- Volume 16 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Clinical Application of Serum Tumor Abnormal Protein from Patients with Gastric Cancer
- Liu, Jin (Department of Chemotherapy, the Affiliated JiangSu Cancer Hospital of Nanjing Medical University & Jiangsu Institute of Cancer Rearch) ;
- Huang, Xin-En (Department of research, the Affiliated JiangSu Cancer Hospital of Nanjing Medical University & Jiangsu Institute of Cancer Rearch)
- Published : 2015.05.18
Background: To verify whether serum tumor abnormal protein (TAP) would correlate with the responsiveness of palliative chemotherapy in patients with advanced gastric cancer, and the variation of conventional serum tumor markers e.g., carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA), antigen 125 (CA125),carbohydrate antigen19-9 (CA19-9) of adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with early gastric cancer. Materials and Methods: Patients with histologically confirmed gastric cancer and treated with chemotherapy were enrolled into this study. TAP values of these patients were determined by detecting abnormal sugar chain glycoprotein in serum, combined with the area of agglomerated particles. For patients with advanced gastric cancer, responsiveness of palliative chemotherapy was compared with variation of TAP and the relation between variation of TAP and tumor markers in patients with early gastric cancer was analyzed. Results: Totally 82 gastric cancer patients were enrolled into this study. The value of TAP is more closely related to responsiveness of palliative chemotherapy for patients with advanced gastric cancer. The correlation between TAP and responsiveness to palliative chemotherapy is stronger than the correlation between several conventional serum tumor markers (CEA, CA125 and CA199). The variation of TAP was also positively correlated with the trend of CA125 in adjuvant chemotherapy. Conclusions: TAP is sensitive in monitoring the responsiveness to palliative chemotherapy in patients with advanced gastric cancer. But this result should be confirmed by randomized clinical trials for patients with gastric cancer.
Tumor abnormal protein (TAP);tumor marker;gastric cancer;chemotherapy efficacy
- Blomme B, Van Steenkiste C, Callewaert N, et al (2009). Alteration of protein glycosylation in liver diseases. J Hepatol, 50, 592-60.
- Boucher D, Cournoyer D, Stanners CP, et al (1989). Studies on the control of gene expression of the carcinoembryonic antigen family in human tissue. Cancer Res, 49, 847-52.
- Bruckner H, Morris JC, Mansfield P, et al (2000). Neoplasms of the stomach cancer medicine.5 m ed. Hamilton: BC Decker, 35, 1355-90.
- Daniele M, Franco R, Alfonso D, et al (1999). Prognostic significance of CEA, CA 19-9 and CA 72-4 preoperative serum levels in gastric carcinoma. Oncology, 57, 55-62. https://doi.org/10.1159/000012001
- Dube D H, Bertozzi C (2005). Glycans in cancer and inflammation-potential for therapeutics and diagnostic. Nat Drug Discov, 4, 477-88 https://doi.org/10.1038/nrd1751
- Duffy MJ (2006). Serum tumor markers in breast cancer: are they of clinical value? Clin Chem, 52, 345-51. https://doi.org/10.1373/clinchem.2005.059832
- Fujiyama S, Tanaka M, Maeda S, et al (2002). Tumor markers in early diagnosis, follow-up and management of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Oncology, 62, 57-63. https://doi.org/10.1159/000048277
- Hakomori S (2002). Glycosylation defining cancer malignancy: New wine in an old bottle. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 99, 10231-3. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.172380699
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al (2006). Cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 56, 106-30. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.56.2.106
- Jiang M, Pu R (2010). Study on serum tumor related material (BXTM) with early diagnosis in malignant tumor. National Med Frontiers China, 5, 80-1.
- Jin L, Huang XE (2014). Efficacy of bifidobacterium tetragenous viable bacteria tablets for cancer patients with functional constipation. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10241-4.
- Kornek G, Depisch D, Temsch EM, et al (1991). Comparative analysis of cancer-associated antigen CA-195, CA 19-9 and carcinoembryonic antigen in diagnosis, follow-up and monitoring to response to chemotherapy in patients with gastrointestinal cancer. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 117, 493-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01612773
- Liu J, Huang XE, Feng JF (2014). Further study on pemetrexed based chemotherapy in treating patients with advanced gastric cancer (AGC). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6587-90. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6587
- Liu J, Huang XE (2014). Efficacy of Bifidobacterium tetragenous viable bacteria tablets for cancer patients with functional constipation. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10241-4.
- Meany DL, Chan DW (2011). Aberrant glycosylation associated with enzymes as cancer biomarkers. Clin Proteomics, 8, 7-9. https://doi.org/10.1186/1559-0275-8-7
- Meyert T, Hart R (1998). Mechanisms of tumor metastasis. Eur J Cancer, 3, 214-221.
- Steinberg W (1990). The clinical utility of the CA 19-9 tumor-associated antigen. Am J Gastroenterol, 85, 350-5.
- Tatli A, Urakci Z, Kalender M, et al (2015). Alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) elevation gastric adenocarcinoma and importance of AFP change in tumor response evaluation. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 2003-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.2003
- Varkia, Cummings R, Esko J, et al (1999). Essential of glycobiology. New York: cold spring harbor laboratory press, 483-491
- Wu XY, Huang XE, You SX, et al (2013). Phase II study of pemetrexed as second or third line combined chemotherapy in patients with colorectal cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2019-22. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.2019
- Safety and Efficacy of a Mouth-Rinse with Granulocyte Colony Stimulating Factor in Patients with Chemotherapy-Induced Oral Mucositis vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.413
- A Clinical Study on Juheli (Recombinant Human Interleukin - 11) in the Second Prevention of Chemotherapy Induced Thrombocytopenia vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.485
- Effect of Peripheral Blood CD4 + CD25 + Regulatory T Cell on Postoperative Immunotherapy for Patients with Renal Carcinoma vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2027
- Prognostic value of serum tumor abnormal protein in gastric cancer patients vol.5, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2016.877