- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Wearing Conditions of Outdoor Jacket for Senior Men and Research for Actual Product Size of Outdoor Brands
시니어 남성의 아웃도어 재킷착용실태 및 아웃도어 브랜드 제품치수조사
- Kwon, Jeongho (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Pusan National University) ;
- Jung, Hee-Kyeong (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Jeong-Ran (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles/Research Institute of Elderly, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2015.05.12
- Accepted : 2015.07.25
- Published : 2015.08.31
This study analyzes the wearing and purchasing conditions of outdoor jackets by senior men who are over 50s, and examines product sizes of outdoor jackets in the market. A total of 134 questionnaires and sizing systems (or product size) of 10 outdoor brands were used as analytical data. The results were: a high number of senior men enjoyed hiking as an outdoor activity, with most of them following this activity1-3 times per month and as a preferred personal activity for over 5 years. Most needed outdoor wear suitable for these daily life activities. Outdoor wear satisfaction tends to decrease as people age. The major reason for the dissatisfaction with outdoor wear was price. Senior men aged 50s and 60s emphasize design and color when purchasing outdoor wear; however, men in their 70s considered price a priority. Senior men preferred outdoor brands based on a comfortable fit. An investigation on 10 outdoor brands indicated that they had not designated a specific target customer. A comparison of the product size of outdoor jackets with a similar silhouette indicated some deviations among sizes; however, the age of customers was not considered. The human body tends to shrink in stature and increase in girth as a person ages; consequently, we need to reflect body shape changes and senior's size in outdoor wear.
senior men;outdoor wear;wearing condition;product size
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Cho, A. L., Son, Y. J., & Lee, I. S. (2014). A design development for the outdoor wear for new senior generation. Journal of Design Knowledge, 31, 65-75.
- Choi, C. K., & Hyun, S. K. (2000). The effect of physical activity on health-related psychological constructs in the older women. The Korean Journal of School Physical Education, 10, 97-108.
- Chung, T. R., Cho, K. M., & Won, D. Y. (2013). A qualitative study on the product price collusion among outdoor apparel brands. Korean Journal of Sport Management, 18(5), 11-22.
- 'Functional outdoor'. (2014, December 23). The financial news. Retrieved April 21, 2015, from http://www.fnnews.com
- Jung, E. Y. (2013, October 1). Active senior generation, a leading group of the outdoor market. Daegusinmun. Retrieved April 21, 2015, from http://www.idaegu.co.kr
- Kim, I. H., & Ha, J. S. (2012). A study on design characteristics in outdoor wear. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, 12(1), 93-109.
- Kim, M. J. (2014, October 14). Millet, smart outdoor attached a thermometer 'Gelato down' released. Hankook Media Network. Retrieved April 21, 2015, from http://www.economy.hankooki.com
- Kim, S. Y., & Lee, J. R. (2003). A study on the classification of elderly male's body type. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 27(6), 624-634.
- Koo, B. K. (2014, April 21). Does outdoor brand deal successfully with market saturation. Economy & Entertainment. Retrieved April 22, 2015, from http://www.eto.co.kr
- Lee, A. R. (2014a, February 26). 5070 Outdoor 'active senior' launching. Apparelnews. Retrieved January 22, 2015, from http://www.apparelnews.co.kr
- Lee, E. H. (2010). A Development of outdoor wear to be wearable as townwear -for women of their 20s and 30s-. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Lee, E. H. (2011). A study on the current state of outdoor clothing companie and their comparison and analysis according to the items. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 35(9), 1049-1059. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2011.35.9.1049. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2011.35.9.1049
- Lee, E. J. (2014b, August 30). Outdoor functionality combined with classic design released. New 1 Korea. Retrieved April 21, 2015, from http://www.news1.kr
- Ahn, I. S. (2003). An analysis of ready-to-wear in madam brand and a plan of development in jacket pattern of bodice for elderly women. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chungang University, Seoul.
- 'Casual and outdoor'. (2014, August 18). The Kyunghyang Shinmun. Retrieved April 21, 2015, from http://news.khan.co.kr
- Lee, N. H., & Kim, K. H. (2007). 고령자(노인)의 체형특성과 의생활 실태 : 사례연구를 중심으로 [Body characteristics of elderly and the actual wearing condition: focus on exampled research]. Proceedings of the Korea fashion & costume design association, Spring conference, Korea, pp. 36-39.
- Lee, S. Y. (2003). A study of classification of torso shape and the development of the basic bodice block for women in their sixties. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Konkuk University, Seoul.
- Lee, S. Y. (2007). Aging power (1st ed.). Seoul: Leader's book.
- Lee, Y. J., & Park, M. J. (2013). The middle-aged consumer's using active wear as casual wear based on the clothing benefits. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 21(5), 765-779. doi:10.7741/rjcc.2013.21.5.765 https://doi.org/10.7741/rjcc.2013.21.5.765
- Micromill embrain. (2011, October). Survey for outdoor product purchasing. Trend Monitor, pp. 18-20.
- Moon, S. I. (2008). A design of upper-torso bodice pattern for elderly women over 60 year old. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam National University, Daejeon.
- Oh, H. S. (2011). A study on the market of the outdoor wear. The treatise on the plastic media, 14(3), 99-104.
- Paek, K. J., Hwang, Y. M., & Lee, J. R. (2013). Actual wearing conditions and attitude: An initial report on an outdoor wearing survey for men and women in their 30s to 50s. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 15(5), 787-796. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.5.787. https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.5.787
- Park, W. M., Park, C. D., Lee, G R., & Na, J. E. (2002). Design process of outdoor-wear for improvement of comfort and appearance. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 52(8), 29-39.
- Rhee, Y. J., & Lee, E. O. (2011). The qualitative study on outdoor sportswear purchase behavior-focusing on functional fabric awareness level and benefits sought-. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 19(5), 1088-1101.
- Rho, Y. H., & Park, H. S. (2014). Development trends in comfort functional textile materials for outdoor sportswear. Fashion Information and Technology, 11, 41-49.
- Ryou, H. S. (2009). A study on the development of women's golf windbreaker design. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 33(3), 420-432. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2009.33.3.420
- Yu, E. J. (2014, December 2). Kolon sport, top of smart wear 'lifetech jacket 2015 ver.' released. EBN. Retrieved April 21, 2015, from http://www.ebn.co.kr
- A Product and Sizing System Investigation of Domestic and Foreign Dress form for Development of Senior Men's Dress form vol.18, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.5.708
- Classification of Upper Torso Somatotype for Development of Senior Men‘s Dressform vol.19, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2017.19.6.804
- The Actual Wearing Conditions of Formal Suits for Development of Senior Men’s Dressform vol.20, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.3.304