- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Complementary Alternative Medicine Use Amongst Breast Cancer Patients in the Northern Region of Peninsular Malaysia
- Knight, Aishah (Advanced Medical and Dental Institute, Universiti Sains Malaysia) ;
- Hwa, Yen Siew (School of Distance Education (Economic Section), Universiti Sains Malaysia) ;
- Hashim, Hasnah (Advanced Medical and Dental Institute, Universiti Sains Malaysia)
- Published : 2015.04.29
Background: Breast cancer is a common cancer affecting women in Malaysia and the use of complementary/alternative medicine (CAM) has been associated with delays in getting treatment. The aim of the study was to explore the use of CAM and the influencing factors in the Northern region of Peninsular Malaysia. Materials and Methods: This was a cross-sectional descriptive study on a convenience sample of 100 Malaysian breast cancer survivors. Findings: The reported use of CAM among the breast cancer survivors was lower than in other studies but the types of CAM used had a similar pattern with nutrition supplements/vitamins being the most common. The factors that positively influenced the use of complimentary/traditional therapy were income and getting information from television or radio. Survivors with access to internet/blogs appear to have lower odds of using complimentary/traditional therapy compared to the respondents who reported no such access. Conclusions: Information transmitted via television and radio appears to have a positive influence on CAM use by breast cancer patients compared to other information sources and it is important to ensure that such information is accurate and impartial.
Complimentary/alternative medicine use;breast cancer patients;Malaysia
Supported by : Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Vittinghoff E, McCulloch CE (2007). Relaxing the rule of ten events per variable in logistic and cox regression. Am J Epidemiol, 165, 710-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwk052
- Wang HH, Chung UL (2012). Use of complimentary and alternative medicine among breast cancer survivors in Taiwan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4789-92 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4789
- Yan JH, Pan L, Zhang XM, Sun CX, Cui GH (2014). Lack of efficacy of tai chi in improving quality of life in breast cancer survivors: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3715-20 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3715
- Yen SH, Knight AAS, Hashim H (2011). The socioeconomic impacts of breast cancer on breast cancer patients in penang. Kajian Malaysia, 29, 111-36.
- Yen SH, Knight AAS, Hashim H (2010). The economic impact on breast cancer patients in Kelantan. Proceedings of International Soft Sciences Expo "Contributions To Nation Building", Universiti Utara Malaysia, pp. 176-87.
- Cheung CK, Wyman JF, Halcon LL (2007). Use of complementary and alternative therapies in community-dwelling older adults. J Altern Complement Med, 13, 997-1006. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2007.0527
- Department of Statistics, Malaysia (2007). Gross domestic products (GDP) by State, 2007. Available from: http://www.statistics.gov.my/portal/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=112&lang=en&Itemid=153. Accessed March 2013.
- Department of Statistics, Malaysia (2008). Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by State, 2008. Available from: http://www.statistics.gov.my/portal/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=112&lang=en&Itemid=153. Accessed March 2013.
- Hajime A, Yuki K, Tsuyoshi M, et al (2013). Concomitant administration of GJG is useful in preventing neuropathy in breast cancer patients treated with a DOC regimen. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6351-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6351
- Hasan SS, Ahmed SI, Bukhari NI, Loon WC (2009). Use of complementary and alternative medicine among patients with chronic diseases at outpatient clinics. Complement Ther Clin Pract, 15, 152-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctcp.2009.02.003
- Hermann RM (2012). World health assembly: members adopt resolution on preventing and controlling NCDs. Available from: http://www.ip-watch.org/2012/05/25/world-healthassembly-members-agree-on-ncd-resolution. Accessed January 2013.
- Ibrahim NI, Dahlui M, Aina EN, Al-Sadat N (2012). Who are the breast cancer survivors in Malaysia? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2213-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2213
- Khalid HS, Nisrin MA, Basem E, et al (2014). Perception of patients with cancer towards support management services and use of complementary alternative medicine - a single institution hospital-based study in Saudi Arabia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2547-54. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2547
- Malik IA, Gopalan S (2003). Use of CAM results in delay in seeking medical advice for breast cancer. Eur J Epidemiol, 18, 817-22.
- Moran MS, Ma S, Jagsi R, et al (2013). A prospective, multicenter study of complementary/alternative medicine (CAM) utilization during definitive radiation for breast cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 85, 40-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2012.03.025
- Norsa'adah B (2011). Multivariable analyses: regressions. kota bharu: norsa'adah bachok.
- Nurfaizah S, Zalilah MS, Asmah R, et al (2012). Use of complementary and alternative medicine among breast cancer survivors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4081-6 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.4081
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A (2012). Cancer statistics, 2012. Ca Cancer J Clin, 62, 10-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20138
- Ayers SL, Kronenfeld JJ (2012). Delays in seeking conventional medical care and complementary and alternative medicine utilization. Health Serv Res, 47, 2081-96. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2012.01406.x
- Bhoo-Pathy N, Hartman M, Yip CH, et al (2012). Ethnic differences in survival after breast cancer in South East Asia. PLoS One, 7, 30995. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0030995
- Szklo M, Nieto FJ (2007). Epidemiology: beyond the basics. second edition. sudbury: Jones and Bartlett publishers, 89-97.
- Use of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) as Part of the Oncological Treatment: Survey about Patients’ Attitude towards CAM in a University-Based Oncology Center in Germany vol.11, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0165801
- Nurses’ Knowledge and Attitudes Toward Complementary and Alternative Medicine for Adult Patients With Cancer in Bandung, West Java, Indonesia: A Qualitative Study pp.1552-5724, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0898010118811047