- Volume 16 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Recent Decrease in Colorectal Cancer Mortality Rate is Affected by Birth Cohort in Korea
- Jee, Yonho (Department of Statistics, Sookmyung Women's University) ;
- Oh, Chang-Mo (Cancer Registration and Statistics Branch, National Cancer Control Institute, National Cancer Center) ;
- Shin, Aesun (Department of Preventive Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine)
- Published : 2015.05.18
Background: Colorectal cancer mortality has started to decrease in several developed countries in Asia. The current study aimed to present the long-term trends in colorectal cancer mortality in Korea using joinpoint analysis and age-period-cohort modeling. Materials and Methods: The number of colorectal cancer deaths and the population for each 5-year age group were obtained from Statistics Korea for the period 1984-2013 for adults 30 years and older. Joinpoint regression analysis was conducted to determine changes in trends in age-standardized mortality rates, and age-period-cohort analysis was performed to describe trends in colorectal cancer mortality using the intrinsic estimator method. Results: In men, the age-standardized mortality rate for colorectal cancer increased from 1984 to 2003, and the mortality rates stabilized thereafter, whereas the mortality rate of colorectal cancer in women has decreased since 2004. The age-specific mortality rate of colorectal cancer increased in both men and women over time, whereas decreases in the age-specific mortality rate in younger cohorts were observed. In the age-period-cohort analysis, old age and recent period were associated with higher mortality for both men and women. The birth cohort born after 1919 showed reduced colorectal cancer mortality in both men and women. Conclusions: Our study showed a recent decreasing trend in colorectal cancer mortality in women and a stable trend in men after 2003-2004. These changes in colorectal cancer mortality may be attributed to birth cohort effects.
Colorectal cancer;mortality;trends;birth cohort;Korea
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- Abente GL, Ardanaz E, Ramos AT, et al for the Colorectal Cancer Working Group. (2010). Changes in colorectal cancer incidence and mortality trends in Spain. Ann Oncol, 21, 76-82.
- Bosetti C, Levi F, Rosato V, et al (2011). Recent trends in colorectal cancer mortality in Europe. Int J Cancer, 129, 180-91. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25653
- Chu KC, Tarone RE, Chow WH, et al (1994). Temporal patterns in colorectal cancer incidence, survival, and mortality from 1950 through 1990. J Natl Cancer Inst, 86, 997-1006. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/86.13.997
- Edwards BK, Ward E, Kohler BA, et al (2010). Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975-2006, featuring colorectal cancer trends and impact of interventions (risk factors, screening, and treatment) to reduce future rates. Cancer, 116, 544-573. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.24760
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, et al (2013). GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0, Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 11 [Internet]. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer. Available from: http://globocan.iarc.fr, accessed on 30/1/2014.
- Fritz A, Percy C, Jack A, et al (2000). International classification of diseases for oncology, 3rd ed. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization.
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Xu J, et al (2010). Cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 60, 277-300. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20073
- Kim HJ, Fay MP, Feuer EJ, et al (2000). Permutation tests for joinpoint regression with applications to cancer rates. Stat Med, 19, 335-51. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0258(20000215)19:3<335::AID-SIM336>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Kok IM, Wong CS, Chia KS, et al (2008). Gender differences in the trend of colorectal cancer incidence in Singapore, 1968-2002. Int J Colorectal Dis, 23, 461-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-007-0421-9
- Lee BY, Sonnenberg A (2013). Time trends of mortality from colorectal cancer in the United States: A birth-cohort analysis. JAMA Intern Med, 173, 1148-50.
- Liang PS, Chen T, Giovannucci E (2009). Cigarette smoking and colorectal cancer incidence and mortality: systematic review and meta analysis. Int J Cancer, 124, 2406-15. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.24191
- Lim SH, Kwon JW, Kim N, et al (2013). Prevalence and risk factors of Helicobacter pylori infection in Korea: Nationwide multicenter study over 13 years. BMC Gastroenterology, 13, 104. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-230X-13-104
- Minami Y, Nishino Y, Tsubono Y, et al (2006). Increase of colon and rectal incidence rates in Japan: trends in incidence rates in miyagi prefecture, 1959-1997. J Epidemiol, 16, 240-8. https://doi.org/10.2188/jea.16.240
- National Cancer Institute (2012). Joinpoint Regression Program version 3.5.3 2012. Available from: http://surveillance.cancer.gov/joinpoint
- National Cancer Information Center (2014). Cancer Incidence trend analysis. accessed online Date on June 2014 at http://www.cancer.go.kr/mbs/cancer/subview.jsp?id=cancer_040104000000.
- Park E, Koh H, Kwon J, et al (2009). Secular trends in adult male smoking from 1992 to 2006 in South Korea: Age-specific changes with evolving tobacco-control policies. Public Health, 123, 657-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2009.09.007
- Pou SA, Osella AR, Eynard AR, et al (2009). Colorectal cancer mortality trends in Co rdoba, Argentina. Cancer Epidemiol, 33, 406-12 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2009.09.009
- Reither EN, Hauser RM, Yang Y (2014). Do birth cohorts matter? Age-period-cohort analyses of the obesity epidemic in the United States. Soc Sci Med, 101, 176-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2013.09.004
- Ribes J, Navarro M, Cleries R, et al (2009). Colorectal cancer mortality in Spain: trends and profections for 1985-2019. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 21, 92-100 https://doi.org/10.1097/MEG.0b013e32830b5f39
- Shin A, Joo J, Bak J, et al (2011). Site- specific risk factors for colorectal cancer in a Korean population. PLoS One, 6, 23196. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0023196
- Shin A, Jung K, Won Y (2013). Colorectal cancer mortality in Hong Kong of China, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore. World J Gastroenterol, 19, 979-983 https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v19.i7.979
- Statistics Korea (2015). Available at: http://kosis.kr/. Accessed February 25, 2015.
- Su SY, Huang JY, Jian ZH, et al (2012). Mortality of colorectal cancer in Taiwan, 1971-2010: temporal changes and ageperiod-cohort analysis. Int J Colorectal Dis, 27, 1665-72 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-012-1521-8
- Suh M, Choi KS, Lee YY, et al (2013). Cancer screening in Korea, 2012: results from the Korean national cancer screening survey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6459-63 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6459
- Svensson E, Grotmol T, Hoff G, et al (2002). Trends in colorectal cancer incidence in Norway by gender and anatomic site: an age-period-cohort analysis. Eur J Cancer Prev, 11, 489-95 https://doi.org/10.1097/00008469-200210000-00012
- van Steenbergen LN, Lemmens VE, Louwman MJ, et al (2009). Increasing incidence and decreasing mortality of colorectal cancer due to marked cohort effects in Southern Netherlands. Eur J Cancer Prev, 18, 145-52. https://doi.org/10.1097/CEJ.0b013e32831362e7
- Yang Y (2008). Trend in U.S. adult chronic disease mortality, 1960-1999; age, period, and cohort variations. Demography, 45, 387-416. https://doi.org/10.1353/dem.0.0000
- Yang Y, Fu WJ, Land KC (2004). A methodological comparison of age-period-cohort models: the intrinsic estimator and conventional generalized linear models. Soc Methodol, 34, 75-110. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0081-1750.2004.00148.x
- Sonnenberg A (2012). Effects of birth cohort on long-term trends in mortality from colorectal cancer. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol, 10, 1389-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2012.09.008
- Wu Q, Yang Z, Xu P, et al (2013). Association between helicobacter pylori infection and the risk of colorectal neoplasia: A systematic review and meta analysis. Colorectal Dis, 15, 352-64. https://doi.org/10.1111/codi.12284
- Colorectal Cancer Staging Using Three Clustering Methods Based on Preoperative Clinical Findings vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.823
- Análise do efeito idade-período-coorte na mortalidade por câncer colorretal no Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, no período 1980 a 2014 vol.34, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/0102-311x00038017
- Time trends of incidence and mortality in colorectal cancer in Changning District, Shanghai, 1975-2013 vol.19, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/1751-2980.12667
- Regional differences in colorectal cancer mortality between 2000 and 2013 in Republic of Korea pp.1349-9092, 2018, https://doi.org/10.2188/jea.JE20170331
- Updates on Cancer Epidemiology in Korea, 2018 vol.54, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4068/cmj.2018.54.2.90