- Volume 16 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
High Expression of Matrix Metalloproteinase-11 indicates Poor Prognosis in Human Cholangiocarcinoma
- Tongtawee, Taweesak (Department of surgery, Institute of Medicine, Suranaree University of Technology) ;
- Kaewpitoon, Soraya J (Department of Family and Community Medicine, Institute of Medicine, Suranaree University of Technology) ;
- Loyd, Ryan (Department of Family and Community Medicine, Institute of Medicine, Suranaree University of Technology) ;
- Chanvitan, Supachai (Department of Surgery, Rajvithi Hospital) ;
- Leelawat, Kawin (Department of Surgery, Rajvithi Hospital) ;
- Praditpol, Niphol (Immunohistochemistry Section, Rajvithi Hospital) ;
- Jujinda, Supathip (Department of Surgery, Rajvithi Hospital) ;
- Kaewpitoon, Natthawut (Parasitic Disease Research Unit, Institute of Medicine, Suranaree University of Technology)
- Published : 2015.05.18
Background: Cholangiocarcinoma (CHCA) is serious public health problem in Thailand, especially in the northeastern and northern regions. CHCA is known as one of the most aggressive malignant tumors associated with local invasion and a high rate of metastasis. A crucial step in the invasion process is the proteolytic degradation of the extracellular matrix (ECM) and basal membranes, for which several studies have shown a critical role played by matrix metalloproteinase-11 (MMP-11). Objective: This study aim to detect MMP-11 expression in CHCA specimens and any correlation with survival time. Materials and Methods: A retrospective analysis was conducted of 30 patients with CHCA in Rajvithi hospital, who had undergone immunohistochemical staining of MMP-11. Relationships between clinicopathological data and MMP-11 expression in CHCA specimens were analyzed by the
- Akamatsu N, Sugawara Y, Hashimoto D (2011). Surgical strategy for bile duct cancer: advances and current limitations. World J Clin Oncol, 10, 94-107.
- Amalinei C, Caruntu ID, Giusca SE, et al (2010). Matrix metalloproteinases involvement in pathologic conditions. Rom J Morphol Embryol, 51, 215-28.
- Basset P, Bellocq JP, Wolf C, et al (1990). A novel Metalloproteinase gene specifically expressed in stromal cells of breast carcinomas. Nature, 348, 699-704. https://doi.org/10.1038/348699a0
- Basset P, Wolf C, Chambon P (1993). Expression of the stromelysin-3 gene in fibroblastic cells of invasive carcinomas of the breast and other human tissues: a review. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 24, 185-93. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01833259
- Basset P, Wolf C, Rouyer N, et al (1994). Stromelysin-3 in stromal tissue as a control factor in breast cancer behavior. Cancer, 74, 1045-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19940801)74:3+<1045::AID-CNCR2820741511>3.0.CO;2-7
- Bourboulia D, Stetler-Stevenson WG (2010). Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases (TIMPs): Positive and negative regulators in tumor cell adhesion. Semin Cancer Biol, 20, 161-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semcancer.2010.05.002
- Brasse D, Mathelin C, Leroux K, et al (2010). Matrix metalloproteinase 11/stromelysin-3 exerts both activator and repressor functions during the hematogenous metastatic process in mice. Int J Cancer, 127, 1347-55. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25309
- Curran S, Murray GI (1999). Matrix metalloproteinases in tumour invasion and metastasis. J Pathol, 189, 300-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9896(199911)189:3<300::AID-PATH456>3.0.CO;2-C
- Delany AM, Canalis E (2001). The metastasis-associated metalloproteinase stromelysin-3 is induced by transforming growth factor-beta in osteoblasts and fibroblasts. Endocrinology, 142, 1561-6.
- Deng H, Guo RF, Li WM, et al (2005). Matrix metalloproteinase 11 depletion inhibits cell proliferation in gastric cancer cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 326, 274-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2004.11.027
- Fromigue O, Louis K, Wu E, et al (2003). Active stromelysin-3 (MMP-11) increases MCF-7 survival in three-dimensional Matrigel culture via activation of p42/p44 MAP-kinase. Int J Cancer, 106, 355-63. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.11232
- Gialeli C, Theocharis AD, Karamanos NK (2011). Roles of matrix metalloproteinases in cancer progression and their pharmacological targeting. FEBS J, 278, 16-27. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-4658.2010.07919.x
- Green A, Uttaravichien T, Bhudhisawasdi V, et al (1991). Cholangiocarcinoma in north east Thailand. A hospital-based study. Trop Geogr Med, 43, 193-8.
- IARC (1994). Infection with liver flukes (Opisthorchis viverrini, Opisthorchis felineus and Clonrochis sinensis). IARC Monogr Eval Carcinog Risks of Hum, 61, 121-75.
- Kaewpitoon N, Kaewpitoon SJ, Pengsaa P, et al (2008). Opisthorchis viverrini: the carcinogenic human liver fluke. World J Gastroenterol, 7, 666-74.
- Keeratichamroen S, Leelawat K, Thongtawee T, et al (2011). Expression of CD24 in cholangiocarcinoma cells is associated with disease progression and reduced patient survival. Int J Oncol, 39, 873-81.
- Linder C, Engel G, Auer G, et al (1997). Distribution of stromelysin-3 mRNA transcripts and microvessels in human breast carcinomas. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 42, 207-13. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005769622570
- Noel AC, Lefebvre O, Maquoi E, Vet al (1996). Stromelysin-3 expression promotes tumor take in nude mice. J Clin Invest, 97, 1924-30. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI118624
- Nonsrijun N, Mitchai J, Brown K, et al (2013). Expression of MMP-11 is significantly associated with survival in prostatic adenocarcinoma. High levels may potentially be used for prediction of a poor prognosis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3331-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3331
- Peruzzi D, Mori F, Conforti A, et al (2009). MMP11: a novel target antigen for cancer immunotherapy. Clin Cancer Res, 15, 4104-13. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-3226
- Rouyer N, Wolf C, Chenard MP, et al (1994). Stromelysin-3 gene expression in human cancer: an overview. Invasion Metastasis, 14, 269-75.
- Shin HR, Oh JK, Masuyer E, et al (2010). Epidemiology of cholangiocarcinoma: an update focusing on risk factors. Cancer Sci, 101, 579-85. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01458.x
- Sripa B, Kaewkes S, Sithithaworn P, Met al (2007). Liver fluke induces cholangiocarcinoma. PLoS Med, 4, e201. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0040201
- Thamavit W, Bhamarapravati N, Sahaphong S, et al (1978). Effects of dimethylnitrosamine on induction of cholangiocarcinoma in Opisthorchis viverrini-infected Syrian golden hamsters. Cancer Res, 38, 4634-9.
- Thunyaharn N, Promthet S, Wiangnon S, Set al (2013). Survival of cholangiocarcinoma patients in northeastern Thailand after supportive treatment. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7029-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.14.11.7029
- Zhao ZS, Chu YQ, Ye ZY, et al (2010). Overexpression of matrix metalloproteinase 11 in human gastric carcinoma and its clinicopathologic significance. Hum Pathol, 41, 686-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humpath.2009.10.010
- Expression of Matrix Metalloproteinase-10 at Invasive Front of Squamous Cell Carcinoma and Verrucous Carcinoma in the Oral Cavity vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6609
- Prognostic biomarkers for cholangiocarcinoma and their clinical implications vol.18, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/14737140.2018.1467760