- Volume 51 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Size selectivity of a dome-shaped pot for Morotoge shrimp Pandalopsis japonica in the eastern coastal waters of Korea
통발에 대한 물렁가시붉은새우 (Pandalopsis japonica)의 망목 선택성
- PARK, Chang-Doo (Fisheries System Engineering Division, NFRDI) ;
- CHO, Sam-Kwang (Fisheries System Engineering Division, NFRDI) ;
- BAE, Jae-Hyun (Aquaculture Industry Division, East Sea Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI) ;
- KIM, Hyun-Young (Research & Development Planning Division, NFRDI) ;
- CHA, Bong-Jin (Fisheries System Engineering Division, NFRDI)
- 박창두 (국립수산과학원 시스템공학과) ;
- 조삼광 (국립수산과학원 시스템공학과) ;
- 배재현 (국립수산과학원 동해수산연구소) ;
- 김현영 (국립수산과학원 연구기획과) ;
- 차봉진 (국립수산과학원 시스템공학과)
- Received : 2015.07.31
- Accepted : 2015.08.25
- Published : 2015.08.31
Morotoge shrimp Pandalopsis japonica is caught by pot and others in the eastern coastal waters of Korea. Comparative fishing experiments were carried out in the eastern coast of Korea, using the dome-shaped pots with different five mesh sizes (17.1, 24.8, 35.3, 39.8, and 48.3 mm) in order to estimate the mesh selectivity of the pot for the morotoge shrimp, Pandalopsis japonica. The SELECT (Share Each Length's Catch Total) analysis method was applied to the catch data. The master selection curve of the pot for the shrimp was estimated to be s(R) = exp(15.770R-10.573)/[1+exp(15.770R-10.753)], where R is the ratio of carapace length to mesh size. From the selection curves, the carapace lengths of 50% retention were 11.6, 17.0, 23.9, and 34.1 mm for 17, 25, 35, and 50 mm mesh-size pot, respectively. It means that the pots of larger mesh size allow more shrimp of small size to escape.
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- Miyajima T, Yagishita N, Yamasaki A and Tokai T. 2012. Mesh selectivity of Danish seine for Japanese sand fish Arctoscopusjaponicus. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 78, 27-36. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.78.27
- Miyake S. 1982. Japanese crustacean decapods and stomatopods in color. Vol 1, Hoikusya, Oosaka, 64-65. (in Japanese with scientific name).
- National Fisheries Research & Development Institute. 2008. Fishing Gear of Korea. Hangul Graphics, Busan, 104-130.
- National Fisheries Research and Development Institute (NFRDI). 2001. Shrimps of the Korean Waters. Hanguel Graphics, Busan, 134-135. (in Korean with scientific name).
- Nishiuchi S. 2003. A study on size-selectivity of hair crab pots. Sci Rep Hokkaido Fish Exp Stn 64, 1-103.
- Park CD, Jeong EC, Shin JK, An HC, and Fujimori Y. 2004. Mesh selectivity of encircling gill net for gizzard shad Konosirus punctatus in the coastal sea of Korea. Fish Sci 70, 553-560. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2004.00840.x
- Park CD, Park HH and Kim JN. 2011. Size selectivity of a shrimp beam trawl for the Southern rough shrimp Trachysalambria curvirostris with the Extended SELECT Method. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 44(4), 390-396. (doi: 10.5657/KFAS.2011.0390) https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2011.0390
- Park CD, Bae JH, Cho SK, Cha BJ and Kim HY. 2013. Size selectivity of the dome-shaped pot for whelk Buccinum opisthoplectum in the eastern coastal waters of Korea. J Kor Soc Fish Technol. 49(4), 368-376. (doi: 10.3796/KSFT.2013.49.4.368) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2013.49.4.368
- Park CD, Bae JH, Cho SK, and Kim IO. 2014. Mesh selectivity of a dome-shaped pot for Finely-striate buccinum Buccinum striatissimum in the eastern coastal waters of Korea. J Kor Soc Fish Technol. 50(3), 284-291. (10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.3.284). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.3.284
- Saiura K. and Tokai T. 2003. Mesh selectivity of boat seine fisheries for anchovy larvae on pocket-nets experiment. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 69(4), 611-619. (in Japanese with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.69.611
- Saiura K., Mori K. and Tokai T. 2006. Mesh selectivity of boat seine codend for anchovy larvae and juveniles. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 72(3), 414-423. (in Japanese with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.72.414
- Tokai T., Ito H, Masaki Y., and Kitahara T. 1990. Mesh selectivity curves of a shrimp beam trawl for sourthern rough shrimp Trachypenaeus curvirostris and mantis shrimp Oratosquilla oratoria. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 1990, 56(8), 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.56.1231
- Treble RJ, Millar RB and Walker TI. 1998. Size selectivity of lobster pots with escape-gaps : application of SELECT method to the southern rock lobster (Jasusedwardsii) fishery in Victoria, Australia. Fish Res 34, 289-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(97)00072-6
- Millar RB and Fryer RJ. 1999. Estimating the size-selection curves of towed gears, traps, nets and hooks. Rev Fish Biol Fish 9, 89-116. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008838220001
- Millar RB and Walsh DJ. 1992. Analysis of trawl selectivity studies with an application to trouser trawls. Fish Res 13, 205-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7836(92)90077-7
- Uchida K, Tokai T, Mitsuhashi T, Fuxiang H, Matuda K. 2000. Size selectivity of net-pot for white-spotted conger eel estimated from paired-gear tests with change in sampling. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 66: 228-235. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.66.228
- Watanabe T. 2005. Simulated ghost fishing experiment on size selectivity of red queen crab traps. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi1 71, 16-23. (in Japanese with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.71.16
- Watanabe T and Yamasaki S. 2006. Size selectivity of the red queen crab trap estimated with pocket cages. Tech Rept Nat Res Inst Fish Eng 28, 1-11.
- Wileman DA, Ferro RST, Fonteyne R and Millar RB. 1996. Manual of methods of measuring the selectivity of towed fishing gears. ICES Cooperative research report No. 215, 1-126.
- Yamashita H, Shiode D and Tokai T. 2009. Longline hook selectivity for red tilefish Branchiostegus japonicus in the East China Sea. Fish Sci 75, 863-874. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12562-009-0115-z
- Boutson A, Mahasawasde C, Mahasawasde S, Tunkijjanukij S and Aromoto T. 2009. Use of escape vents to improve size and species selectivity of collapsible pot for blue swimming crab Portunus pelagicus in Thailand. Fish Sci 75, 25-33. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12562-008-0010-z
- Fogarty M and Borden D. 1980. Effects of trap venting on gear selectivity in the inshore Rhode Island American lobster, Homarus Americanus, fishery. Fish Bull 77(4), 925-933.
- Fujimori Y., Tokai T. 2001. Estimation of gill net selectivity curves by maximum likelihood method. Fish Sci 67, 644-654. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1444-2906.2001.00301.x
- Harada M, Tokai T, Kimura M, Hu F, Shimizu T. 2007. Size selectivity of escape-holes on conger eel-tube for the inshore hagfish Eptatretus burgeri and the white-spotted conger eel Conger myriaster in Tokyo Bay. Fish Sci 73, 477-488. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2007.01360.x
- Hong, S. Y. 2006. Marine invertebrates in Korean coasts. Academy Publishing Company, Inc., Seoul, p. 340. (in Korean with scientific name).
- Jeong EC, Kim SK, Park CD, Shin JK, and Tokai T. 1999. Size-selectivity of hole on tubular-pot for white spotted conger eel Conger myriaster in the adjacent sea of Korea. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi1, 65, 260-267. (in Japanese with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.65.260
- Akaike H. 1974. A new look at the statistical model identification. IEEE Trans Autom Contr AC-19, 716-723.
- An HC, Bae JH, Park JM, Hong SE, and Kim SH. 2014. Bycatch and discards of the whelk trap in the Uljin waters, East Sea. J Kor Soc Fish Technol. 50(4), 520-529. (10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.4.520). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.4.520
- Jeong EC, Park CD, Park SW, Lee JH, and Tokai T. 2000. Size selectivity of trap for male red queen crab Chionoecetes japonicus with the extended SELECT model. Fish Sci 66, 494-501. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1444-2906.2000.00079.x
- Jirapunpipat K, Phomikong P, Yokota M and Watanabe S. 2008. The effect of escape vents in collapsible pots on catch and size of the mud crab Scylla. Fish Res 94, 73-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2008.06.018
- Kim DH, Choi JH, Kim JN, Cha HK, Oh TY, Kim DS, and Han CH. 2006. Gonad and androgenic gland development in relation to sexual morphology in Pandalopsis japonica Balss, 1914 (Decapoda, Pandalidae). Crustaceana 79, 541-554. https://doi.org/10.1163/156854006777584269
- Kim SH, Lee JH, and Kim HS. 2008. Size selectivity by alter the slope length and angle of coonstripe shrimp (Pandalus hypsinotus Brandt) pot using in Hokkaido, Japan. J Kor Soc Fish Technol. 44(4), 273-281. (10.3796/KSFT.2008.44.4.273). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2008.44.4.273
- Kim SH, Lee JH, Kim HS, and Park SW. 2010. Optimal design of escape vent for the dome type coonstripe shrimp (Pandalus hypsinotus) pot. J Kor Soc Fish Technol. 46(2), 115-125. (10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.2.115). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.2.115
- Kim I.-O., Mituhasi T, Jo T.-H., Park C.-D., and Tokai T. 2005. Effect of tooth spacing on the contact selection and available selection of a dredge for the equilateral Venus clam Gomphina melanaegis. Fish Sci 71, 713-720. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2005.01020.x
- Kwon ON, Lim MS, and Park KY. 2014. Effects of three diets on the larval growth of Pandalid shrimp Pandalopsis japonica. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci. 47(5), 562-566.