para-aortic lymph nodes: a Gynecologic Oncology Group and Southwest Oncology Group study. J Clin Oncol, 17, 1339-48.
- Yamaguchi S, Nishimura R, Yaegashi N, et al (2012). Phase II study of neoadjuvant chemotherapy with irinotecan hydrochloride and nedaplatin followed by radical hysterectomy for bulky stage Ib2 to IIb, cervical squamous cell carcinoma: Japanese Gynecologic Oncology Group study (JGOG 1065). Oncol Rep, 28, 487-93.
- Yokoyama Y, Takano T, Nakahara K, et al (2008). A phase II multicenter trial of concurrent chemoradiotherapy with weekly nedaplatin in advanced uterine cervical carcinoma: Tohoku Gynecologic Cancer Unit Study. Oncol Rep, 19, 1551-6.
- Watanabe Y, Nakai H, Etoh T, et al (2008). Feasibility study of docetaxel and nedaplatin for recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix. Anticancer Res, 28, 2385-8.
- Yin M, Zhang H, Li H, et al (2012). The toxicity and longterm efficacy of nedaplatin and paclitaxel treatment as neoadjuvant chemotherapy for locally advanced cervical cancer. J Surg Oncol, 105, 206-11. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.22052
- Yokoyama Y, Takano T, Nakahara K, et al (2008). A phase II multicenter trial of concurrent chemoradiotherapy with weekly nedaplatin in advanced uterine cervical carcinoma:Tohoku Gynecologic Cancer Unit Study. Oncol Rep, 19, 1551-6.