- Volume 51 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Studies on the setting a fishing restricted area of Jeju special self-governing province
제주특별자치도의 낚시 통제구역 설정에 관한 연구
- KOO, Myung-Sung (College of Ocean sciences, Jeju National University) ;
- KIM, Suk-Jong (College of Ocean sciences, Jeju National University)
- Received : 2015.08.07
- Accepted : 2015.08.26
- Published : 2015.08.31
As a series of research plan, this study is to provide basic data necessary for the development of fishing industry which will contribute in establishing sound fishing culture in Jeju island through systematic management of fishing, protection of fishery resources and establishment of safety measures for fishermen in accordance with 'Fishing Management and Support Act'. To attain the proposed objective, this study conducted literature review and surveys on restriction standards of harmful substances generated from fishing equipment and baits, examined the current status of fishing management in popular fishing sites of other cities, and then reviewed and analyzed the fishing management and fishing-restriction zones in Jeju island. The survey on the opinions on the restriction criteria of fishing methods, tools and period, including the acceptable standards for harmful substances showed that general fishermen preferred 'alleviating the measure (44.8%)' to 'aggravating the measure (23.0%)'. Meanwhile, maritime police showed dominant opinion toward 'aggravating the restriction (52.2%)' over 'alleviating the measure (4.3%)'. Furthermore, fishing-related enterprise is favored 'aggravating the restriction (32.6%)' over 'alleviating the measure (27.9%)'. In the survey on the tolerance of fishing baits including criterion for content of certain substance in different types of bait, it showed 57.5% of general fishermen preferred alleviating restriction criteria while 20.7% of them favored tougher restriction. Whereas, 33.3% of maritime police group insisted such fishing baits should be more restricted while 16.7% answered it should be alleviated. 35.9% of fishing-related enterprise was in favor of alleviation while 14.3% preferred aggravation. Upon investigation on the status of fishing management in other cities and towns, it turned out that most of them had safety and convenience facilities, installed warning and guide signs in fishing sites, and set no fishing zones. The review of fishing management and restricted area showed that 10 sites required access restriction and 2 of 10 sites were considered to be partially restricted for weather and season. 82 fishing sites were regarded as unnecessary to be restricted and installation of safety facility and guide signs is necessary for the safety of fishermen.
Fishing management and support act;Restrict of fishing equipment and bait;Setting a restricted area
Supported by : 제주대학교
- JSGP(Jeju special self-governing province). 2013a. Current status of maritime affairs and fisheries, Fisheries policy division, 3-4.
- JSGP(Jeju special self-governing province). 2013b. Research report of setting a restricted area and fishing management of Jeju self-governing province. Fisheries policy division, 4-30.
- Kim SJ. 2010. Suggested points and legislation promoting trends of The act of recreational fishing management and development, Fish pol res 5, KMI, Youngjin Publishing Co, Seoul, Korea, 57-76.
- KMI. 2005. A study on income increase of fishery households and economy revitalization of fishing villages through leports-fishing development, KMI. 17-18.
- KMI. 2011. Measures for added-value creation of the Korean recreational fishing industry, Chri communication, Seoul, Korea, 219-228.
- Koo MS and Kim SJ. 2014. Studies on the setting a restricted area and recreation fishing management of Jeju special self-governing province. J Kor Soc Fish Technol 50, 385-395. (http://dx.doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.3.385) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.3.385
- Lee K. 2012. 'The act on recreational fishing management and development' and fishing license system, JSEL 15(4), 161-186.
- MF21. 2012. Monthly fishing 21, Kang ma-eul, Seoul, 142-169.
- MOLIT. 2009. Research on the actual condition and preparing a management plan on uninhabited island of Jeju special self-governing province, Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs, 1-525.
- A Study on Support and Measures for Development of Fishing Industry in Jeju Special Self-Governing Province vol.30, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2018.06.30.3.991