- Volume 51 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Efficient eliminating methods of noises imbedded acoustic signals
음향 신호에 내재된 잡음의 효율적인 소거 방법
- PARK, Junseong (Department of Maritime Police and Production System/Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- LEE, Jeong-Hoon (Southeast Fisheries Research Institute, National Fisheries Research and Development Institute) ;
- KIM, Doo Nam (Southeast Fisheries Research Institute, National Fisheries Research and Development Institute) ;
- PARK, Yeongguel (Department of Maritime Police and Production System/Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- JANG, Choong-Sik (Department of Maritime Police and Production System/Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- PARK, Byung-Soo (Department of Maritime Police and Production System/Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- KANG, Myounghee (Department of Maritime Police and Production System/Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University)
- 박준성 (경상대학교 해양경찰시스템학과/해양산업연구소) ;
- 이정훈 (국립수산과학원 남동해수산연구소) ;
- 김두남 (국립수산과학원 남동해수산연구소) ;
- 박영글 (경상대학교 해양경찰시스템학과/해양산업연구소) ;
- 장충식 (경상대학교 해양경찰시스템학과/해양산업연구소) ;
- 박병수 (경상대학교 해양경찰시스템학과/해양산업연구소) ;
- 강명희 (경상대학교 해양경찰시스템학과/해양산업연구소)
- Received : 2015.08.06
- Accepted : 2015.08.25
- Published : 2015.08.31
The hydro-acoustic technology has been widely used in not only South Korea but also many foreign countries for various scientific purposes. Unfortunately acoustic data especially collected from field surveys may contain noises caused by a variety of sources. Therefore, it is exceedingly important to eliminate noises when acoustic data are analyzed to derive quantitative results. This study introduced two methods for eliminating noises easily and effectively using post-processing software. Used acoustic data were collected on the Jinhae bay and Tongyeong coast of the South Sea in April 2015. The first method, that is the Wang's method, placed emphasis on 'erosion filter' to eliminate only data samples contaminated by noises. The second method (Yamandu's method) focused on the 'resample by number of pings' to remove pings contained noises. To substantiate the effectiveness of two methods, the mean Sv (Volume backscattering strength), mean height and depth of the fish schools detected were compared between before and after using the noise elimination methods. In the Wang's method the mean Sv was decreased from -52.4 dB to -52.9 dB, and in the Yamandu's method from -52.6 dB to -53.3 dB, indicating that noises were successfully eliminated. The mean height (1.5 m) and depth (19.0 m) were same between before and after using two methods showing that the shapes of fish schools were not changed.
Noise;Noise elimination;Echo signal;Echosounder
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- Echoview. 2015. Help file 6.1.12 for Echoview. http://support.echoview.com/WebHelp/Echoview.htm
- Hwang BK. 2015. Morphological properties and target strength characteristics for dark banded rockfish (Sebastes inermis). J Kor Fish Tech 51(1), 120-127. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.1.120
- ICES. 2007. Collection of acoustic data from fishing vesssels. ICES Cooperative research report 287, 23-29.
- Kang DH, Shin HC, Kim SA, Lee YH and Hwang DJ. 2003. Species identification and noise cancellation using volume backscattering strength difference of multi-frequency. J Kor Fish Soc 36(5), 541-548.
- Kang MH. 2012. Acoustic method for discriminating plankton from fish in lake Dom Helvecio of Brazil using time varied threshold. J Kor Fish Tech 48(4), 495-503. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.4.495
- Kang MH, Seo YI, Oh TY, Lee KH and Jang CS. 2015. Estimating the biomass of anchovy species off the coast of Tongyeong and Yeosu in the South Korea in the spring and winter of 2013 and 2014. J Kor Fish Tech 51(1), 86-93. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.1.086
- Kang MH, Yoon GB, Choi YM and Kim JK. 1996. Hydro acoustic investigations on the distribution characteristics of the an chovy at the south region of east sea. Bull Korean Soc Fish Tech 32(1), 16-23.
- Lee DJ. 2013. Monitoring of fish aggregations responding to artificial reefs using a split-beam echo sounders, side-scan sonar, and an underwater cctv camera system at Suyeong man, Busan, Korea. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 46(3), 266-272.
- Lee HB, Kang DH, Im YJ and Lee KH. 2014. Distribution and abundance of Japanese anchovy Engraulis japonicas and other fishes in Asan bay, Korea, estimated hydroacoustic survey. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 47(5), 671-681.
- Lee SJ, Lee YW, Kim JI, Oh TY, Hwang BK, Kim BY and Lee KH. 2010. Target strength estimation of dominant species in marine ranching ground of Jeju coastal water by KRM model. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 46(2), 157-163. (doi: 10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.2.157) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.2.157
- Oh TY, Kim JI, Seo YI, Lee SK, Hwang DJ, Kim EH, Yoon EA and Jeong SB. 2009. Comparison of geostatistic and acoustic estimates of anchovy biomass around the Tongyeong inshore area. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 42(3), 290-296.
- De Robertis A and Higginbottom I. 2007. A post processing technique to estimate the signal to noise ratio and remove echosouder background noise. ICES J Mar Sci 64, 1282-1291. https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsm112
- Simmonds EJ and MacLennan DN. 2005. Fisheries acoustics: Theory and Practice, 2nd edn. Blackwell, Oxford.
- Wang XL, Zhao XY and Zhang JC. 2015. A noise removal algorithm for acoustic data with strong interference based on post-processing techniques. CCAMLR Science.
- Yoon EA, Hwang DJ, Kim HS, Lee SJ and Lee SK. 2014. Acoustic observation of the behavior of fish in an artificial reef. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 50(2), 124-130. (doi: 10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.2.124) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.2.124
- Zhang J, Chen GB, Chen PM, Yu J and Fan JT. 2013. Impact of substracting 'Time varied gain background noise' (TVGBN) on estimates of fisheries resources derived from post processing acoustic data. J Appl Ichthyol 29, 1468-1472. https://doi.org/10.1111/jai.12364
- An acoustic and trawl pilot survey using a small vessel in Jinhae bay of the South Sea of South Korea vol.52, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2016.52.1.024
- Comparison of Echogram Analysis Methods for Evaluating the Sound-scattering Layer vol.49, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2016.0856