- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Factors Related to Treatment Refusal in Taiwanese Cancer Patients
- Chiang, Ting-Yu (Department of Nursing, Chang Gung Medical Foundation at Linkou Branch) ;
- Wang, Chao-Hui (Department of Nursing, Chang Gung Medical Foundation at Linkou Branch) ;
- Lin, Yu-Fen (Department of Nursing, Chang Gung Medical Foundation at Linkou Branch) ;
- Chou, Shu-Lan (Department of Nursing, Chang Gung Medical Foundation at Linkou Branch) ;
- Wang, Ching-Ting (Department of Nursing, Chang Gung Medical Foundation at Linkou Branch) ;
- Juang, Hsiao-Ting (Biostatistical Center for Clinical Research, Chang Gung Medical Foundation at Linkou Branch) ;
- Lin, Yung-Chang (Department of Oncology, Chang Gung Medical Foundation at Linkou Branch) ;
- Lin, Mei-Hsiang (National Taipei University of Nursing and Health Sciences)
- Published : 2015.04.29
Background: Incidence and mortality rates for cancer have increased dramatically in the recent 30 years in Taiwan. However, not all patients receive treatment. Treatment refusal might impair patient survival and life quality. In order to improve this situation, we proposed this study to evaluate factors that are related to refusal of treatment in cancer patients via a cancer case manager system. Materials and Methods: This study analysed data from a case management system during the period from 2010 to 2012 at a medical center in Northern Taiwan. We enrolled a total of 14,974 patients who were diagnosed with cancer. Using the PRECEDE Model as a framework, we conducted logistic regression analysis to identify independent variables that are significantly associated with refusal of therapy in cancer patients. A multivariate logistic regression model was also applied to estimate adjusted the odds ratios (ORs) with 95% confidence intervals (95%CI). Results: A total of 253 patients (1.69%) refused treatment. The multivariate logistic regression result showed that the high risk factors for refusal of treatment in cancer patient included: concerns about adverse effects (p<0.001), poor performance(p<0.001), changes in medical condition (p<0.001), timing of case manager contact (p=.026), the methods by which case manager contact patients (p<0.001) and the frequency that case managers contact patients (
Refusal of cancer treatment;PRECEDE model;case manager;Taiwan
- Budkaew J, Chumworathayi B (2013). Knowledge and attitudes toward palliative terminal cancer care among Thai generalists. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6173-80. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.6173
- Chang WH, Tung HJ (2012). The effect of social participation on mortality among the elderly in Taiwan: a comparison between the widowed and the non-widowed. TW J Geron Heal R. 8, 92-109.
- Green LW, Kreuter MW (2005) Health program planning: an educational and ecological approach, 4th edn. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Han HM, Hwang LL, Tsao CY, et al (2011). Cancer patients' perceptions and expectations to the role of oncology nurse case manager. Nurs Leadersh, 12, 19-33.
- Harvey MC (2006) Dying, dignity, and new horizons in palliative end-of-life care. CA Cancer J Clin, 56, 84-103. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.56.2.84
- Health Promotion Administration, Ministry of Health and Welfare, R.O.C. (2013). Deaths in Taiwan, 2012. Retrieved from http://www.mohw.gov.tw/cht/DOS/Statistic.aspx?f_list_no=312andfod_list_no=2747 Accessed gate 6th June, 2013.
- Hislop TG, The C, Low A, et al (2007). Predisposing, reinforcing and enabling factors associated with hepatitis B testing in Chinese Canadians in British Columbia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 39-44.
- Juang YY, Lin CR , Yang TY, et al (2013). Depressive disorders in patients with cancer. Formosan J Med, 17, 155-62.
- Kao CY, Hu WY, Chiu TY (2012). A survey of terminal cancer patients' truth telling and their emotional disturbance. TW J Hosp Palliat Care, 17, 288-99.
- Lin KL, Que J, Lin LC,et al (2004). Interruption of postradiotherapy follow-up in cancer patients. Radiol Ther Oncol, 11, 151-6.
- Lin LY, Lai KH, (2013). The oncology case management practice model in a medical center of southern Taiwan. Veteran Nurs J, 30, 53-8.
- Shayeb ME, Scarfe A, Yahui Y, et al (2012). Reasons physicians do not recommend and patients refuse adjuvant chemotherapy for stage III colon cancer: a population based chart review. BMC Res Notes, 269, 1-8.
- Tramm R, McCarthy A, Tates P (2011). Using the precedeproceed model of health program planning in breast cancer nursing research. J Adv Nurs, 1870-80.
- Verkooijen HM, Fioretta GM, Rapiti E, et al (2005). Patients' refusal of surgery strongly impairs breast cancer survival. Ann Surg Oncol, 242, 276-80. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.sla.0000171305.31703.84
- Wang CW (2010). The practice of oncology case management models. J Oncol Nurs, 10, 31-8.
- Yan YH, Hsu S, Fang SH, et al (2009). Establishment of an integrated management model for the secondary prevention of cervical cancer - an experience in Taiwan hospital. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 159-62.
- Fundamentals for Future Mobile-Health (mHealth): A Systematic Review of Mobile Phone and Web-Based Text Messaging in Mental Health vol.18, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.5066
- Risk factors associated with treatment refusal in lung cancer vol.8, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/1759-7714.12461
- Colorectal cancer in Taiwan: A case-control retrospective analysis of the impact of a case management programme on refusal and discontinuation of treatment pp.03092402, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.13443