- Volume 16 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Aberrant Methylation of the 1p36 Tumor Suppressor Gene RIZ1 in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Ge, Peng (Department of Urology, Peking University First Hospital and Institute of Urology, Peking University) ;
- Yu, Xi (Department of Urology, Peking University First Hospital and Institute of Urology, Peking University) ;
- Wang, Zi-Cheng (Department of Urology, Peking University First Hospital and Institute of Urology, Peking University) ;
- Lin, Jian (Department of Urology, Peking University First Hospital and Institute of Urology, Peking University)
- Published : 2015.05.18
Background: Retinoblastoma protein-interacting zinc finger gene 1(RIZ1) functions as a tumor suppressor. Hypermethylation-mediated RIZ1 silencing has been reported in several cancers, but not in renal cell carcinoma (RCC) yet. Materials and Methods: We examined the RIZ1 expression and methylation in a panel of RCC cell lines and 50 primary tumors using semiquantitative/quantitative polymerase chain reaction (PCR), methylation specific PCR, and bisulfite sequencing genomic. We also explored the relationship between methylation status of RIZ1 and clinicopathological features in RCC patients. Results: RIZ1 expression was down-regulated or lost in OS-RC-2, 769-P, Caki-1, 786-O and A498 RCC cell lines. Restored expression of RIZ1 was detected after addition of 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine with/without trichostatin A, suggesting that DNA methylation directly mediates its silencing. The RIZ1 expression was significantly reduced in RCCs compared to adjacent non-malignant renal samples (P<0.001). Aberrant methylation was detected in 15 of 50 (30%) RCCs and in 2 of 28 (7%) adjacent non-malignant renal samples (P=0.02). No statistically significant correlation between methylated and unmethylated cases with regard to age, gender, pathological stage and grade was observed. Conclusions: RIZ1 expression is down-regulated in human RCC, and this down-regulation is associated with methylation. RIZ1 methylation may play a role in renal carcinogenesis.
DNA methylation;RIZ1;tumor suppressor gene;kidney neoplasms;epigenetics
- Buyse IM, Shao G, Huang S (1995). The retinoblastoma protein binds to RIZ, a zinc-finger protein that shares an epitope with the adenovirus E1A protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 92, 4467-71. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.92.10.4467
- Cheng HY, Gao Y, Lou G (2010). DNA methylation of the RIZ1 tumor suppressor gene plays an important role in the tumorigenesis of cervical cancer. Eur J Med Res, 15, 20-4. https://doi.org/10.1186/2047-783X-15-1-20
- de Martino M, Klatte T, Haitel A, Marberger M (2012). Serum cell-free DNA in renal cell carcinoma: a diagnostic and prognostic marker. Cancer, 118, 82-90. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.26254
- Dong SW, Zhang P, Liu YM, et al (2012). Study on RIZ1 gene promoter methylation status in human esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol, 18, 576-82. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v18.i6.576
- Du Y, Carling T, Fang W, et al (2001). Hypermethylation in human cancers of the RIZ1 tumor suppressor gene, a member of a histone/protein methyltransferase superfamily. Cancer Res, 61, 8094-9.
- Eble JN, Epstein JI, Sesterhenn IA (2004). Pathology and genetics of tumors of the urinary system and male genital organs. IARC Press, Lyon.
- Ellinger J, Holl D, Nuhn P, et al (2011). DNA hypermethylation in papillary renal cell carcinoma. BJU Int, 107, 664-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2010.09468.x
- Esteller M (2007). Cancer epigenomics: DNA methylomes and histone-modification maps. Nat Rev Genet, 8, 286-98. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrg2005
- Garcia-Baquero R, Puerta P, Beltran M, et al (2013). Methylation of a novel panel of tumor suppressor genes in urine moves forward noninvasive diagnosis and prognosis of bladder cancer: a 2-center prospective study. J Urol, 190, 723-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2013.01.105
- Gnyszka A, Jastrzebski Z, Flis S (2013). DNA methyltransferase inhibitors and their emerging role in epigenetic therapy of cancer. Anticancer Res, 33, 2989-96.
- Greene FL, Page DL, Fleming ID, et al (2002). AJCC cancer staging manual, 6th edn. Springer publisher, New York.
- Haroun RA, Zakhary NI, Mohamed MR, et al (2014). Assessment of the prognostic value of methylation status and expression levels of FHIT, GSTP1 and p16 in non-small cell lung cancer in Egyptian patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4281-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4281
- Hasegawa Y, Matsubara A, Teishima J, et al (2007). DNA methylation of the RIZ1 gene is associated with nuclear accumulation of p53 in prostate cancer. Cancer Sci, 98, 32-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2006.00338.x
- Hauser S, Zahalka T, Fechner G, et al (2013). Serum DNA hypermethylation in patients with kidney cancer: results of a prospective study. Anticancer Res, 33, 4651-6.
- He L, Yu JX, Liu L, et al (1998). RIZ1, but not the alternative RIZ2 product of the same gene, is underexpressed in breast cancer, and forced RIZ1 expression causes G2-M cell cycle arrest and/or apoptosis. Cancer Res, 58, 4238-44.
- Hoffman AM, Cairns P (2011). Epigenetics of kidney cancer and bladder cancer. Epigenomics, 3, 19-34. https://doi.org/10.2217/epi.10.64
- Huang S, Shao G, Liu L (1998). The PR domain of the Rb-binding zinc finger protein RIZ1 is a protein binding interface and is related to the SET domain functioning in chromatin-mediated gene expression. J Biol Chem, 273, 15933-9. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.273.26.15933
- Khaenam P, Jearanaikoon P, Pairojkul C, et al (2010). Genetic and epigenetic alterations of RIZ1 and the correlation to clinicopathological parameters in liver fluke-related cholangiocarcinoma. Exp Ther Med, 1, 385-390.
- Knudson AG (2001). Two genetic hits (more or less) to cancer. Nat Rev Cancer, 1, 157-62. https://doi.org/10.1038/35101031
- Lal G, Padmanabha L, Smith BJ, et al (2006). RIZ1 is epigenetically inactivated by promoter hypermethylation in thyroid carcinoma. Cancer, 107, 2752-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22325
- Miyamoto K, Ushijima T (2005). Diagnostic and therapeutic applications of epigenetics. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 35, 293-301. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyi088
- Pastural E, Takahashi N, Dong WF, et al (2007). RIZ1 repression is associated with insulin-like growth factor-1 signaling activation in chronic myeloid leukemia cell lines. Oncogene, 26, 1586-94. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1209959
- Raja UM, Gopal G, Rajkumar T (2012). Intragenic DNA methylation concomitant with repression of ATP4B and ATP4A gene expression in gastric cancer is a potential serum biomarker. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5563-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5563
- Sasaki O, Meguro K, Tohmiya Y, et al (2002). Altered expression of retinoblastoma protein-interacting zinc finger gene, RIZ, in human leukaemia. Br J Haematol, 119, 940-8. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2141.2002.03972.x
- Steele-Perkins G, Fang W, Yang XH, et al (2001). Tumor formation and inactivation of RIZ1, an Rb-binding member of a nuclear protein-methyltransferase superfamily. Genes Dev, 15, 2250-62. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.870101
- Sun W, Qiao L, Liu Q, et al (2011). Anticancer activity of the PR domain of tumor suppressor RIZ1. Int J Med Sci, 8, 161-7.
- Tokumaru Y, Nomoto S, Jeronimo C, et al (2003). Biallelic inactivation of the RIZ1 gene in human gastric cancer. Oncogene, 22, 6954-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1206403
- Xie M, Shao G, Buyse IM, Huang S (1997). Transcriptional repression mediated by the PR domain zinc finger gene RIZ. J Biol Chem, 272, 26360-6. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.272.42.26360
- Zhang Q, Ying J, Li J, et al (2010). Aberrant promoter methylation of DLEC1, a critical 3p22 tumor suppressor for renal cell carcinoma, is associated with more advanced tumor stage. J Urol, 184, 731-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2010.03.108
- Zhang Q, Ying J, Zhang K, et al (2007). Aberrant methylation of the 8p22 tumor suppressor gene DLC1 in renal cell carcinoma. Cancer Lett, 249, 220-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2006.08.019
- Zhang Q, Zhang L, Li L, et al (2014). Interferon regulatory factor 8 functions as a tumor suppressor in renal cell carcinoma and its promoter methylation is associated with patient poor prognosis. Cancer Lett, 354, 227-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2014.07.040
- Combination of RIZ1 Overexpression and Radiotherapy Contributes to Apoptosis and DNA Damage of HeLa and SiHa Cervical Cancer Cells vol.123, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/bcpt.13008