- Volume 51 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Model test to understand shape change of BRD (Bycatch Reduction Device) for demersal trawl of Argentina
유속에 따른 아르헨티나 저층트롤어구 혼획저감장치의 형상변화 모형실험
- CHA, Bong-Jin (Fisheries System Engineering Division, National Fisheries Research & Development Institute) ;
- ROTH, Ricardo (Fishing Gear Development, Methods of Capture and Technology Transference Program, National Institute for Fishery Research and Development) ;
- CHO, Sam-Kang (Fisheries System Engineering Division, National Fisheries Research & Development Institute)
- Received : 2015.08.09
- Accepted : 2015.08.25
- Published : 2015.08.31
The 1/5 scale-down model of the Bycatch Reduction Device (BRD) from an Argentinean demersal trawl was tested in a circulating water channel. The BRD is designed to help small Hake (merluza, merluccius hubbsi) to escape from a trawl. It is settled in front of a trawl codend, and is equipped with selection grids that help small fish to escape from the gear and guiding panels that help fish to meet with the grids. Bars of the grids are wires covered by the PVC and other parts of the BRD are made of net. When the velocity was less than 0.65 m/sec (2.81 Kont when translated to real towing speed) which is slow speed compared with real towing speed, position between an upper guiding panel and an upper selection grid were good to help small fish to escape. When the velocity was more than 0.8 m/sec (3.41 Knot when translated to real towing speed) which is similar to and faster than real towing speed, it was considered that small fish may have difficulties in escaping because the gap was not enough between an upper guiding panel and an upper selection grid. The lower selection grid was sat on the bottom of the tank without an angle due to the weight that it carries. Improvements were proposed to position the panels and the grids better.
BRD (Bycatch Reduction Device);Trawl;Circulate Water channel;Model Test
Supported by : NFRDI
- 장지원, 서두옥. 1982. 어구공학. 신한출판사, 61-72
- Angel S and Lilleng D. 2001. New type of size selective system made of plastic and rubber: The flexigrid. Technical regulations and by-catch criteria in the Barents Sea fisheries, 108-113.
- Cho SK, An HC, Shin JK, Yang YS and Park CD. 2005. Study on the development of trawl escapement device. J Kor Soc Fish Technol 41(4), 241-247. (doi:10.3796/ksft.2005.41.4.241) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2005.41.4.241
- Cho SK, Shin JK, Cha BJ and Yang YS. 2008. Development of a trawl escapement net using net material. J Kor Soc Fish Technol 44(3), 165-173. (doi:10.3796/ksft.2008.44.3.165) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2008.44.3.165
- Coreil PD. 1985. Trawling efficiency device acceptance and use by Louisiana commercial shrimpers. Int Symp on kemp s Ridley Sea Turtle Biology, Conservation and Management, Galveston, TX(USA), 1-4.N.
- Rogers DR, Rogers BD, de Silva JA, Wright VL and Watson JW. 1997. Evaluation of shrimp trawls equipped with bycatch reduction devices in inshore waters of Louisiana. Fish Res 33, 55-72. (doi:10.1016/s0165-7836(97)00060-x) https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(97)00060-X
- Eayrs S. 2007. A guide to bycatch reduction in Tropical shrimp-trawl fisheries. FAO, p124.
- Isaksen B, Vademarsen JW, Larsen RB and Karlsen L. 1992. Reduction of fish by-catch in shrimp trawl using a rigid separator grid in the aft belly. Fish Res 13, 335-352. (doi:10.1016/0165-7836(92)90086-9) https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7836(92)90086-9
- Jang CS, Cho YH and An YS. 2014. Opening efficiency and selectivity of Double-level type and Grid type in the shrimp beam trawl net. J Kor Soc Fish Technol 50(3), 241-247. (doi:10.3796/ksft.2014.50.3.351) https://doi.org/10.3796/ksft.2014.50.3.351
- Kim IO, An HC, Shin JK and Cha BJ. 2008. The development of basic structure of jellyfish separator system for a trawl net. J Kor Soc Fish Technol 44(2), 1-8. (doi:10.3796/ksft.2008.44.2.099) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2008.44.1.001
- Kim SH, Lee DG, Lim JH and Park SW. 2015. Model test on the net mouth shape of a gape net according to current seeds in Jindo area, Korea. J Kor Soc Fish Technol 51(1), 1-8. (doi:10.3796/ksft.2008.44.2.099) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.1.001
- Kendall D. 1990. Shrimp retention characteristics of the Morrison Soft TED: a selective webbing exclusion panel inserted in a shrimp trawl net. Fish Res 9, 13-21. (doi:10.1016/0165-7836(90)90037-v) https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7836(90)90037-V
- Lossius LL. 1997. Size selection of Northern shrimp(Pandalus borealis) by metal sorting grids in the shrimp trawls. Cand Scient theis in Fisheries biology, University of Bergen, p82.
- Madsen N and Hansen KE. 2001. Danish experiments with a grid system tested in the North Sea shrimp fishery. Fish Res 52, 203-216. (doi:10.1016/s0165-7836(00)00234-4) https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(00)00234-4
- Matsushita Y, Honda N and Kawamura S. 2005. Design and tow trial of JET(Jellyfish Excluder for Towed fishing gear). Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 71(6), 965-967. (doi:10.2331/suisan.71.965) https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.71.965
- Mitchell JF, Watson JW, Foster DG and Caylor RE. 1995. The turtle excluder device(TED): A guide to better performance. NOAA Tech Memo NMFS-SEFSC-336, NMFS Mississippi Laboratory, Pascagoula: 35.
- Polet H, Coenjaerts J and Varschoore R. 2004. Evaluation of the sieve net as a selectivity-improving device in the Belgian brown shrimp (Crangon crangon) fishery. Fish Res 69(1), 35-48. (doi:10.1016/j.fishres.2004.04.007) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2004.04.007
- Robert WH and Stephen AJ. 2007. Effectiveness of bycatch reduction devices (BRDs) in the ocean shrimp (Pandalus jordani) trawl fishery. Fish Res 85(1-2), 217-225. (doi:10.1016/j.fishres.2006.12.010) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2006.12.010
- Monthly changes in the rate of bycatch fishes and their immature ratio caught by gape net with wings in the coast of Yeosu and Jindo Island, Korea vol.52, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2016.52.1.072