- Volume 16 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Persian Version of Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy- Breast (FACT-B) Scale: Confirmatory Factor Analysis and Psychometric Properties
- Patoo, Mozhgan (Department of Psychology, Tarbiat Modares University) ;
- Allahyari, Abbas Ali (Department of Psychology, Tarbiat Modares University) ;
- Moradi, Ali Reza (Clinical Psychology, Kharazmi University) ;
- Payandeh, Mehrdad (Department of Hematology-Oncology, Kermanshah University of Medical Science)
- 발행 : 2015.05.18
Background: The Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy - Breast (FACT-B) scale is widely used to measure health-related quality of life in cancer patients. The aim of the present study is to validate the FACT-B in a sample of Iranian women with breast cancer. Materials and Methods: The sample consisted of 300 women selected through non-random convenient sampling procedure from oncology hospitals and clinics in Kermanshah and Shiraz cities. They were asked to fill in the Persian versions of the FACT-B scale, Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale, the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer quality of life EORTC QLQ30. Confirmatory factorial analysis of the methods, concurrent validity and discriminant, and Cronbach's alpha for internal consistency were applied. Results: Internal consistency using Cronbach's alpha was 0.63 to 0.93 for the subscales and 0.92 for the total scale. Significant correlations between FACT-B and other measures indicate that this scale had concurrent and discriminant validity. The values of fit indices were satisfactory. Conclusions: The Persian version of the FACT-B scale is valid and reliable and, therefore, the scale can be used in research and clinical settings to assess health-related quality of life in Iranian patients with breast cancer.
HRQoL;FACT-B scale;breast cancer;psychometric properties;Iran
- Aaronson NK et al (1993). The european organization for research and treatment of cancer QLQ-C30: a quality-of-life instrument for use in international clinical trials in oncology. J National Cancer Institute, 85, 365-76. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/85.5.365
- Akin S, Can G, Durna, Z, Aydiner A (2008). The quality of life and self-efficacy of Turkish breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 12, 449-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2008.07.006
- Brady MJ, Cella DF et al (1997). Reliability and validity of the Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy-Breast quality-of-life instrument. J Clin Oncol, 15, 974-86.
- Cella DF, Tulsky DS (1993). Quality of life in cancer: Definition, purpose, and method of measurement. Cancer Investigation, 11, 327-36. https://doi.org/10.3109/07357909309024860
- Cella DF (1997). FACIT manual: Manual of the Functional Assessment of Chronic Illness Therapy (FACIT) measurement system. CORE, Evanston.
- Cella DF, Tulsky DS, Gray G, et al (1993). The Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy scale: development and validation of the general measure. J Clin Oncol, 11, 570-9.
- Fayers P, Aaronson N, Bjordal K, et al (2001). EORTC QLQ-C30 scoring manual, EORTC Quality of Life Group 3rd edn. EORTC, Brussels, Belgium.
- Glangkarn S, Promasatayaprot V, Porock D, Edgley A (2011). Measuring quality of life in Thai women with breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 637-44
- Pandey M, Thomas BC, Ramdas K, Eremenco S, Nair MK (2002). Quality of life in breast cancer patients: Validation of a FACT-B Malayalam version. Qual Life Res, 11, 87-90. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1015083713014
- Manandhar S, Shrestha DS, Taechaboonsermsk P, Siri S, Suparp J (2014). Quality of life among breast cancer patients undergoing treatment in national cancer centers in Nepal. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9753-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.22.9753
- Montazeri A, Harirchi I, Vahdani M, et al (1999). The european organization for research and treatment of cancer quality of life questionnaire (EORTC QLQ-C30): translation and validation study of the Iranian version. Support Care Cancer, 7, 400-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s005200050300
- Montazeri A, Vahdaninia M, Ebrahimi M, Jarvandi S (2003). The Hospital anxiety and depression scale (HADS): translation and validation study of the Iranian version. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 1, 14. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-1-14
- Montazeri A (2008). Health-related quality of life in breast cancer patients: a bibliographic review of the literature from 1974 to 2007, J Experimental Clin Cancer Res, 27-32. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-9966-27-32
- Munoz M (2010). Quality of life during treatment in young women with breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 123, 75-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-010-1061-2
- Ramadas A, Qureshi AM, Dominic NA, et al (2015). Socio-demography and medical history as predictors of health-related quality of life of breast cancer survivors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 1479-85.
- Smith AB, Wright P, Selby PJ, Velikova G (2007).A Rasch and factor analysis of the Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy-General (FACT-G). Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 5, 19. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-5-19
- Victorson D, Barocas J, Song J, Cella D (2008). Reliability across studies from the functional assessment of cancer therapy-general (FACT-G) and its subscales: a reliability generalization. Qual Life Res, 17, 1137-46. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-008-9398-2
- Wan C. (2007). Validation of the simplified Chinese version of the FACT-B for measuring quality of life for patients with breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 106, 413-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-007-9511-1
- Yanez B, Pearman T, Lis CG, Beaumont JL, Cella D (2013). The FACT-G7: a rapid version of the functional assessment of cancer therapy-general (FACT-G) for monitoring symptoms and concerns in oncology practice and research. Ann Oncol, 24, 1073-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mds539
- Yoo HJ, Ahn SH, Eremenco S, et al (2005). Korean translation and validation of the functional assessment of cancer therapy-breast (FACT-B) scale version 4. Quality of Life Research, 14, 1627-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-004-7712-1
- Religious Coping and Quality of Life in Women with Breast Cancer vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7721
- Assessing health-related quality of life in patients with breast cancer: a systematic and standardized comparison of available instruments using the EMPRO tool vol.25, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-016-1284-8
- BC-PROM vol.96, pp.17, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000006781
- A Pharmacometric Analysis of Patient-Reported Outcomes in Breast Cancer Patients Through Item Response Theory vol.35, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11095-018-2403-8
- CHF-PROM: validation of a patient-reported outcome measure for patients with chronic heart failure vol.16, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12955-018-0874-2
- Psychometric Performance of the Arabic Versions of the Cancer Behavior Inventory-Brief and the Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy-Breast vol.42, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0000000000000572