- Volume 16 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effect of Home Care Service on the Quality of Life in Patients with Gynecological Cancer
- Aktas, Demet (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Nursing, Turgut Ozal University, School of Nursing) ;
- Terzioglu, Fusun (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Nursing, Hacettepe University Faculty of Nursing)
- Published : 2015.05.18
The purpose of the research was to determine the effect of home care service on the quality of life in patients with gynecological cancer. This randomized case control study was carried out in a womans hospital between September 2011 and February 2012. Women undergoing gynecological cancer treatment were separated into intervention and control groups, of 35 patients each. The intervention group was provided with nursing care service through hospital and home visits (
Gynecological cancer;home care service;home visit;nursing interventions;quality of life
- Ahlner-Elmqvist M, Jordhoy MS, Bjordal K, Jannert M, Kaasa S (2008). Characteristics and Quality of Life of Patient Who Choose Home Care at the End of Life. J Pain Symptom Manage, 36, 217-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2007.10.010
- Akkuzu G (2012). An evaluation of the quality of life of women undergoing chemotherapy due to a diagnosis of a gynecological oncological disease. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1277-80. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1277
- Bakitas M, Lyons KD, Hegel MT, et al (2009). Effects of a palliative care intervention on clinical outcomes in patients with advanced cancer: the Project ENABLE II randomized controlled trial. JAMA, 302, 741-49. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2009.1198
- Cigna JA (2007). Home care physical therapy for the cancer patient. J Home Healthc Nurs, 25, 158-61. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NHH.0000263432.77566.77
- De Raaf PJ, De Klerk C, Timman R, et al (2013). Systematic monitoring and treatment of physical symptoms to alleviate fatigue in patients with advanced cancer: a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Oncol, 31, 716-23. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2012.44.4216
- Demirtas B, Pinar G (2014). Determination of sexual problems of turkish patients receiving gynecologic cancer treatment: a cross-sectional study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6657-63. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6657
- Distefano M, Riccardi S, Capelli G, et al (2008). Quality of life and psychological distress in locally advanced cervical cancer patients administered pre-operative chemoradiotherapy. J Gynecol Oncol, 111, 144-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2008.06.034
- Ertem G (2010). Jinekolojik kanserlerde evde bakim. Turk Onkoloji Dergisi, 25, 124-32.
- Ertem G, Kalkim A, Bulut S, Sevil U (2009). Radyoterapi alan hastalarin evde bakim gereksinimleri ve yasam kaliteleri. Maltepe Universitesi Hemsirelik Bilim ve Sanati Dergisi, 2, 4-12.
- Fauci J, Schneider K, Walters C, et al (2012). The utilization of palliative care in gynecologic oncology patients near the end of life. Gynecol Oncol, 127, 175-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2012.06.025
- Ferrell BR, Dow RH, Grant M (1995). Measurement of the quality of life in cancer survivors. Qual Life Res, 4, 523-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00634747
- Francisca Vaz A, Marques Conde D, Siani Morais S, et al (2007). Quality of life of women with gynecologic cancer: associated factors. Arch Gynecol Obstet, 276, 583-89. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00404-007-0397-2
- Hirabayashi Y, Miyashita M, Kawa M, et al (2007). Factors relating to terminally ill cancer patients' willligness to continue living at home during the early phase of home care after discharge from clinical cancer centers in Japan. Palliat Support Care, 5, 19-30.
- Horton R (2002). Differences in assessment of symptoms and quality of life between patients with advanced cancer and their specialist palliative care nurses in a home care setting. Palliat Med, 16, 488-94. https://doi.org/10.1191/0269216302pm588oa
- Jocham HR, Dassen T, Widdershoven G, Middel B, Halfens R (2009). The effect of palliative care in home care and hospital on quality of life. JHPN, 11, 119-26.
- Kelleci M (2005). Kanser hastalarinin umudunun gelistirilmesine yonelik hemsirelik girisimleri. Anatolian J Psychiat, 6, 41-7.
- Keskin G, Gumus BA (2011). Turkish hysterectomy and mastectomy patients depression, body image, sexual problems and spouse relationships. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 425-32.
- Knapstein SH, Fusshoeller C, Franz C, et al (2004). The impact of treatment for genital cancer on quality of life and body image-results of a prospective longitudinal 10-year study. J Gynecol Oncol, 94, 398-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2004.04.025
- Kuzeyli Yildirim Y (2006). Kanserli hastalarda evde bakim. In: Fadiloglu C, Ertem G (first edition). Turkey: Meta Basim Matbaacilik.
- Lowdermilk DL (2006). Home care of the patient with gynecologic cancer. JOGNN, 24, 157-63.
- Mantegna G, Petrillo M, Fuoco G, et al (2013). Long-term prospective longitudinal evaluation of emotional distress and quality of life in cervical cancer patients who remained disease-free 2-years from diagnosis. BMC Cancer, 13, 127. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-13-127
- Maughan K (2008). The effect of a clinical nurse specialist in gynaecological oncology on quality of life and sexuality. J Clin Nurs, 10, 221-29. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2001.00465.x
- McCorcle R, Dowd M, Ercolano E, et al (2009). Effects of nursing interventions on quality of life outcomes in postsurgical women with gynecological cancers. Psycho-Oncol, 18, 62-70. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1365
- McCorcle R, Strumpf N, Nuamah I, et al (2000). Specialized home care intervention improves survival among older post surgical gynecological cancer patients. J Am Geriatr Soc, 48, 240-49.
- Mishra K (2011). Gynaecological malignancies from palliative care perspective. Indian J Palliat Care, 17, 45-51. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1075.76243
- Molassiotis A, Brearley S, Saunders M, et al (2009). Effectiveness of a home care nursing program in the symptom management of patients with colorectal and breast cancer receiving oral chemotherapy: a randomised controlled trial. J Clin Oncol, 27, 6191-98. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.20.6755
- Palmer P, Gillespie A (2012). Palliative care in gynaecological oncology. Obstet Gynaeco Reprod Med, 22, 123-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ogrm.2012.02.005
- Rannestad T, Skjeldestad FE (2007). Pain and quality of life among long-term gynecological cancer survivors: a population-based case-control study. Acta Obstet Gynecol, 86, 1510-16. https://doi.org/10.1080/00016340701743116
- Reis N, Beji KN, Coskun A (2010). Quality of life and sexual functioning in gynecological cancer patients: results from quantitative and qualitaty data. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 14, 137-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2009.09.004
- Sacerdoti RC, Lagana L, Koopman C (2010). Altered sexuality and body image after gynecological cancer treatment: how can psychologists help? Professional Psychol Res Pract, 41, 533-40. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0021428
- Saevarsdottir T, Fridriksdottir N, Gunnarsdottir S (2010). Quality of life of symtoms of anxiety and depression of patients receiving cancer chemotherapy. Cancer Nurs, 33, 5-6.
- Seavarsdottir T, Fridriksdottir N (2006). Quality of life, symptoms of anxiety and depression, and rehabilitation needs of people receiving chemotherapy for cancer at the initation of chemotherapy and three months later. Oncol Nurs Forum, 33, 469-70.
- Sharifa Ezat WP, Fuad I, Hayati Y, Zafar A, Wanda Kiyah GA (2014). Observational study on patient's satisfactions and quality of life (QoL) among cancer patients receiving treatment with palliative care intent in a tertiary hospital in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 695-701. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.695
- Siegel R, Jemal A, Nishadham D (2013). Cancer Statistics. CA: A Cancer J Clin, 61, 11-30.
- Turgut A, Ozler A, Sak ME, et al (2012). Retrospective analysis of the patients with gynecological cancer: 11-Year Experience. JCEI, 3, 209-13. https://doi.org/10.5799/ahinjs.01.2012.02.0146
- Unsar S, Findik YU, Kurt S, Ozcan H (2007). Kanserli hastada evde bakim ve semptom yonetimi. Firat Saglik Hizmetleri Dergisi, 2, 90-108.
- Xie Y, Zhao FH, Lu SH, et al (2013). Assessment of quality of life for the patients with cervical cancer at different clinical stages. Chin J Cancer, 32, 275-82. https://doi.org/10.5732/cjc.012.10047
- Yajima M, Okamura K, Ijichi R, et al (2001). Differences between gynecologic cancer patients taken care for at home and those taken care for at the hospital. PUBMED, 1, 34-6.
- Zimmermann C, Swami N, Krzyzanowska M, et al (2014). Early palliative care for patients with advanced cancer: a cluster-randomised controlled trial. Lancet, 383, 1721-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)62416-2