- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Recognition towards oral health care and plaque removal in the elderly people
노인인구의 구강건강 및 치석제거 인식도 조사
- Received : 2015.04.16
- Accepted : 2015.08.12
- Published : 2015.08.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the awareness toward oral health and plaque removal in the elderly people in Korea. Methods: An interview method was carried out to 308 elderly people from a senior welfare facility in Mokpo, Jeonnam from May 1 to December 30, 2011 after receiving informed consents. Except 4 incomplete answers, data were analyzed using SPSS 18.0 program. The questionnaire consisted of demographical characteristics of the subjects, experience of plaque removal, recognition towards plaque removal, and correlation to systemic diseases. Results: Most of the elderly people experiences plaque removal(63.4%) and 55.9% had revisit intention. Those having plaque removal accounted for 47.8% and they had good subjective oral health recognition. Those not having plaque removal accounted for 61.8% and 61.8% having average systemic health condition and 53.3% having poor oral health recognition. The plaque removal was closely related to subjective oral health recognition. Conclusions: It is necessary to develop the preventive oral health program for the elderly people. The plaque removal in the elderly people is the most important services to prevent the systemic diseases including hypertension, arthritis, diabetes, nervous disease, and gastrointestinal diseases.
elderly people;oral health care;plaque removal;recognition
- Statistics Korea. Korea Statiscal Information System(KOSIS), Statistics DB, Old age proportion 2012[Internet]. [cited 2013 Oct 11]. Available from: http://kostat.go./kr/wnsearch/search.jsp.
- Lee YK, Han HJ. Oral health knowledge and oral health of the elderly in the study of behavior. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(3): 189-95. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.1.189
- Lim HJ. Some metropolitan areas in the old man's subjective factors affecting oral health awareness. J Korean Soc Hyg Sic 2012; 12(1): 47-55. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.1.047
- Kwon HS, Kwang HK, Kwon HM, Kim RY, Kim MA, Kim JS, et al. Oral health education. 3rd ed. Seoul: 2010: 274-5.
- Min BK, Lee GS. Community oral health survey of the elderly. J Dongnam Health Univ 2003; 21(1): 85-102.
- Jong MH, Kwon MY, Kim YS. Some people with diabetes-related oral health and Conditions. J Korean Soc Hyg Sic 2009; 9(5): 571-7.
- Kwon HK, Kim BI, Chio H, Chio YH. Free basic living demand target elderly nursing home resident oral health status. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2002; 26(4): 555-66.
- Kim KR. Senior oral health survey of korea[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2001.
- Youn JA. Life protected oral health survey of the elderly[Master's Thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2001.
- Cheon SY, Won BY. Part of workers awareness of oral health knowledge and scaling. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(1): 1-11.
- Park JR, Kim HJ. 65 years or older oral health care needs of the oral health impact factor. J Korean Soc Hyg Sic 2011; 11(6): 961-71.
- Lee EK, Park JH, Park JR, Park JY. Rural residents in OHIP-14 and EQ-5D study. 2011; 12(2): 197-209.
- Kang YJ, Lyim JH, Song GN, Kim JH. Oral anesthesia during scaling degree of pain relief solution. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(3): 495-501. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.3.495
- Joe MS. Scaling the patient's oral health education effect on physician satisfaction, and re-admission[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Dankuk, 2012.
- Jang KA, Kim DY. Busan Gyeongnam elderly oral health, oral health behavior and subjective perception survey. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2008; 8(4): 1-10.
- Kim EJ, Koo MG, Lee SM. Hitting the public's oral health awareness and perception Semarang. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008; 10(1): 29-38.
- Lee HS, Lee KH. Oral prophylaxis oral health of the public awareness and perception survey. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(4): 561-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.561. https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.561
- Related factors of preventive behavior experiences toward dental caries and periodontal disease in Korean adolescents vol.16, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.03.417
- Relationship between the activities of daily living, oral health-related quality of life and dementia vol.18, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/ggi.13305