- Volume 16 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Antitumor Activity of Chloroquine in Combination with Cisplatin in Human Gastric Cancer Xenografts
- Zhang, Hui-Qing (The Third Department of Medical Oncology, Jiangxi Provincial Cancer Hospital) ;
- Fang, Nian (Gastrointestinal Department of Internal Medicine, The Fourth Affiliated Hospital of Nanchang University) ;
- Liu, Xiao-Mei (The Third Department of Medical Oncology, Jiangxi Provincial Cancer Hospital) ;
- Xiong, Shu-Ping (The Third Department of Medical Oncology, Jiangxi Provincial Cancer Hospital) ;
- Liao, Yu-Qian (The Third Department of Medical Oncology, Jiangxi Provincial Cancer Hospital) ;
- Jin, Wen-Jian (Department of Geriatric Oncology, Jiangxi Provincial Cancer Hospital) ;
- Song, Rong-Feng (The Third Department of Medical Oncology, Jiangxi Provincial Cancer Hospital) ;
- Wan, Yi-Ye (The Third Department of Medical Oncology, Jiangxi Provincial Cancer Hospital)
- Published : 2015.05.18
Purpose: To investigate the antitumor activity and mechanism of chloroquine (CQ) in combination with cisplatin (DDP) in nude mice xenografted with gastric cancer SGC7901 cells. Materials and Methods: 35 cases of gastric cancer patients with malignant ascites were enrolled and intraperitoneal cisplatin injection was performed. Ascites were collected before and 5 days after perfusion for assessment of autophagy levels in cancer cells. In addition, 24 tumor-bearing mice were randomly divided into control, DDP, CQ and CQ + DDP groups. Results: In 54.3% (19/35) of patients the treatment was therapeutically effective (OR), 5 days after peritoneal chemotherapy, 13 patients had the decreased ascites Beclin-1 mRNA levels. In 16 patients who had NR, only 2 cases had decreased Beclin-1 (P=0.001). Compared with the control group, the xenograft growth in nude mice in the DDP group was low, and the inhibition rate was 47.6%. In combination with chloroquine, the inhibition rate increased to 84.7% (P<0.01). The LC3-II/I ratio, and Beclin1 and MDR1/P-gp expression were decreased, while caspase 3 protein levels increased (P<0.05). Conclusions: Antitumor ability of cisplatin was associated with autophagy activity and chloroquine can enhance chemosensitivity to cisplatin in gastric cancer xenografts nude mice.
Cisplatin;chloroquine;gastric cancer;multi-drug resistance;xenografts
- Ashraf N, Hoffe S and Kim R (2013). Adjuvant treatment for gastric cancer: chemotherapy versus radiation. Oncologist, 18, 1013-21. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2012-0462
- Bang YJ, Van Cutsem E, Feyereislova A, et al (2010). Trastuzumab in combination with chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone for treatment of HER2-positive advanced gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction cancer (ToGA): a phase 3, open-label, randomised controlled trial. Lancet, 376, 687-97 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(10)61121-X
- Chen S, Rehman SK, Zhang W, et al (2010). Autophagy is a therapeutic target in anticancer drug resistance. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1806, 220-9.
- Choi AM, Ryter SW and Levine B (2013). Autophagy in human health and disease. N Engl J Med, 368, 651-62. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1205406
- Fang N, Zhang HQ, He BX, et al (2013). Clinicopathological characteristics and prognosis of gastric cancer with malignant ascites. Tumour Biol, 28 (Epub ahead of print)
- GASTRIC Group, et al (2013). Role of chemotherapy for advanced/recurrent gastric cancer: an individual-patient-data meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer, 49, 1565-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2012.12.016
- Huang J, Ni J, Liu K YY, et al (2012). HMGB1 promotes drug resistance in osteosarcoma. Cancer Res, 72, 230-8.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Levine B, Kroemer G (2008). Autophagy in the pathogenesis of disease. Cell, 132, 27-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2007.12.018
- Levy JM and Thorburn A (2011). Targeting autophagy during cancer therapy to improve clinical outcomes. Pharmacol Ther, 131, 130-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pharmthera.2011.03.009
- Kim DH, Kim SM, Hyun JK et al (2013). Changes in postoperative recurrence and prognostic risk factors for patients with gastric cancer who underwent curative gastric resection during different time periods. Ann Surg Oncol, 20, 2317-27. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-012-2700-0
- Kimura T, Takabatake Y, Takahashi A, et al (2013). Chloroquine in cancer therapy: a double-edged sword of autophagy. Cancer Res, 73, 3-7.
- Mazzanti R, Platini F, Bottini C, et al (2009). Down-regulation of the HGF/MET autocrine loop induced by celecoxib and mediated by P-gp in MDR-positive human hepatocellular carcinoma cell line. Biochem Pharmacol, 78, 21-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcp.2009.03.013
- Maycotte P, Aryal S, Cummings CT, et al (2012). Chloroquine sensitizes breast cancer cells to chemotherapy independent of autophagy. Autophagy, 8, 200-12. https://doi.org/10.4161/auto.8.2.18554
- O'Donovan TR, O'Sullivan GC, McKenna SL (2011). Induction of autophagy by drug-resistant esophageal cancer cells promotes their survival and recovery following treatment with chemotherapeutics. Autophagy, 7, 509-24. https://doi.org/10.4161/auto.7.5.15066
- Pan X, Zhang X, Sun H, et al (2013). Autophagy inhibition promotes 5-fluorouraci-induced apoptosis by stimulating ROS formation in human non-small cell lung cancer A549 cells. PLoS One, 8, 56679. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0056679
- Pasini F, Fraccon AP and DE Manzoni G (2011). The role of chemotherapy in metastatic gastric cancer. Anticancer Res, 31, 3543-54.
- Selvakumaran M, et al (2013). Autophagy inhibition sensitizes colon cancer cells to antiangiogenic and cytotoxic therapy. Clin Cancer Res, 19, 2995-3007. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-12-1542
- Solomon VR, Lee H (2009). Chloroquine and its analogs: a new promise of an old drug for effective and safe cancer therapies. Eur J Pharmacol, 625, 220-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2009.06.063
- Sotelo J, Briceno E and Lopez-Gonzalez MA (2006). Adding chloroquine to conventional treatment for glioblastoma multiforme: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Ann Intern Med, 144, 337-43. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-144-5-200603070-00008
- Van CE, Moiseyenko VM, Tjulandin S, et al (2006). Phase III study of docetaxel and cisplatin plus fluorouracil compared with cisplatin and fluorouracil as first-line therapy for advanced gastric cancer: a report of the V325 Study Group. J Clin Oncol, 24, 4991-97. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.06.8429
- Wang T, Wang L, Qian X, et al (2011). Relationship between gene expression of 5-fluorouracil metabolic enzymes and 5-fluorouracil sensitivity in primary cancer cells isolated from malignant ascites. Cancer Invest, 29, 130-6. https://doi.org/10.3109/07357907.2010.535060
- Zhang HQ, He B, Fang N, et al (2013). Autophagy inhibition sensitizes Cisplatin cytotoxicity in human gastric cancer cell line sgc7901. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4685-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4685
- Expanding the Role of Chloroquine as a Potent Antineoplastic Agent in Different Gastrointestinal Malignancies vol.62, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1159/000455822
- Silencing DNA methyltransferase 1 leads to the activation of the esophageal suppressor gene p16 in vitro and in vivo vol.14, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2017.6535